Equinox Revolution

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

If you're expecting Celebrity to match RCCL in terms of entertainment, you can think again. 🙁 We've also cruised on the Allure and in terms of entertainment there is simply no comparison. You can forget Aqua Theaters, Broadway Shows, Bumper Cars, Comedy Clubs, Jazz Clubs, Bowling Alley's and all the rest that comes with a ship of that size. In contrast, when we cruised with Celebrity for the first time on the Reflection, we were shocked how little there was to do onboard. The age range on board was a lot higher and everything was geared towards this age range. Everything was conservative and civilised and one bar felt very much like the next. Having cruised with four other lines I would say that Celebrity is the company you cruise with for some R&R and few children on board. The only reason we're returning to the Equinox in September is because the perks offered by Celebrity are unmatched right now, which makes them the best value for money. But oh how I wish they would diversify their onboard offerings 😩

You had me at "few children on board". August 31st is third time on Equinox.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

Oh man, I can’t handle mildew smell. That would be the worst!  

Were you in aqua, too?

This is completely unacceptable.  

We were in a Celebrity Suite.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, hcat said:

Mildew pillow smell EWWWW!

Interesting thread applicable to EQUINOX and Footstool, mentioned above

OMG, that  would be the worst for me, even worse than not having a foot stool.  

Well, I just did in fact cancel my upcoming Oct cruise. My TA got back to me immediately, (yes, she seems to work ‘round the clock) and I booked another cruise on my other favorite cruise ship and line. 

I am not divorcing Celebrity, by any means.  I look forward to sailing with them in the future sometime.  

1 hour ago, 4cats4me said:

Thank you for your reply.  However, we were just on Princess a couple months ago and did not have a mini but we did have a cabin category , deluxe balcony, which had a love seat on the Royal Princess. That is the ship we would book if we cancel the Equinox. .  They had removed the side chairs from the Crown Princess but not the table ,  when we were on a few months ago , but not from Royal Princess.  Once again, thank you for your reply. 

Those cabins are the best. Unfortunately, the Royal and Regal are only two ships out of the fleet and too many places to go. Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting discussion about the Equinox.  We had two phone calls from Celebrity this past week wanting to help us with our March Equinox cruise.  First time for that. Hope the footstool scenario is temporary.  As for mildew that is a health issue for many that suffer with asthma including me.  Will wait for further input before final payment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SerraG said:

Our bedding smelled strongly of mildew, too.  I am almost certain it was from the pillows.  I assume they either got wet and were not dried completely or the humidity is so high that they are just always staying slightly damp.  Yuck.  

I agree that the cost cutting and up-selling had increased noticeably from just last year.  Of course we had a good time and it feels petty to complain about little things, but they did start to add up.   For the first time ever, we did not book a future cruise with Celebrity and are going to start looking at other lines.

OK this is depressing. One thing I really don't like about beachfront hotels is that the carpet and sometimes other soft furnishings get wet early on from the ambient humidity and people coming in wet from the beach - then they smell like mildew for ever because the smell doesn't go away. I really liked that the cruise cabins did not smell that way - I bet a whole bunch of the pillows got wet.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Agreed. I don’t use (or like if I’m honest) footstools in the real world, so that is hardly going to bug me.

I *am* 100% spoiled to Disney entertainment and service and will admit to being very nervous about trying Celebrity - I still may end up cancelling X and going with DCL, but we shall see.

We were loyal to DCL before Edge(and we only took our kids once on all of our cruises with them).  I agree with you about the entertainment however we are tickled with the service on X. We never knew who our captain or CD was on DCL but we were very aware on Edge and that was AWESOME!  While entertainment is not the same experience we think X may be the place for us.  We have two more cruises booked with X.  I can not wait 77 days til Summit to Bermuda!

7 hours ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

If you want the things you listed above for entertainment, you WON"T find them on Celebrity.  It is more low key than the mother ship Royal.

Okay, I know the entertainment sucks on Celebrity.  We will deal with it whatever the situation.  We don't do night clubs so it's not like we need to be out dancing the night away, I read, read, read, read, read, about places I go to so I'm fully aware of what this ship is all about.  I just mentioned I want to see those shows.  It doesn't mean I expect it on Celebrity.  

