Accessible cabins

lenquixote66

I require an accessible cabin . The ship I would like to cruise on only has 8 accessible cabins and they have been already booked.I called the cruise line and was told the only thing that I can do is be on a wait list in the event that somebody cancels.I hope that the new ships give more considerstion to the disabled.

Accessible cabins require a larger foot print. As a result they cut into the profit margin of the ship overall. If they want to be ADA compliant, they must have X number of cabins be accessible. Because of the way ships are built, accessible cabins are planned long before any construction begins. Next to impossible to retrofit cabins since actual structural changes to the ship would be required. For our upcoming cruise, I booked 18 months in advance to be sure of getting the cabin we need.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Is that what most people do ? 

I can't say what most people do. All I can say is I have confirmed booking for what I want. Last two cruises we got cabin we wanted.

Yep hard to jag one with most lines.

ive missed out the day a cruise went on sail, been waitlisted for over a year with no luck.

I could do without one if they had somewhere to store and charge my chair overnight (it would be hard and inconvenient as I’d need Mrs G to be with me whenever I want to the cabin) but that seems to no longer happen.

As others have said, you need to book as soon as the cruises are released. We booked most cruises two years out. Also, if you need specific orientation in the bathroom, grab bars on the right of left, you need to specify at the time of reservation.

On 2/6/2019 at 6:34 PM, lenquixote66 said:

The cruise that  we are currently on the Wait List for had a balcony but we are interested in an Ocean View only.

that is not the cruise lines fault or problem.    nor are they obligated to 'have more consideration'   they have a HA cabin.  just  because you don't want that specific one is not grounds to  claim they are in violation of ADA or to accuse them of discrimination against Disabled.

11 hours ago, spookwife said:

that is not the cruise lines fault or problem.    nor are they obligated to 'have more consideration'   they have a HA cabin.  just  because you don't want that specific one is not grounds to  claim they are in violation of ADA or to accuse them of discrimination against Disabled.

I am not accusing them of discrimination . My feeling is that ships should have more than 8 cabins for the disabled.

why?   they have a percentage, which  is mandated by ADA.   the ships are not registered in the US.   and any company can choose to not market their products  to certain demographics.  to include small kids, and  those with disabilities.  

ADA also stipulates that  anything that would significantly alter  an experience or  require massive changes to infrastructure  is not required..   

and lets face it, most of us with the need for a  HA cabin also come with other lovely medical issues that means the cruise lines would then be on the hook for taking care of something should it go wrong while on board .  they already deal with an average of one death per cruise.  

would it be nice if everyone everywhere decided to  make alterations to their product or service so that every single disability could be accommodated at all times?   sure.   but it isn't practical.

its long been established that if you absolutely  require a certain type or kind of cabin you have to book it early.  its no different than those families who need a 2 BR suite.  you also  are not interested in being flexible since e you  say you won't take  the  available  Balcony cabin and only  want an OV.   you need to be flexible as well.  you either cut expenses elsewhere to afford the balcony( if that is your concern) or you find another  cruise.  

10 hours ago, spookwife said:

why?   they have a percentage, which  is mandated by ADA.   the ships are not registered in the US.   and any company can choose to not market their products  to certain demographics.  to include small kids, and  those with disabilities.  

ADA also stipulates that  anything that would significantly alter  an experience or  require massive changes to infrastructure  is not required..   

and lets face it, most of us with the need for a  HA cabin also come with other lovely medical issues that means the cruise lines would then be on the hook for taking care of something should it go wrong while on board .  they already deal with an average of one death per cruise.  

would it be nice if everyone everywhere decided to  make alterations to their product or service so that every single disability could be accommodated at all times?   sure.   but it isn't practical.

its long been established that if you absolutely  require a certain type or kind of cabin you have to book it early.  its no different than those families who need a 2 BR suite.  you also  are not interested in being flexible since e you  say you won't take  the  available  Balcony cabin and only  want an OV.   you need to be flexible as well.  you either cut expenses elsewhere to afford the balcony( if that is your concern) or you find another  cruise.  

I have fallen 30 times due to my disability. I cannot be in a cabin that has a balcony.

I also do not walk on the outside of the ship unless it is an enclosed deck .

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have fallen 30 times due to my disability. I cannot be in a cabin that has a balcony.

Im a bit puzzled why your falls prevent you booking a balcony, my fall rate is about one or two per week, upto a few times a day when things are very bad, always bbok a balcony, cant see any way that any human being could go overboard by falling on any ship ive been on.

Not trying to critisise if it looks that way, just curious

Im on RCs Vision of the Seas, 1st of 3 cruises. I have a disability, was only able to secure an accessible room for week 2. Overheard a pinnacle “bragging” about securing an accessible room this week. Their need seems to be extra space as the accessible rooms are larger. They book these way out in advance. 

Appears as if frequent cruisers know that Royal Caribbean doesn’t enforce their policy so it leaves people with disabilities without an accessible room. 

