Equinox Revolution

Jim_Iain

If you had told me a year ago today, that I would go on my first cruise in December and love it so much that I'd book another and be excited about seeing a ship return, I'd have laughed in your face. What a difference a year makes...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Greenymac said:

If you had told me a year ago today, that I would go on my first cruise in December and love it so much that I'd book another and be excited about seeing a ship return, I'd have laughed in your face. What a difference a year makes...

We - like you-- have found crusing to be a great way to unpack once, see lovely places, meet lovely people...we can have a drink and they drive 🙂 cheers

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 3:27 PM, blueboro said:

Yep and it cuts the space almost in half.  Bad idea unless you have the $$ to get the suite.

Those suites were selling before the change so it would seem profitable at some point for them to be added. 

Edited by mmeg29

1 minute ago, mmeg29 said:

Those suites we're selling before the change so it would seem profitable at some point for them to be added. 

No problem selling them and sure it is profitable for X...just not good for 99% of the passengers not in one of the suites who have more public space taken away.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AQFan said:

My husband is in a handicapped accessible suite. How is is supposed to access the Retreat Lounge on Deck 16 as no elevator goes there? 

Each of the renos has included adding a glass elevator that is enclosed. 

Look at the pics of the other ships that came out of revolution

16 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Each of the renos has included adding a glass elevator that is enclosed. 

Look at the pics of the other ships that came out of revolution

But the other ships got full Revolutions. The Equinox got a much amended version that did not include expansion of the Retreat because of the relocation to Cadiz thanks to the crane accident in Freeport.

15 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

But the other ships got full Revolutions. The Equinox got a much amended version that did not include expansion of the Retreat because of the relocation to Cadiz thanks to the crane accident in Freeport.

Have no firsthand knowledge since I haven't been on the ship

but IF they made the front retreat area for suite pax --then by law they have to make it handicapped accessible.

5 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Have no firsthand knowledge since I haven't been on the ship

but IF they made the front retreat area for suite pax --then by law they have to make it handicapped accessible.

Everything I have read indicates that they did NOT get the retreat area done.

Do ADA laws apply to foreign-flagged vessels?

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Don't know

Worth you goggling it if it is an issue for you

Have not seen anything firsthand--and seems like all here on CC is speculation

Edited by Fogfog

9 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Don't know

Worth you goggling it if it is an issue for you

Have not seen anything firsthand--and seems like all here on CC is speculation

Not an issue for me. But I have seen multiple places verification from Celebrity that the retreat was not able to be done as planned.

42 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Not an issue for me. But I have seen multiple places verification from Celebrity that the retreat was not able to be done as planned.

If the retreat hasn’t been done, where is Luminae and Michael’s club?

1 hour ago, colliercruiser said:

This morning the Port Everglades webcam appears to show two cranes next to Equinox.  Can't tell for sure from this angle, but wonder if some last minute updates are being completed.

image.png.e696e0d6a027dd5c99bb239e91da3f78.png

Noticed the cranes were there yesterday just after they docked.  

2 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Yes I did a quick search and cursory glance at some of the results.  A case went all the way up to the Supreme Court in regards to NCL and ADA was found applicable to foreign-flagged vessels.  However there were caveats recognizing that they are foreign flagged and that country's laws take precedent over ADA if there is a conflict.  Also, it recognizes that it is a ship and operational consideration can be taken into account.

ADA has it own caveats about how much needs to be done on things on US soil.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gatour said:

Yes I did a quick search and cursory glance at some of the results.  A case went all the way up to the Supreme Court in regards to NCL and ADA was found applicable to foreign-flagged vessels.  However there were caveats recognizing that they are foreign flagged and that country's laws take precedent over ADA if there is a conflict.  Also, it recognizes that it is a ship and operational consideration can be taken into account.

ADA has it own caveats about how much needs to be done on things on US soil.

Thanks. I'm curious if part of that with NCL is due to it having a US-flagged vessel. Interesting info though.

3 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thanks. I'm curious if part of that with NCL is due to it having a US-flagged vessel. Interesting info though.

I don't believe so.  The excerpts of the decision I read made no mention of this.  In decision this statement was made (not an exact quote, thus no quote marks)  ...The question was did Congress intend for ADA to apply to foreign flagged vessel... 

The Supreme Court ruled that they did.

This is an interesting topic.  I took a look at the 2005 opinion, which was rendered by a very divided Supreme Court.  The upshot seems to be that, while 5 Justices agreed that the ADA generally applies to foreign flagged ships, it only applies to require reasonable modifications which do not affect "the internal order of the ship."  That is, the ADA can't be enforced where doing so would require "permanent, significant, structural changes to the basic ship and its construction."

3 hours ago, colliercruiser said:

This morning the Port Everglades webcam appears to show two cranes next to Equinox.  Can't tell for sure from this angle, but wonder if some last minute updates are being completed.

image.png.e696e0d6a027dd5c99bb239e91da3f78.png

Wonder if they are there as it is easier to remove materials that were removed during the crossing like furniture or flooring, from the top of the ship and of course bulky items or containers items were in and put on the ship in Spain? Another reason the ship docked there and not #25 which it will be moved to for tomorrow?

• Like 1