N.O. Dream Cruise during Mardi Gras

duncmelsmom

We've been looking at a last minute 7 day cruise out of New Orleans for March 3 - March 10.  I just looked up when Mardi Gras is.  It's March 4 - March 8.

Am I asking for trouble?  Have any of you tried to get to port during one of, if not THE, busiest times in New Orleans?

It's only my husband and me.  I've had chemo and am not my full self.  I don't think that matters.

We would be driving in on March 2 from Atlanta and staying in Slidell the night before and parking at the port.

Hmmmmm.....

Thanks, y'all!!

Edited by duncmelsmom

49 minutes ago, duncmelsmom said:

We've been looking at a last minute 7 day cruise out of New Orleans for March 3 - March 10.  I just looked up when Mardi Gras is.  It's March 4 - March 8.

Am I asking for trouble?  Have any of you tried to get to port during one of, if not THE, busiest times in New Orleans?

It's only my husband and me.  I've had chemo and am not my full self.  I don't think that matters.

We would be driving in on March 2 from Atlanta and staying in Slidell the night before and parking at the port.

Hmmmmm.....

Thanks, y'all!!

I sailed out of NOLA during Halloween, probably the 2nd busiest.  I stayed close to the airport and made reservations months ahead.  No one was moving in downtown New Orleans early in the morning.

If you have the hotel located at a good price, go and have a wonderful cruise!  We booked a New Orleans cruise then began looking for our pre-cruise hotel.  Found a not-great hotel in the Garden District and the price (especially for what it was) was completely outrageous!

I have cruised on the Dream twice during Mardi Gras. The trick to avoiding heavy traffic is getting to the ship early, before 10AM is best. Stay on the interstate and expressway until the exit to the ship. With 2 large ships in port there will probably be slow traffic for 2 blocks from the expressway to the parking lot but you will have plenty of time to spare.

We did the exact same thing last year except we stayed in Hammond (recommend staying there) and parked at the port.  We arrived  at the port at about 9 with no problems.  Parked the car and let the porters have our checked luggage.  Left our carry ons in the car and went to the French Quarter for the day. (Walking distance or a short cab ride).  Crowds were not bad at all and had a great time.  Saw a parade on Canal Street, ate fantastic food.  Went back to the port  very last minute and were literally the only ones in the terminal.  Easiest, and best, embarkation I have ever had.

Be advised that sometimes the parades can cause temporary traffic problems so do not wait until the last minute to head to port.  Great time to be in New Orleans though.  We had no problems at all.  Look forward to doing it again.   

• Like 2

Great suggestions, thank you!  We usually stay at the Microtel in Slidell the night before a cruise, but it was booked.  We're going to stay in Haddiesburg.  We can't get on the ship until 1:30, but you'd better believe we'll be down there early.  I didn't think about early morning being quiet in N.O.  That makes sense!  We also got covered parking in Fulton Garage.  I was surprised that there were still some spots available!

I can't believe how many rooms are available on the ship.  Maybe that's a good sign.  I'm so excited.  We usually book a year or more in advance.  We needed this last minute decision of a trip so badly!!

Thanks again, y'all!!

On Mar 3 there are 3 day parades and a night parade.  So the parades run pretty much all day - but they don't get to the downtown area until after noon.  If you get to the port area before 11ish you should be fine.  No problems on the 8th - by then the party is over.  The parades do end not far from the port in case you're interested in seeing one or two.

• 4 months later...
On 2/4/2019 at 9:50 PM, mexicobob said:

We did the exact same thing last year except we stayed in Hammond (recommend staying there) and parked at the port.  We arrived  at the port at about 9 with no problems.  Parked the car and let the porters have our checked luggage.  Left our carry ons in the car and went to the French Quarter for the day. (Walking distance or a short cab ride).  Crowds were not bad at all and had a great time.  Saw a parade on Canal Street, ate fantastic food.  Went back to the port  very last minute and were literally the only ones in the terminal.  Easiest, and best, embarkation I have ever had.

Be advised that sometimes the parades can cause temporary traffic problems so do not wait until the last minute to head to port.  Great time to be in New Orleans though.  We had no problems at all.  Look forward to doing it again.   

Hi. Is the Hammond the name of the hotel or is it......Holiday Inn, Hammond? Just trying to get info so that I can begin figuring out where we will be staying.  Thanks for your help....

9 hours ago, Moonglo said:

Hi. Is the Hammond the name of the hotel or is it......Holiday Inn, Hammond? Just trying to get info so that I can begin figuring out where we will be staying.  Thanks for your help....

Hammond is the name of the town.  About 60 miles or so north of New Orleans.  Several motels there...……...think we stayed at a Comfort Inn, as well as restaurants.  It is better to stay in The New Orleans area but during Mardi Gras that either will be impossible or very expensive.