Their policy requires people with disabilities to fill out a “guest needs form” but this is not enforced as I’ve never filled one out. This is wrong, unfair, unethical and an attempt to make this problem (their loyal handicapped customers) left with inferior rights as opposed to their top tier frequent cruisers (pinnacles) who are treated like royalty.

I found out that 2 of the 14 accessible rooms on Royal Caribbean’s vision of the seas last week were occupied by pinnacles without need and the same this week. This is a well known practice. They book early and secure an accessible room without a need.

I have been told by Zeze, a Royal Caribbean employee on the ship that this has been investigated thoroughly and it all checked out. #sweepitundertherug

Royal Caribbean’s policy states, “Please note we investigate and take action on potential misuse of accessible staterooms where there is good cause to believe that such staterooms have been booked fraudulently.” They don’t enforce these policies.

Royal Caribbean’s marketing brochure states they cater to people with disabilities but I’m not feeling the love.

One hundred percent true.Years ago before cruises offered  loyalty points a person needing an accessible cabin would submit letters from a doctor or doctors.

In my case I was told that they investigated the matter and everyone in an accessible cabin needs one.If this is not true I am being deprived of the only kind of vacation I can take.

18 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

soo..uhh.. don't go out on the balcony....

I also fall to understand why you cannot be outside or on a balcony   in the first place.  not like a simple fall is going to cause you to go overboard.  if you need stability, then get a walker or rollator.  

kinda defeats the purpose of going on a cruise if you can't go outside for whatever reason.....

6 hours ago, nancyls62 said:

Royal Caribbean’s policy states, “Please note we investigate and take action on potential misuse of accessible staterooms where there is good cause to believe that such staterooms have been booked fraudulently.” They don’t enforce these policies.

Royal Caribbean’s marketing brochure states they cater to people with disabilities but I’m not feeling the love.

then stop sailing Royal.   of course you will most likely find that all cruise lines pay the same lip service.   unfortunately,  people claim disability without true need and the cruise lines can't  actually require   true medical and legal documentation.    you can thank ADA for that.  

or fill out the form like they want you to so they DO have a paper trail.   

8 hours ago, nancyls62 said:

Their policy requires people with disabilities to fill out a “guest needs form” but this is not enforced as I’ve never filled one out. This is wrong, unfair, unethical and an attempt to make this problem (their loyal handicapped customers) left with inferior rights as opposed to their top tier frequent cruisers (pinnacles) who are treated like royalty.

You are complaining that RCI is being unfair and unethical to handicapped customers by not enforcing their policy which requires guests in a HC cabin to fill out a “guest needs form”. Yet you admit quite happily that you have never filled in the “guest needs form”.

You can not have it both way. You can not moan about RCI not enforcing the rules when you don't follow them yourself. 

Others, including myself, who do fill in the  “guest needs form”, every time they cruise do have the right to moan if we want to.

You first must understand that there is no "law" regarding phone rep who can get accessible cabins. Each cruise line has their own "policy" that any one phone rep may or may not follow. However, U.S. privacy laws prevent them requiring proof. Since they do not want to expose them self to any legal action, they give the mandatory boiler plate statement about accessible cabins then take the booking. I know this has been the way they have operated for the last 15 years. 

6 hours ago, spookwife said:

soo..uhh.. don't go out on the balcony....

I also fall to understand why you cannot be outside or on a balcony   in the first place.  not like a simple fall is going to cause you to go overboard.  if you need stability, then get a walker or rollator.  

kinda defeats the purpose of going on a cruise if you can't go outside for whatever reason.....

I enjoy the inside activities of a cruise.Cruising is my only means to get to the places they dock in.

I have NEVER been asked to fill out the form. All I am asking is that they require EVERYONE to fill out the form . Follow their policy so pinnacle members stop booking them years in advance as their only “need” is extra space. They are acting entitled and Royal has to enforce their policy. The pinnacles brag about this and it is just wrong on so many levels. It is discrimination. Pinnacle status outweighs PWD. 

And as as for me stopping sailing royal, I’ve been accumulating my points my whole life on them and have only had my disability for 1 1/2 years...I’ve been loyal, I didn’t ask for this disease so I’m navigating the best I can working within their policies. I’ve got enough battles to fight in my life now, I don’t want to be adding stress to my situation. Royal should do the right thing. Shame on them.

I will keep you updated as I am booked in a regular room next week but have asked for them to look for an accessible cabin. I have the names and room numbers of two pinnacles that are booked in two accessible cabins next week without need...they have already had accessible rooms for the past two weeks.  We have contacted our attorney and he’ll be calling them with the information tomorrow.  I dont understand why everyone on here wouldnt want to support me in asking Royal to do the right thing and enforce their policy. This is fraudulent behavior and they will continue to get away with it unless something changes. I’ve traveled my whole life and I have a severe mobility issue... I can’t continue to explore if I can’t be safe in my room.

• Like 1