Seabourn vs. Crystal

aardogfsu

Have any of you sailed RECENTLY on both Crystal and Seabourn? If you have, how would you compare them? Which would you choose and why? I am interested in your comparison of staterooms, food, service, general ambiance, entertainment (both on stage and in lounges), dress code (and who it is implemented by passengers, friendliness of passengers, etc.)

If you haven't sailed on Seabourn I would definitely suggest that you also look at comparisons of Crystal with the O class ships in the SB fleet, ie Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest if the cruise you're interested will be on one of those ships. 

Stickman1990 did a very thorough and interesting review, but the cruise was on Encore.

As a Seabourn regular I do not like the new ships and found several issues on my cruise on Ovation that Stickman was writing about on the Encore. Issues that I have never encountered on the O class ships. To the extent that I'm highly unlikely to choose to sail on either Encore or Ovation again.

So in my experience of Seabourn there is a considerable difference in experience between the smaller ships and the two new ones.

And I should add, to be fair, that there are plenty of SB regulars who actually prefer the new ships. 

What I have heard about Crystal's ocean going cruise ships is that they are more than twice the size passenger numbers-wise of the Odyssey class ships and their normal cabins ie non-penthouse level cabins are much smaller. Who needs that. On the plus side there is the view that there is "more to do" and they are glitzier. Maybe this has to to with their age and style that period with that customer base wanted.

So my suggestion is to check out the specifics online, the routes and prices, and discuss with friends who have tried both. Maybe that will give you a pointer to which line, and within Seabourn with its Odyssey and larger Encore class ships, suit you for your cruise. Then you can always try choice 2 later.

FYI, I have never tried Crystal, nor do I intend to do so. I am happy with the selection of product across Seabourn's Ody class (Enc class less so), Cunard's QM2 (Victoria less so), and Silversea (Muse set to try, Whisper not so much) so far.

Happy and healthy sailing!

8 hours ago, aardogfsu said:

Have any of you sailed RECENTLY on both Crystal and Seabourn? If you have, how would you compare them? Which would you choose and why? I am interested in your comparison of staterooms, food, service, general ambiance, entertainment (both on stage and in lounges), dress code (and who it is implemented by passengers, friendliness of passengers, etc.)

Remember that any comparisons you get here on CC will be nothing more than a personal opinion. Everyone has different tastes, priorities and dislikes which will be reflected in their responses so that must be considered in what I call "lawsuit" posts....one cruise line VS another.

I’ve cruised regularly (2-3 times yearly) for the past 10 years, mostly on Seabourn as it had been my preferred cruise line. In 2015 I sailed on Crystal for the first time and though I really enjoyed it, the set seating was not to my liking. Recently Crystal has switched to open dining and I just stepped off of the Symphony a few days ago. Today I give Crystal the edge over Seabourn but every cruisers likes and dislikes differ.

What I prefer on Crystal:

Service - Seabourn used to be unbeatable, but with the new builds all over the industry, too many experienced crew have left the company. On Crystal there is a balanced number of senior staff and new hires resulting in outstanding service.

Dining - Not only do I prefer the food, I also prefer the dining options, especially at lunchtime. The MDR is open for breakfast and lunch on Crystal. It is now rare to find the MDR open for lunch on Seabourn.

Animation - There is ALWAYS something going on. I do enjoy the Signature events on Seabourn like Rock the Boat, Opera under the Stars and Officers on Deck, but the diversity on is better on Crystal.

Pool deck - Visually, the pool deck is nicer on Seabourn however the loungers are much more comfortable and always available on Crystal. There are no food odors as the grill is behind a sliding glass door (this also prevents having dripping wet passengers going up to the grill for a quick bite before jumping back in the water). And best of all, it’s never too crowded to be enjoyed.

WiFi - Unlimited for all pax with a one time only simple sign in. I am one cruise away from unlimited WiFi on Seabourn, up until that point is reached you must log in, log out several times per day and always check to see how much time is left. 

The included champagne - Jacquart is better than NF

What I prefer on Seabourn:

Cabins - This is mentioned in every comparison between the 2 lines. The standard cabin is much more spacious than the equivalent on Crystal. The same for the PH cabins, Seabourn’s are larger and more comfortable. The PH cabins on Crystal, however, do come with a few extra perks.

Guest Services - Being in the Seabourn Square, the set up is more pleasant. I don’t spend very much time in the square but the concept is very nice and appreciated by many pax.

Pre-dinner apéritif - The Cove is lovely on Crystal in a beautiful setting, but I prefer the Observation lounge even if they are pouring NF rather than Jacquart.

Caviar - Included on Seabourn, available with supplement on Crystal.

Voila, these are the points that are important to me and these are just my opinions. Different passengers have different priorities; gym equipment, officer interaction, trivia, cooking classes, lectures etc...The other evening at the Cove I overheard someone say they tried Seabourn and it was way too small, only 200 passengers...now those were the days. Different strokes

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wripro said:

Remember that any comparisons you get here on CC will be nothing more than a personal opinion

Are there any reviews anywhere that aren’t personal opinion?

