Antarctica, the Falklands & South Georgia with Silversea - My Experience

Travelgal 2323

Hi there, this is to supplement my CC review on the Silver Explorer to Antartica, the Falklands and South Georgia. Thanks Laura for letting me post my blog link here. 😁

I am a travel blogger (hobby)  and love to pass on information to fellow travelers. Since my review of this fabulous cruise experience was very comprehensive, it was to much for me to copy & paste it all into the CC format, especially with all the amazing photos I had. LOL.

So if you want to know more about what I feel this brand and particular ship has to offer, go to https://www.paradoxtravels.com/single-post/Silversea-Cruise-Line-Review

Thanks!

And I hope you go for it and have the same amazing experience that I did!

BigBerg.JPG

Glacierbay.JPG

IMG_6773.JPG

IMG_6954.JPG

• Like 1

Nice! We did Antarctica on Silver Explorer in 2009 and it became one of our favorite ships. After three more trips on Explorer, it still is. Glad to read about your enjoyment of this trip. We will be back next January, and our trip will include South Georgia this time.

Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

The three others we've done were all great. We enjoyed Svalbard very much. Wildlife, and way more cool history than we expected.

The Panama Canal was great to see on such a small ship, and the visits in Costa Rica were enjoyable.

We also enjoyed the South America cruise from Guayaquil to Valparaiso that we did in November 2017. The excursions were great and it was a culinary cruise too so the food was over the top.

We have Iceland coming up on Silver Cloud Expedition, this August. Looking forward to another visit there, always a favorite destination. 

Then South Georgia.

As you can tell we are big fans of SS expedition cruises. The ships and staff are great and it's cool to visit these destinations in such a nice ship.

• Like 1

tgh, thank you so much. That means a lot to me, as I really do want to put quality content out there. :classic_biggrin:

Swindy, As for camera type - don't laugh - but its a combo of a simple Canon Powershot (I edit lighting sometimes using Picassa), it takes great photos, even on 'auto mode' in this type lighting ( somewhat filtered light or sunny days). Also , some of the photos in the blog were ....gasp...using my Iphone. No lie. Crazy, huh? My husband is the Pro photographer in the family (www.stoverphoto.com) but he didn't do this trip with me as he had family issues that prevented him from going. So I had to represent the 'fam' and take the best shots I could. 

Edited by Travelgal 2323

17 hours ago, Travelgal 2323 said:

Svalbard is definately in my sight and although i have been to South American several times by land, the concept of a 'foodie' cruise from G to V is intriguing...

Svalbard is worth the trip, though the density of wildlife is not as great as it is in Antarctica. You may see a polar bear here and there, as opposed to massive quantities of penguins. 

The SA cruise was just great. The stops varied between offshore island parks with great wildlife, and iconic sights in Peru and Chile such as a flyover of the Nazca Lines (included), trips to the Atacama Desert and Lauca National Park, nestled in the foothills of the Andes at 15,000 feet, and museum visits in Lima.

The expedition staff did lectures on wildlife and on many of the different Pre-Inca cultures who had lived in the areas we were visiting. It is amazing how much went on in this area before the Incas came around.

And we had so much good food. The Silversea Trainer Chef (David) was on for the whole voyage, and the SS Executive Chef Rudy was there for most of it. We also picked up local chefs from Ecuador, Peru, and Chile as we made our way down the coast; each spent part of the voyage with us. They brought local ingredients with them and our menu definitely reflected the places we'd been visiting.

There was a local sommelier from Chile, and a cheese expert as well. Something for everyone, but surprisingly our clothes shrank a lot in those two weeks. We did wine and cheese tastings a few times, with cheeses that they had bought in our ports of call, and Chilean wines that the sommelier had stocked for us. 

So, if you have a chance to do a culinary cruise on an expedition ship, ours was simply fantastic. There have been mixed reviews from some other culinary cruises, but all I can comment about is ours. I did a trip report here on CC with lots of pictures and more detail.

8 hours ago, tgh said:

We will beat you to Svalbard by a month JP.. 🙂

tgh, do you mean Iceland? We went to Svalbard in August 2011. We will be on the cruise around Iceland in August of this year. Have fun, whichever of those you meant.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Travelgal 2323 said:

As for camera type - don't laugh - but its a combo of a simple Canon Powershot (I edit lighting sometimes using Picassa), it takes great photos, even on 'auto mode' in this type lighting ( somewhat filtered light or sunny days). Also , some of the photos in the blog were ....gasp...using my Iphone.

It is truly amazing how far phone cameras have come. Resolution is great and image quality is quite acceptable. I have a print at home that's 20x30, of Chris and me at the Taj Mahal, taken with her Galaxy S7. It looks great.

I carry a Nikon D7100 which is still better than our phones, but the gap is closing. And the Galaxy S7 actually is better when HDR is needed. It can handle adverse lighting conditions, like backlighting and shadows, better than the DSLR. 

The only weakness I see now is that phones still use digital zoom, so image quality is unacceptable after about 2-3x zoom. My DSLR still has a purpose for now. But it's getting heavy. Or I'm getting lazy...

• Like 1

Jpalbny - and the quality for large prints, there is no comparison. Our home is covered with large metal prints of my husbands work - some of them are huge (38x58 or larger) and the detail is super clear. THAT wouldn't be the case for most my photos - although a few turned out fairly well. They are great for blogs and social media for the most part. But the ones done on the Canon would do okay in lager print, up to a certain size, especially if I used a tripod.

Oh, my husband uses a Nikon too, DSLR ( I think), shoots raw and edits used Lightroom

Edited by Travelgal 2323

Sorry JP, misread your post , we are on voyage #1914 Reykjavik to Tromso.

We will drive a bit of a loop around southern Iceland pre and drive  down to Lofoten from Tromso post.

57 minutes ago, SJS-TX said:

Awesome pictures we are on the Cloud in two weeks to Antarctica.  Hopefully we will get some amazing pics as well!

You will have a blast! I have a friend who just returned from your same trip this, said it was amazing! They got pretty shook up on the Drake Passage ( I got lucky with calm water) but his photos and the weather were fab!

On 2/6/2019 at 10:35 PM, tgh said:

Sorry JP, misread your post , we are on voyage #1914 Reykjavik to Tromso.

We will drive a bit of a loop around southern Iceland pre and drive  down to Lofoten from Tromso post.

Hi,

Is that the trip starting on June 18th? If so, we'll be there too!! I don't think there's a roll call, is there?

Hello Mocamps, welcome aboard!

There is no roll call, in fact it seems there has never ever ever beeeeeeen.. a roll call for the cloud explorer..how boring !

It seems that the general Silversea demographic does not lend itself to such base expressions of excitement as a roll call….👀

I will start one .. just to be different...

edit .. done.. and of course the clunky cc software did eventually find some cloud roll calls

The link at the top of this page doesn't seem to be in the loop.. or the "zone"...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2633616-silver-cloud-exp-reykjavik-to-tromso-18-june-19/

Edited by tgh
more :