Mazatlan Level 4 Travel Warning

seagunthera

43 minutes ago, Cruz3r4life said:

So I'm booked on the Bliss in October 2019 to go to Mazatlan however NCL does not even list this port off their main site, I wonder if this advisory has anything to do with it?

https://www.ncl.com/shore-excursions

When we were in Mazatlan with NCL earlier this year they had a number of shore excursions. If you wait a little longer they'll probably be listed for your cruise too.

On 2/4/2019 at 12:52 PM, seagunthera said:

So let me start by saying I've done this itinerary at least a half dozen times and various other Mexico cruises (Ensenada, Cabo, etc.) and have always felt safe going on excursions with independent operators.  This time around however, I am quite concerned about the Level 4 travel warning for Mazatlan which has a "do not travel" description. The other ports have remained steady at a Level 2 over the years but the state of Sinaloa now has a Level 4 (which I have never seen before).  

I originally booked a tour to Turtle Farms but am now thinking twice as it requires a 45 minute drive from the cruise port. 

Am interested to hear everyone's thoughts and experiences. 

We were planning on going the the turtle farm but are now re-thinking our decision.  

We are two solo senior ladies so I think we'll stick to the plaza area :(

• 3 weeks later...

Currently booked for November and my NCL cruise does not show any excursions either, nor on the website. I have been many times, if you go to the tourist stuff you won't have any problems.  We are looking for a free resort to relax at the pool and beach while we buy some food and drinks.

Not in the least bit concerned.  In fact, one of two options for a winter trip this year is to spend a month in Mexico prior to going to Costa Rica.   We will probably be in Cancun for an AI with my daughter's family.  Instead of flying home we plan to go to Merida, than to the Pacific coast and work our way up or down depending on our chosen route. .

Like the OP mentioned, we leave everything of value at home. To the point where I have a plastic travel watch and DW only takes costume jewelry.  We are aware of our surroundings, don't flash our money or credit cards about, and don't speak in loud voices so that everyone will know where we are from.  Same for travel to other countries.

Over the past few years we have spent time in at least four places that we not recommended by State at the time of our travels.  Thailand, Turkey, Greece, Paris,  South Africa etc.  We felt safer at that time in those countries/cities than we did in some of the large US cities that we have spent time in.  Lots of politics and CYA.  In most cases all that is required is a little common sense and an awareness of one's surroundings.

Edited by iancal