The worst kind of reviews are those from people who haven’t actually experienced things for themselves but have “read” about it but feel qualified to pronounce on things

I guess it comes down to whether you “rate” the person and their opinion - and that in itself is a matter of opinion - now whether you trust yourself to make that decision is another discussion 🙂

39 minutes ago, Les Picantins said:

I’ve cruised regularly (2-3 times yearly) for the past 10 years, mostly on Seabourn as it had been my preferred cruise line. In 2015 I sailed on Crystal for the first time and though I really enjoyed it, the set seating was not to my liking. Recently Crystal has switched to open dining and I just stepped off of the Symphony a few days ago. Today I give Crystal the edge over Seabourn but every cruisers likes and dislikes differ.

Thats a great summary which hit many of the things we found too

We did our first sailing on the Seabourn Ovation in December for 18 nights and our first Crystal on the Symphony last month for 19 nights. So one cruise on each line may not be a fair comparison but at least they were similar lengths, similar amount of sea days and close in time to one another. We wrote reviews on both which you can easily find.

FOR us, purely personal view, we would choose Crystal over Seabourn. Yes the ship is larger and more people but the space per passenger was much more comfortable on Crystal. The service levels were much higher on Crystal, quality and variety of dining far superior, entertainment and enrichment superior, Crystal actually knows how to make a mixed drink and a cocktail whereas Seabourn drinks were the worst we have had at sea (main lines far superior). Crystal had the best room service we have experienced. Crystal better for fitness, promenade deck and jogging track, tennis court. Almost impossible to walk anywhere on Seabourn ship.

Seabourn cabin far superior if that is important to you, Seabourn square a better informal public space (but food offerings poor), visibility and interaction with officers better (but Crystal tends to have a layer of middle management that renders this less necessary). More dedicated events and parties on Seabourn but general night life much better on Crystal.

Had a good time on both and would sail either again but given a choice would definitely be Crystal for us (caveat want to try the smaller Seabourn ships).

interestingly my parents have always been huge Seabourn fans but have heard so many disappointing reviews and feedback from friends that they have requested their future deposits be refunded.

you should post the question in both forums if you are concerned you won’t receive balanced feedback

1 hour ago, wripro said:

Remember that any comparisons you get here on CC will be nothing more than a personal opinion. Everyone has different tastes, priorities and dislikes which will be reflected in their responses so that must be considered in what I call "lawsuit" posts....one cruise line VS another.

Just out of curiosity what do you want these forums to be? Purely discussions on facts? A forum is an online gathering of discussion it is bound to include opinions. From what I read most people give their opinion with qualifications of what they like or value.

The op is clearly after opinions, provided no one is making false statements I can’t see where there is libel?

4 hours ago, Isklaar said:

If you haven't sailed on Seabourn I would definitely suggest that you also look at comparisons of Crystal with the O class ships in the SB fleet, ie Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest if the cruise you're interested will be on one of those ships. 

Stickman1990 did a very thorough and interesting review, but the cruise was on Encore.

As a Seabourn regular I do not like the new ships and found several issues on my cruise on Ovation that Stickman was writing about on the Encore. Issues that I have never encountered on the O class ships. To the extent that I'm highly unlikely to choose to sail on either Encore or Ovation again.

So in my experience of Seabourn there is a considerable difference in experience between the smaller ships and the two new ones.

And I should add, to be fair, that there are plenty of SB regulars who actually prefer the new ships. 

Hi Isklaar,

did you ever ever do a final report/review on your recent Ovation sailing? Would be interested to see what your final impressions were (I remember you posted your initial thoughts).

47 minutes ago, teamflames said:

Hi Isklaar,

did you ever ever do a final report/review on your recent Ovation sailing? Would be interested to see what your final impressions were (I remember you posted your initial thoughts).

Thank you for asking! I didn't finish drafting it yet but hope to have it posted in the next week or so.

Seabourn and Crystal are our favorite lines and we sailed both relatively recently: Crystal North Cape in July/18 and Seabourn East Coast Canada in Sept/18. 

Things we prefer on Seabourn:

Seabourn Square
Ventures by Seabourn
Caviar on demand
Shopping with the Chef
Suite accommodation
More interesting itineraries
Loyalty program with tangible benefits

Things we prefer on Crystal:

Magic Castle at Sea
Fabulous enrichment
Computer University at Sea
Specialty restaurant Umi Uma
Outstanding cocktail list and excellent bartenders
Wrap-around promenade
Free wifi

All our SB sailings have been on the O-class ships.  We will soon venture onto Encore and our opinion may change!  Isklaar, looking forward to reading your review of Ovation.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, teamflames said:

Just out of curiosity what do you want these forums to be? Purely discussions on facts? A forum is an online gathering of discussion it is bound to include opinions. From what I read most people give their opinion with qualifications of what they like or value.

The op is clearly after opinions, provided no one is making false statements I can’t see where there is libel?

