Notes from Armonia Miami-Havana Jan 2019

Beamafar

9 minutes ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

I'm not from Phily, but I am in PA.  I suppose you like the Patriots, too.  :classic_ohmy:

Don't even know who, or what, the Patriots are!  (Another sacrilege, I know ...  though I've heard of them, alright.  Does being Irish get me off the hook? 😮)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beamafar said:

Don't even know who, or what, the Patriots are!  (Another sacrilege, I know ...  though I've heard of them, alright.  Does being Irish get me off the hook? 😮)

Not knowing who they are is bonus points enough.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Bea, I'm intrigued by the benefits of a Fantastica suite. We've sailed in an Aurea balcony and Aurea suite, the only difference being the size of the cabin, we received no additional other benefits but I note you refer to suite benefits in your review.

I was looking at a mock Armonia sailing, if you select suite, it doesn't state anything about flexible dining/separate restaurant. There is nothing different listed under benefits between a balcony cabin and a suite. Is there a list of these benefits anywhere?

With the significant decrease in the value of an Aurea package I'm interested if a Fantastica Suite would deliver enough instead.

If we ever go to Grand Caymen again and there's a queue for the priority tender, I'll know whose's responsible 😉

47 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

If we ever go to Grand Caymen again and there's a queue for the priority tender, I'll know whose's responsible 😉

:classic_biggrin: :classic_biggrin: :classic_biggrin:

Yeah ... we booked the Fantastica suite over the Aurea one as it included what we most wanted, which was MyChoice dining, but only on this class ship ... IINM (with the new ships offering different set-ups it's getting difficult to say anything with any certainty anymore. Life was much simpler when there were only the 3 classes of ship).  I really don't know if this benefit is indicated anywhere, CF, other than seeing it on the daily planner.

For our booking, the Classic drinks package was included (we upgraded to Deluxe for the pittance of €7 pppd) plus 2 Havana excursions, as well as the Social internet package (which was of no use to us as we don't do social media) so, all in all, the Fantastica suite was perfect for us.  The extra cost for Aurea wasn't warranted as we don't bother with massages or the private sundeck (though we were given free passes for that, anyway  :classic_biggrin:).

We certainly got the same level of attention from both our steward and all the crew in the dining room as we did when we were in an Aurea suite on Sinfonia and I wouldn't hesitate to book a Fantastica suite again.  There is a caveat, however, and that is in relation to the cabin locations ...  all of the F suites are beneath the grill or pizza area of the buffet and the pool deck (I intend to discuss this later on);  although some of the A suites are located beneath the pool deck, too, on deck 10, others are on deck 12, beneath the private Solarium, which is a better location (though they're at the forward part of the ship, which has its disadvantages, too, especially with the rough weather that we had).

The Fantastica suites on the Lirica class were added during the Renaissance ('stretching') programme.  Now ... these differ from Fantastica balcony cabins.  As you can see from the cabin photos, the room is bigger and, IIRC, is the same size as the Aurea suite we had on Sinfonia (there are no Aurea balcony cabins on Lirica-class - only suites).

On Sinfonia, they had a different set-up to what we experienced on Armonia ... only Aurea guests got a special dining area for breakfast and lunch (in the MDR on deck 5).  It was only dinner that Fantastica suites got to dine in the deck 6 MyChoice dining room.

On Armonia, all suite guests got to dine in La Pergola (on deck 6) for all meals (except on disembarkation day, when the restaurant was closed.  (Oh ... and on some ports days, it was closed for lunch, too.  I'll have to check the planners before I can say which ones).  Now ... I have a story about this one (geez ... don't I always LOL)  We weren't aware, at embarkation, that we could go to La Pergola for breakfast and lunch as we assumed that it was the same set-up as Sinfonia.  Anyway ...

