Dublin during May Day/Labor Day public Holiday

Calicokat

We arrive in Dun Loughaire on a public Holiday. We planned to go into Dublin. We prefer to see the city on our own. I am aware that Banks and many, if not all, museums will be closed. What about shops, will they be closed too? Wondering if someone could suggest a nice itinerary for the day. We’ve got approx. 8 hours before heading back to ship.  We planned on taxi and HoHo for transportation. Any and all advice- tips appreciated. 

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

What date are you actually arriving in Dun Laoghaire?  

Your thread title says 'May Day/Labour Day holiday'.  May Day (May 1st) is not a holiday in Ireland.  The first Monday in May is a holiday though!

Ship arrives Monday May 6 , a public holiday . Thank you for picking up on this 👍 I cant seem to edit my title. Most appreciated 

Edited by Calicokat

Correcto! May 6th is a holiday.  Buses and trains will run on reduced service.

You will be able to take the local train (DART) from DL to Dublin (and back again).

Probably you should get the 'Leap Visitor Card' as it will cover the DART, Bus, tram services.

get it here.  Get it mailed to your address as I don't think it can be purchased at Dun Laoghaire station.

HOHO buses will be running. Guiness Storehouse will be open, as will Book of Kells at Trinity College and Kilmainham Jail.  Most large stores will be open, though some may not open until noon or 2 pm.

You should pre book entrance tickets for the above, if interested, as you will be 'competing' with Irish weekenders for addmissions over the holiday weekend.

18 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Correcto! May 6th is a holiday.  Buses and trains will run on reduced service.

You will be able to take the local train (DART) from DL to Dublin (and back again).

Probably you should get the 'Leap Visitor Card' as it will cover the DART, Bus, tram services.

get it here.  Get it mailed to your address as I don't think it can be purchased at Dun Laoghaire station.

HOHO buses will be running. Guiness Storehouse will be open, as will Book of Kells at Trinity College and Kilmainham Jail.  Most large stores will be open, though some may not open until noon or 2 pm.

You should pre book entrance tickets for the above, if interested, as you will be 'competing' with Irish weekenders for addmissions over the holiday weekend.

Thank you again.youve been very helpful. This will be our first time in Dublin. I’ve travelled the entire west coast and prefer to see the city this time around.  Wondering what the cost of cab might be from DL Port to Dublin or vice versa . I’m assuming Taxi are readily available in town for the ride back  or could this be a problem on holiday? 

There is a taxi rank at Marine Road, in Dun Laoghaire.  It is the road uphill from the train station..

There may be a delay on taxis if a lot of cruisers decide to do this.  Dublin City centre will be ok for taxis for the return trip.

Here is a link to Dun Laoghaire Town website.  If you scroll down the page there is information on taxis.

I reckon that a taxi would be in the region of 40 to 50 euro from Dun Laoghare to Dublin City Centre. On the webpage that I linked there is an email address for a taxi company.  You could email them and ask for an estimate.  Also, if you wished, you could book them to meet you at the tender landing spot.

24 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

There is a taxi rank at Marine Road, in Dun Laoghaire.  It is the road uphill from the train station..

There may be a delay on taxis if a lot of cruisers decide to do this.  Dublin City centre will be ok for taxis for the return trip.

Here is a link to Dun Laoghaire Town website.  If you scroll down the page there is information on taxis.

I reckon that a taxi would be in the region of 40 to 50 euro from Dun Laoghare to Dublin City Centre. On the webpage that I linked there is an email address for a taxi company.  You could email them and ask for an estimate.  Also, if you wished, you could book them to meet you at the tender landing spot.

Thanks VMaxx !