7 hours ago, MissLittle1959 said:

I know the entertainment is not on par. I have read a lot about this cruise and we are doing it for the itinerary and not much more.   I got hurt on the anthem doing roller skating so I can forgo those types of things. Lol. If, though, this is not a luxury line then people need to stop talking like it is but that’s how it’s perceived when I read about it.   We will have a good time despite it being a cruise with older ppl.  We are 60 and 62 respectively but not mentally. Lo. We will be fine.  It may be a one and done but it can’t be any worse than carnival elation. Lol

You will enjoy your ports.  Good choices.  As for those who feel it is 'luxury', I guess it does beat staying home.  Or they have been convinced by Celebrity that it offers  "Modern Luxury", for whatever that means.  People are correct that it is relaxing on the ship.  

5 hours ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

“ Celebrity is the company you cruise with for some R&R and few children on board”....” the perks offered by Celebrity are unmatched right now, which makes them the best value for money”

Exactly why we almost always choose Celebrity. Sailed Allure a couple of years ago with family and Mama Mia was absolutely awesome but the rest....too crowded, service lacking comparatively, food lacking comparatively, won’t do it again. But as they say “to each her/his own”. Choices are a great thing!

7 hours ago, Mynki said:

As others have alluded too, you've booked the wrong cruise line. Is it too late to change your booking? 

We will be fine. Not sure I can switch ships anyhow as our down payment is nonrefundable. But as I said we will be fine.  Any day my husband is not working is a good day.   

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CruiseLifeIsTheBest said:

Exactly why we almost always choose Celebrity. Sailed Allure a couple of years ago with family and Mama Mia was absolutely awesome but the rest....too crowded, service lacking comparatively, food lacking comparatively, won’t do it again. But as they say “to each her/his own”. Choices are a great thing!

After 24 cruises covering 244 days, on Celebrity, we moved on. It became to expensive, value wise, and boring. We are in our upper 60s and been retired for over fifteen years. We switched to RCL, Oasis class, and MSC in the yacht club suites. The entertainment is far superior, the service is about the same and we don’t think the food is that much different and if we did, we’d just buy the full cruise dining package on RCL. Seven days is $168 p.p. with you choice of specialty restaurants. Even adding that, it’s still cheaper than “X”.

The big thing is the ships. The only thing Celebrity has is sitting around the cement pond, or at a bar, drinking. The Oasis class has the Promenade, Central Park, and the Boardwalk, with all kinds of things to see and do. That’s probably why you don’t see many kids on Celebrity. If we were to take young kids, or grandkids, we would pick a vacation that met their needs not ours.

You ever notice RCL very seldom offers “free perks”? You know why?, because they don’t have to, their cruise pricing allows them to make their profit goals

Edited by grandgeezer
posted it by mistake

10 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I *am* 100% spoiled to Disney entertainment and service and will admit to being very nervous about trying Celebrity - I still may end up cancelling X and going with DCL, but we shall see.

Yes, honestly the Disney entertainment is far superior to Celebrity.  However, having sailed both lines I hope I can offer you some reassurance that we found the service to be excellent on both lines....Celebrity was not inferior in any way with regards to service in our experience.  And we were somewhat surprised (in our opinion of course) that we found the food to be better on Celebrity than Disney (both main dining and specialty restaurants).  If you do decide to move forward with sailing on Celebrity, I would be interested in hearing about your experience ☺️

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, keesar said:

You will enjoy your ports.  Good choices.  As for those who feel it is 'luxury', I guess it does beat staying home.  Or they have been convinced by Celebrity that it offers  "Modern Luxury", for whatever that means.  People are correct that it is relaxing on the ship.  

Thanks, I agree with you about the ports.  

16 minutes ago, Reel Love said:

Yes, honestly the Disney entertainment is far superior to Celebrity.  However, having sailed both lines I hope I can offer you some reassurance that we found the service to be excellent on both lines....Celebrity was not inferior in any way with regards to service in our experience.  And we were somewhat surprised (in our opinion of course) that we found the food to be better on Celebrity than Disney (both main dining and specialty restaurants).  If you do decide to move forward with sailing on Celebrity, I would be interested in hearing about your experience ☺️

Thanks! I will keep you posted as to what I decide. 

1 hour ago, MissLittle1959 said:

Okay, I know the entertainment sucks on Celebrity.  We will deal with it whatever the situation.  