As I'd said earlier on, the Hotel Director, Robert, paid a visit to our table on 'Elegant' night (which was the second night onboard - keep in mind, at this point, that we'd had breakfast in the cabin that morning).  We had already met him that morning at the M&M so were quite comfortable having a banter with him.   In the course of conversation, something was said about the dining situation in La Pergola;  whatever it was (can't quite remember exactly what), I said that, unfortunately, as we weren't Aurea guests, we couldn't enjoy the restaurant benefit for breakfast and lunch.  Robert said "Of course you can - just tell them that Robert said it was OK.  I'm the only Robert onboard so they'll know who it is!"  Well ... the next day I happened to read the daily planner (which sometimes I don't bother to do  🙄) and discovered that it's clearly written under the restaurant's dining times "Aurea, Wellness & Fantastica Suite guests only".  So much for Robert's "gesture"!  

Edited by Beamafar
  • Haha 1

Thanks Bea, I'd assumed just for this class of ship but this would make a massive difference if a F suite included MyChoice dining. We do like the private sundeck but I'd be happy to pay the daily rate. Some of the Aurea benefits are nullified by BC VC anyway. We use the 'free' massage and spa when included but it's not a deciding factor.

We've never been to the MDR for breakfast, I don't eat it so DH has nibbles delivered and I can only remember a couple of occasions we've had lunch in the MDR, I'm not big on lunch either and/or are frequently in port.

Alternatively, we could find Robert for a personal 'upgrade' 😂

The evening arrangement is a deal breaker though.

So, an F suite, MyChoice Dining and paying for Premium drink package (although I'm uncertain on the cost, 39E a day I believe) would work better than A balcony with Easy.

We're booked until March 2020, including a long repositioning so DH has forbidden me from booking anything else (yeah, right!) but it's most useful to know we have other options that would be suitable. Your experience, is as ever invaluable 😘

Thanks for you review, Bea!  We got a great price for March 2020, and I was debating on Aurea versus Fantastica!  You helped us make the decision!  Now, time to get ready from Seaside in three weeks!

CF ... I have the same approach as you to Aurea.  You're so right about being Black in VC negating some of the benefits.

Before, I would compare the price with Fantastica, then take account for the value of the included drinks package;  often the difference was little enough to warrant going Aurea.  That doesn't seem to be the case going forward (to use that awful expression!)

CF ... I was doing the math for the cost of the Premium package from both our Aug/Sep Med cruise and our Oct/Nov US-based one - it's €39 for the Med and ... wait for it:  ... $62 for the US!!

So, while MSC has (finally) seen sense and now only have the same named packages, they're still charging more on US-based ships.  Now, I know that the selection for Deluxe was more comprehensive in the US, but I've no idea if it's the case for the Premium.  The Premium on Med sailings - on my booking - is indicating that it covers drinks up to €10;  but on my Meraviglia booking (US sailing) it's only indicating drinks up to $12, which I know is not true as I had wine up to $14 and champagne up to $14.75!  Yet, there are drinks on the Connoisseurs' Selection for less than €12 that aren't included.  (Though, maybe that was because we had Deluxe?? )

Jeez ... MSC - what are you at?!!!  I'm now more confused than I was onboard! 🙄

Edited by Beamafar

23 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Thanks for you review, Bea!  We got a great price for March 2020, and I was debating on Aurea versus Fantastica!  You helped us make the decision!  Now, time to get ready from Seaside in three weeks!

Hope you have a wonderful time on Seaside, John.  Go n'éiri an farraige leat, a chara!  :classic_biggrin: (Or maybe not LOL!)

Edited by Beamafar

44 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

CF ... I have the same approach as you to Aurea.  You're so right about being Black in VC negating some of the benefits.

Before, I would compare the price with Fantastica, then take account for the value of the included drinks package;  often the difference was little enough to warrant going Aurea.  That doesn't seem to be the case going forward (to use that awful expression!)

CF ... I was doing the math for the cost of the Premium package from both our Aug/Sep Med cruise and our Oct/Nov US-based one - it's €39 for the Med and ... wait for it:  ... $62 for the US!!

