In Norway on 17th May

I am lucky enough to be in Norway on the 17th May. In Haugesund to be exact. I am very much looking forward to watching the celebrations and definitely do not want to do a tour but stay and watch the event.

I have two questions ?

1) Is there anything I should NOT do? 

And 

2) Is there anywhere I can find out what will be happening in Haugesund - In English 😌 because my Norwegian reading skills are appalling, many apologies.

Thanks

26 minutes ago, pinkpanther52 said:

2) Is there anywhere I can find out what will be happening in Haugesund - In English 😌 because my Norwegian reading skills are appalling, many apologies.

There is always Google translate which (sometimes) does a reasonable job. In addition, many websites will have a place to select the language; if there is a choice English will always be one of them.

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

There is always Google translate which (sometimes) does a reasonable job. In addition, many websites will have a place to select the language; if there is a choice English will always be one of them.

And so you might think but I did try that and I think it broke Google Translate 😥

5 hours ago, pinkpanther52 said:

1) Is there anything I should NOT do? 

- Dress sloppily. Typical dress when out and about on 17 mai is Sunday best. Men are often in suits, and women wear dresses or slacks and sweaters. While that may not necessarily be expected of visitors, dressing ultra casual may ruffle some feathers as not being respectful of the holiday.

- Wear a bunad that isn’t part of your heritage. This is a major point of contention for some people. Many people don’t care, but those who do are often quite vocal about it. If you don’t have a family history tying you to a specific bunad, stick to festdrakt or regular clothing.

- Carry a flag from another country. It’s the Norwegian national day, and many people find it rude or insensitive to carry another flag, since it’s essentially a celebration of Norway, whether it’s your home country or your host country.

- Expect public transit to run normally. Not only is it a holiday schedule, but parade routes often impact the transit routes.

5 hours ago, pinkpanther52 said:

The schedules aren’t usually out this early, but closer to the date you can search for “haugesund 17 mai program.” Here is the link for last year, which seems to Google Translate adequately:

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=no&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.haugesund.kommune.no/aktuelt/nyhetsarkiv/5207-17-mai-programmet-2018&xid=17259,15700021,15700186,15700190,15700248&usg=ALkJrhjCOF9ao-qb2chNKmeYfcggEemjDg

The barnetog (children’s parade) is typically the main event in most towns. It’s not an extravagant parade but rather a simple classic tradition. There are also usually some concerts after the parade as well as various other commemorations taking place around the cities (though they’re perhaps not terribly interesting of your Norwegian isn’t quite good).

Edited by kaisatsu

17 minutes ago, kaisatsu said:

- Dress sloppily. Typical dress when out and about on 17 mai is Sunday best. Men are often in suits, and women wear dresses or slacks and sweaters. While that may not necessarily be expected of visitors, dressing ultra casual may ruffle some feathers as not being respectful of the holiday.

- Wear a bunad that isn’t part of your heritage. This is a major point of contention for some people. Many people don’t care, but those who do are often quite vocal about it. If you don’t have a family history tying you to a specific bunad, stick to festdrakt or regular clothing.

- Carry a flag from another country. It’s the Norwegian national day, and many people find it rude or insensitive to carry another flag, since it’s essentially a celebration of Norway, whether it’s your home country or your host country.

- Expect public transit to run normally. Not only is it a holiday schedule, but parade routes often impact the transit routes.

The schedules aren’t usually out this early, but closer to the date you can search for “haugesund 17 mai program.” Here is the link for last year, which seems to Google Translate adequately:

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=no&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.haugesund.kommune.no/aktuelt/nyhetsarkiv/5207-17-mai-programmet-2018&xid=17259,15700021,15700186,15700190,15700248&usg=ALkJrhjCOF9ao-qb2chNKmeYfcggEemjDg

The barnetog (children’s parade) is typically the main event in most towns. It’s not an extravagant parade but rather a simple classic tradition. There are also usually some concerts after the parade as well as various other commemorations taking place around the cities (though they’re perhaps not terribly interesting of your Norwegian isn’t quite good).

Perfect and yes google translate is working fine in your link