What I want is for these forums to be exactly what they are. The point of my post was to affirm that any post is just an opinion and what is important to one person may not be to another so the only real way to determine which line is better is  to experience both lines and decide for yourself. 

2 minutes ago, wripro said:

What I want is for these forums to be exactly what they are. The point of my post was to affirm that any post is just an opinion and what is important to one person may not be to another so the only real way to determine which line is better is  to experience both lines and decide for yourself. 

ok great, when you mention lawsuits I interpret that to mean you think there is slanderous behaviour occurring. I was concerned you feel people should not be expressing opinions which would be strange given the website is called Cruise Critic (ie critique your views on cruises) and half the website is devoted to actual reviews. It would seem normal in providing critiques that some comparison with other cruises is used.

Personally I agree with you on trying both lines, my wife and I are not brand loyal at all and have sailed on P&O Australia, Celebrity, HAL, NCL, MSC, Regent, Seabourn, Crystal and Viking with upcoming sailings on Azamara. Despite that I still love this threads to understand what different people prefer, in this thread you can see one poster rates the suites of Seabourn very highly while others prefer public spaces and activities.

I have learnt by trying both products that while I appreciated having internet on Crystal (not included on Seabourn) it would not be a factor in choosing between the lines. I learnt that I appreciated the quality of shore excursions on Regent but still don't consider them value enough to pay the extra, likewise I loved the Viking ships but having basic shore excursions and poor internet is no value to me and I would rather a line that includes more beverages.

20 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

Seabourn and Crystal are our favorite lines and we sailed both relatively recently: Crystal North Cape in July/18 and Seabourn East Coast Canada in Sept/18

Great list and one I pretty much echo

Another plus for Seabourn is the prizes for activities like Trivia, Baggo and Putting

i would attention “Service and Food” to the Crystal pluses 

Edited by Stickman1990

3 minutes ago, teamflames said:

ok great, when you mention lawsuits I interpret that to mean you think there is slanderous behaviour occurring. I was concerned you feel people should not be expressing opinions which would be strange given the website is called Cruise Critic (ie critique your views on cruises) and half the website is devoted to actual reviews. It would seem normal in providing critiques that some comparison with other cruises is used.

Personally I agree with you on trying both lines, my wife and I are not brand loyal at all and have sailed on P&O Australia, Celebrity, HAL, NCL, MSC, Regent, Seabourn, Crystal and Viking with upcoming sailings on Azamara. Despite that I still love this threads to understand what different people prefer, in this thread you can see one poster rates the suites of Seabourn very highly while others prefer public spaces and activities.

I have learnt by trying both products that while I appreciated having internet on Crystal (not included on Seabourn) it would not be a factor in choosing between the lines. I learnt that I appreciated the quality of shore excursions on Regent but still don't consider them value enough to pay the extra, likewise I loved the Viking ships but having basic shore excursions and poor internet is no value to me and I would rather a line that includes more beverages.

Lawsuits is just me trying to be funny since these requests for comparisons are always couched as one vs. another.

3 minutes ago, wripro said:

Lawsuits is just me trying to be funny since these requests for comparisons are always couched as one vs. another.

Ah got you! I have seen a few of your posts on those lines and I interpreted that you are disapproving of such threads

23 hours ago, teamflames said:

Ah got you! I have seen a few of your posts on those lines and I interpreted that you are disapproving of such threads

Not at all. I think these threads can be helpful as long as people realize these are just opinions subject to the posters' own tastes. 

29 minutes ago, wripro said:

Not at all. I think these threads can be helpful as long as people realize these are just opinions subject to the posters' own tastes. 

So copies of menus, daily newsletters and other data such as room sizes and layouts, free or chargeable Wi-Fi etc are opinions? I don’t think so 

Sure there are opinions on some points but there are many facts which are relevant to a comparison between lines 

As an example I believe that a comparison between say a McDonalds hamburger and one on Crystal or Seabourn could differentiate the offerings - even if just to post a picture or comment on the contents and presentation - some opinions rely on a basis of fact - and that is where the knowledge of those who have actually travelled on the ships and used the product is valuable 

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

So copies of menus, daily newsletters and other data such as room sizes and layouts, free or chargeable Wi-Fi etc are opinions? I don’t think so 

Sure there are opinions on some points but there are many facts which are relevant to a comparison between lines 

As an example I believe that a comparison between say a McDonalds hamburger and one on Crystal or Seabourn could differentiate the offerings - even if just to post a picture or comment on the contents and presentation - some opinions rely on a basis of fact - and that is where the knowledge of those who have actually travelled on the ships and used the product is valuable 

Bye bye!!!!!

On 2/6/2019 at 10:12 AM, Stickman1990 said:

i would attention “Service and Food” to the Crystal pluses 

I'm inclined to agree with you, even though there are some aspects of dining on SB that we prefer over Crystal.  Sadly we've noticed service levels on SB have indeed declined since we started sailing with them in 2014.  Your Crystal posts, especially the photos from Umi Uma, are making me envious.