So, while MSC has (finally) seen sense and now only have the same named packages, they're still charging more on US-based ships.  Now, I know that the selection for Deluxe was more comprehensive in the US, but I've no idea if it's the case for the Premium.  The Premium on Med sailings - on my booking - is indicating that it covers drinks up to €10;  but on my Meraviglia booking (US sailing) it's only indicating drinks up to $12, which I know is not true as I had wine up to $14 and champagne up to $14.75!  Yet, there are drinks on the Connoisseurs' Selection for less than €12 that aren't included.  (Though, maybe that was because we had Deluxe?? )

Jeez ... MSC - what are you at?!!!  I'm now more confused than I was onboard! 🙄

Clear and consistent.....not! If you're confused, imagine how it is for us amateurs :classic_blink:

I've just priced ours and it's the same, Premium for the Fjords is £36ppd and for the US Meraviglia it's £48pppd.  There are currently no drinks package options for our repo next year.

I was very happy with my options and the value of the packages, why have they had to make me so confused and that the value element isn't there any longer - for us anyway.

I've derailed your review, my apologies.

Not at all!  I love when it's my own thread and I can discuss anything that comes up without having to apologise to the OP!  The thread will get back on track when (if) I can get back on Tapatalk, which is the only way I can upload photos.  'Til then, I'm enjoying the distraction.

Anyway ... we're mainly discussing cabin category options and drinks packages, so no derailment, really.

Out of curiosity, what repo are you doing?  (See, I can quite easily de-rail my own thread - all by myself  :classic_biggrin:.  I'm sure there are some on here who'd even say it makes a change from me de-railing others' threads  :classic_blink:)

• Like 1

It has given me a welcome distraction from Storm Erik, who is currently battering the North of our fine Isle.

I'm sure other are appreciative, with all of the ship classes and alternate cabins and new drink options it's certainly very helpful to know of the differences. Particularly for the older class ships, threads understandably do focus on the new classes and ships.

We are doing Shanghai to Dubai, 28 days, hence no further bookings allowed - even if I could work out what to book!

Nice one!  We did the Dubai-Yokohama one on Splendida last year (you may remember).  Be prepared for unsettled weather;  we had fabulous weather 'til we reached Singapore.  Then it changed and we had a change of ports in Vietnam and we totally missed Shanghai.  (We got a 50% discount voucher as a result, which we've used for our Oct/Nov Meraviglia sailing, so no complaints here!)

I do indeed as we sailed Splendida just prior, we'd looked at the same repo itinerary but couldn't make the dates work. I am hoping that if we begin with unsettled weather as we sail East, the weather will be warmer and more stable, we sail from Shanghai to Japan, then Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore etc. After India we head into the Persian Gulf, so some sunshine there at least. Fingers crossed - after the cold of Norway and NYC/Canada I've promised DH some warmth and sunshine...eek :classic_huh:

• Haha 1

What a fantastic trip, CF (and Bea, I remember your fantastic trip too). I could swing a significant time off work but unfortunately DW is much more limited in that regard so we are stuck and unable to book the longer itineraries like that - although would love to do them. Suspect this will need to wait for retirement. 😞

A lot of the the appeal is dietary - I am a complete philistine when it comes to 'exotic' cuisines so I love the idea of having a ship with Western fare (and booze!) onboard standing by, to return to after a day spent in exotic locales (where I couldn't eat the food for any length of time).

I'm planning a Colombian -> Caribbean trip next year although would love either the Fjords, Alaska or New England type trips for my next thereafter. I'm getting more keen on booking far in advance - usually I'd do it within 9 months or so but I need a schedule extending well over a year now to keep me going!

Edited by Captain-John
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

...A lot of the the appeal is dietary - I am a complete philistine when it comes to 'exotic' cuisines so I love the idea of having a ship with Western fare (and booze!) onboard standing by, to return to after a day spent in exotic locales (where I couldn't eat the food for any length of time).

A man after my own heart, Cap'n.  We've visited Vietnam as part of a cruise;  while I would love to do a land trip (it's such a wonderful country and the people are incredibly friendly), like you, the food is a problem for me.  It's one of the biggest pluses about cruises, for sure!

Just now, Beamafar said:

A man after my own heart, Cap'n.  We've visited Vietnam as part of a cruise;  while I would love to do a land trip (it's such a wonderful country and the people are incredibly friendly), like you, the food is a problem for me.  It's one of the biggest pluses about cruises, for sure!

