Is Buying Cruise Insurance + Flight Insurance Necessary?

harryw

8 minutes ago, harryw said:

I’m buying comprehensive cruise insurance and will purchase nonrefundable air tickets. Is it necessary to

purchase flight insurance from the airline?

It would probably make more sense to get third party insurance that would cover ALL of the trip, from the time you've walked out your front door, until you walk back in.  Aside from full coverage, there'd be no quarrelling among insurers about who should cover some expense.

We use an insurance broker, www.TripInsuranceStore.com - we learned about them here on CC a few years ago.

CALL them; don't just compare online policy summaries.  There's too much that cannot be included in that space.

We've purchase policies from the insurer Travel Insured, through TIS, and they've paid several claims very promptly, including two large claims.

GC

Learned from here that buying from the cruise line, the insurance terms tend to favor the cruise line.  As GC says check out a few third-party travel insurance brokers, their premiums should be better and terms more favorable to the traveler.

Edited by Philob

Make sure to go on-line and read the cruise lines policies.  Many offer very little for significant payment.  Many Chase & Citi credit cards offer all the trip interruption/cancellation insurance you will need for FREE.  And they pay their claims.

13 minutes ago, SedonaJoel said:

Make sure to go on-line and read the cruise lines policies.  Many offer very little for significant payment.  Many Chase & Citi credit cards offer all the trip interruption/cancellation insurance you will need for FREE.  And they pay their claims.

This seems to be a good solution *IF* the cost to be insured doesn't exceed the card coverage *AND* if you do not have any pre-existing conditions that might interfere with claims.

GC

I have another question. Let’s say my flight is cancelled and there is no way to make alternate flight arrangements to get to the ship on time or pick up the ship at a later port. Which dollar limit category should I be searching the insurance policy for to see if the entire cruise fare would be reimbursed?

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

This seems to be a good solution *IF* the cost to be insured doesn't exceed the card coverage *AND* if you do not have any pre-existing conditions that might interfere with claims.

GC

If the cost of the trip exceeds the $20,000 CSR limit - you can split the payment among multiple cards.  Your spouse can also get their own CSR card and you can charge $20,000 to each card - if your cost exceeds that get a Chase Ink Executive card and use your Citi premier card if necessary.  I had to do that for a recent $55,000 cruise.  For the credit card insurance "pre-existing conditions" means something you were treated for in the 60 days before payment (not just taking medications or seeing your doctor for checkups.  (read the benefit booklets for each card).

Edited by SedonaJoel

2 hours ago, harryw said:

I have another question. Let’s say my flight is cancelled and there is no way to make alternate flight arrangements to get to the ship on time or pick up the ship at a later port. Which dollar limit category should I be searching the insurance policy for to see if the entire cruise fare would be reimbursed?

You will have to read the benefits brochures and/or call the benefits provider for each card.  Call the number on the back of your credit card and they will connect you.

• 3 weeks later...

Always get travel insurance I use Travel Guard. I rather spend that extra 150.00 better safe than sorry. Travel Guard even emails you policy cards to print out. The amount of coverage get depends on what type of trip I do. But my last trip to New Orleans(non-cruise) I never had to use it. I haven been using travel guard for 20 years. whether a cruise, a weekend trip on Amtrak, and especially if I am flying. Many travel experts, travel agents, travel magazines recommend travel insurance.  Always compare travel insurance companies and see which one will work best for you