Uber or Cab To/From FLL to Cruise Dock?

cruz-in

Hi All, 

Is there any advantage to one over the other (uber versus a regular cab) for going from FLL to cruise dock? 

Or, upon return, from cruise dock to FLL ? 

Thanks

Dan 

P.S. We sail this Sunday on the NS

Uber tends to be cheaper than traditional cabs. Some airports have restrictions on airport pick-ups but I haven't seen any issues with drop-offs. 

I'll be sailing on NS this Sunday as well. We'll be staying in FLL Saturday night and plan to use Uber from the hotel --> cruise port and cruise port --> the airport. 

• Thanks 1

We usually love Uber. But the issue we had in Florida is cars don't have front license plates. So when you have four lanes of cars entering the airport pickup area and the uber app gives you the license plate #, you don't see it until the car has passed you. Took three tries to finally catch an uber - and got charged a fee for a non pick-up. Frustrating since we were standing right there! Much easier from a hotel or other location without multiple lanes of traffic.

4 hours ago, twodjs said:

We usually love Uber. But the issue we had in Florida is cars don't have front license plates. So when you have four lanes of cars entering the airport pickup area and the uber app gives you the license plate #, you don't see it until the car has passed you. Took three tries to finally catch an uber - and got charged a fee for a non pick-up. Frustrating since we were standing right there! Much easier from a hotel or other location without multiple lanes of traffic.

Forgot about the cars, etc., not having front license plates to spot the Uber cars easily.

Good advice to use a taxi from the airport.

56 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

How much is the standard fare from the Cruise Ship to FLL???

Our last taxi driver didn't want us to use the taxi-credit card set up, and was asking for cash.

From $15 to $20. Depending how direct a route he takes. Make sure the trip is on the meter, not a flat rate.

14 hours ago, twodjs said:

Couldn't agree more. Uber or Lyft TO the port or airport. Taxis FROM. And we live in Fort Lauderdale. My only caution is to make sure that you know the route from the airport or the port to your hotel. Print the directions if you won't have cellular data in Fort Lauderdale. Most of the taxi drivers are honest, but some may "accidentally get lost" and drive up the fare. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

How much is the standard fare from the Cruise Ship to FLL???

Our last taxi driver didn't want us to use the taxi-credit card set up, and was asking for cash.

I recommend sticking with cash unless you don't have any. Some of their machines are like Macgyver'd together and looks sketchy at best.

I prefer Uber over taxi but going from Ft Lauderdale airport to Port Everglades is the exception....we do take a regular, old fashioned taxi.....It's just easier...They are lined up and ready and the trip is short.  No fumbling w/my app w/baggage and the fare difference is nominal.

On 2/6/2019 at 12:28 AM, twodjs said:

I don't know if this practice will be catching on in FLL, but when we recently hired an UBER from Tampa, the Uber cars had a big sign in their front windshield:  "UBER".  Even though you don't know if it is your Uber, it at least gives you the opportunity to immediately start moving toward it, alerting the driver that you may be his fare.

17 hours ago, drgrinch said:

Be careful of taxis in FLL.  Get the price before you get in.  I was charged $45 for a 5 min. ride from the cruise terminal. 

Yikes-that’s horrible.  

We we took a taxi from the cruise port to airport and it was $20-the taxi driver didn’t put the meter on.    For those in the know should we always ask prices when using taxi to/from airport/hotel?