I'm so glad - at times, I've thought it is a terrible thing to say as a fully grown adult who likes to think he is well travelled and open to new experiences, but I honestly couldn't fully enjoy myself in these places having to adapt my diet to the local cuisine. I think the same about Japan for example - it would be a fantastic, out of this world experience, but I could barely eat (or it would be hideously expensive - steak for breakfast, lunch and dinner?!) - so suspect I will only be able to see places like that by sea. Thankfully 'our type' can be catered for (pardon the pun!). 🙂

• Like 1

I was just thinking that I'd better get this thread back on track for those interested in this itinerary LOL.  However, the Tapatalk app is still acting up (or my mobile data is;  my mobile broadband has been hit and miss today, too - maybe due to the storm?).  Anyway, I'll keep trying and, hopefully, I'll get some more photos uploaded soon.  Please bear with me ... I find it easier to report alongside the photos;  it helps with the timeline.

1 minute ago, CruisingFox27 said:

I'm the opposite, I love to eat the cuisine of the region I'm visiting and will definitely be sampling some authentic Asian food on our travels. Not sure if I'll go for deep fried insects....

I envy people like you, CF.  Even on the ship, my choices are very limited.

• Like 1

Here's the 'daily specials' for breakfast the morning of our Grand Cayman call:

f53fc8cf70dcff65f249ac878d388754.jpg

After we returned to the ship from Georgetown, we decided to hang out at the pool as it was practically deserted. I decided to check out the gelato offerings as they are free on this ship. I rarely eat the stuff, mind, so it was for research purposes. I really wanted to try the soft-serve as I've never come across it before. Anyway, I couldn't have either!!! The server didn't know how to use the machine (she hadn't been trained to [emoji849]) and the gelato was too hard to scoop!

What I did find out was that there were only 3 flavours available (I passed by on another day and the flavours were different)

e4de5725aa59b48cf7ce03ab6ae2d41d.jpg

7c47ee8f969d8403100a3d01af832517.jpg

So ... while we were sitting, enjoying the peace and quiet at the pool, who should come along only Robert, accompanied by another officer. We had the usual few words of "Hello ... cruise is going well" etc and only realised as they walked away, both smiling very nicely at us, that he was, in fact, with Captain Scala. I'd hardly even looked at the man and realised, too late, that I'd missed a golden opportunity both for a photo and also to thank him for his generosity [emoji33]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

We went for lunch and discovered that they had set up tables out on the deck at the back of the restaurant. Now, I had read beforehand that Aurea guests would get to dine al fresco but this actually extends to all those who dine in La Pergola.

08abdb7b04dd13a06dc777d0e29ca270.jpg

We chose a table right next to the railings to enjoy the sea view. This turned out to be a mistake as we had soot from the funnel spitting down on us and had to move to a table next to the entrance to the dining room where we were more sheltered.

This was the only time al fresco dining happened; the windy (and sometimes wet) weather put paid to that.

Lunch menu (sorry for poor quality ... it's the one behind the glass case):

98d25f7f2f00f18008d1f7a61719271e.jpg

DH had the baby shrimp for starters:

ac2e6d45b499f75b32a4d83a64997ee2.jpg

... and we both had the delicious lamb chops:

65983b95059e2ccf08c4c7a6d3fac77b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yay the guilting and pressure worked.

Just joking Bea, i logged on tonight after a hellish week of freezing rain storms,  howling winds and whitouts   to find you had done a review.

Wonderful - thank you for doing it as im sure it takes a lot of time and effort but many people  are im sure appreciative - i know i am. 

Sorry you missed Jamaica. Great gift from Capt Scala (thanks to Sidari) I know dh follows  him on Instagram and always enjoys his posts. 

Will look forward to the rest of the review - especially interested in Havana. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Beamafar,

Can I ask a question (sorry if it is a silly one) I noticed on some of the menus the is a little star next to certain items (from the above menu the burger, the chops and the salmon)

Does this mean those items cost extra?