I think this is going a little overboard...  I am not a 'cirque' show person,  so I can skip their production shows, as I walked out of each of them after 15 minutes on our first cruise.  We also walked out on a Latin vocalist, and thought Ashley Amber was ok,  but probably won't sit through that again.   But some of the other shows were great.   December 63 was fabulous and I hope they are still there in October.  If so I may go at 7 and 9.   There were 2 brothers that played the electric violins that were amazing.  Comedian Ralph Harris was very funny,  until the last 10 minutes.  The Uptown show was very good.  And we had a good magician on our last cruise.  Maybe the best entertainment that trip was when our CD Dan France sang Opera one night.  Incredible.   

At least go and sit through 10 minutes or so before you decide that it sucks.  You can always quietly walk out.

We were on the 6/1 sailing in a 1A veranda cabin, and as I said earlier, I'm not sure if we had a new mattress, but it appeared our pillows were new.  No mildew smell at all in our cabin.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, keesar said:

You better starting preparing.  The entertainment is not on a par with Royal C.  Sedate is a good term to use.   You have probably heard good things about Celebrity's food and service.  You better not think  that this is a luxury line.  It is a very good mainstream line.

I'm not sure if that many cruisers think Celebrity is a luxury line.  It is a step or two above the entry level pricing  so most call it a premium mainstream line.  I don't agree with the old "Modern Luxury" marketing slogan.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

After 24 cruises covering 244 days, on Celebrity, we moved on. It became to expensive, value wise, and boring. We are in our upper 60s and been retired for over fifteen years. We switched to RCL, Oasis class, and MSC in the yacht club suites. The entertainment is far superior, the service is about the same and we don’t think the food is that much different and if we did, we’d just buy the full cruise dining package on RCL. Seven days is $168 p.p. with you choice of specialty restaurants. Even adding that, it’s still cheaper than “X”.

The big thing is the ships. The only thing Celebrity has is sitting around the cement pond, or at a bar, drinking. The Oasis class has the Promenade, Central Park, and the Boardwalk, with all kinds of things to see and do. That’s probably why you don’t see many kids on Celebrity. If we were to take young kids, or grandkids, we would pick a vacation that met their needs not ours.

You ever notice RCL very seldom offers “free perks”? You know why?, because they don’t have to, their cruise pricing allows them to make their profit goals

Different strokes for different folks.  Me, I like variety. Wouldn't consider only cruising on ONE line.  The "perks" they throw out there just aren't worth my loyalty, IMHO.  

IF you want madness, no doubt, get on a giant Royal Ship, or the NCL away class for that matter...they offer it in spades, and I've enjoyed it.  The NCL Waterfront area is one of the nicest areas I've seen on a ship.  But those ships are not for everyone.  Sometimes, getting away from kids is a good thing.  I've been on the MSC Seaside, it was not my cup of tea.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, GAcruiser2 said:

I agree re the smell. My husband and I discovered it was the pillows. The cabin attendant said they were new, but they smelled like mildew to us. We got them switched out for the memory foam pillows because the smell was so bad.

While we did have fun on the cruise, there were some very visible cost-cutting measures taken which I felt cheapened the experience. I’ll write a review once I’ve had a chance to digest everything that happened and possibly cool off a bit. 

Thanks for the heads up.

I will check the pillows/bedding when we arrive. Asthmatic and allergic to molds here. Mildew smells means moisture..and either improper storage or that the pillows were "cleaned" and then not properly dried...Both are unacceptable

We have B2B booked sailing in under 90 days. 

18 minutes ago, hiccups said:

We were on the 6/1 sailing in a 1A veranda cabin, and as I said earlier, I'm not sure if we had a new mattress, but it appeared our pillows were new.  No mildew smell at all in our cabin.

Same here, our mattress was new along with the pillows.

If anyone has a pillow problem, the solution is rather simple, ask for new pillows. 

I am sure the cabin attendant will accommodate.

7 minutes ago, mari10 said:

Same here, our mattress was new along with the pillows.

If anyone has a pillow problem, the solution is rather simple, ask for new pillows. 

I am sure the cabin attendant will accommodate.

We did ask, but the new ones smelled, too. We finally asked for memory foam pillows. Those did not smell.