embarkation

spbb

Since it's a small ship, boarding doesn't take much time at all. We haven't boarded earlier than advertised when staying at the IC Tahiti as part of the pre-cruise package so if you're hoping to board early if staying elsewhere, there's no chance. 

Many of the passengers come in on the late flight from LAX, and the ship doesn't leave port until they arrive, which could be well after midnight. On our first PG cruise, we took that flight, and didn't want to do it again.

The IC buses passengers to the ship.  When the bus arrives there is usually a very small line of people boarding, but it moves pretty quickly.  Other than when the bus from the hotel arrives I've never seen any line at all.

This is "turnaround" day for the crew.  They need to frog march the previous passengers off the ship, many of whom are crying and pleading.  Then they have to prepare the cabins for the newcomers.  Then they need to get the new passengers settled. So they are working very very hard on this day. Try to be considerate and patient: the 3 PM embarkation time gives you ample opportunity to enjoy your first day on the ship.

• Like 1

No rush to board..enjoy walking around Papeete..we boarded around 3:45pm and we were the only ones there...serenaded by the gauguines up the ramp and we were checked in and relaxing in our room within 30 min...it was fantastic ! 

• 1 month later...

We stayed independently on Moorea pre cruise and took the lunchtime ferry across to Papeete.  We'd originally planned to walk around the town but there was nowhere to leave our luggage and it was very hot at that time of day so we abandoned that idea.  Fortunately for us only one couple had arrived ahead of us so we found seats in the shade and I enjoyed having time to write up my journal. There isn’t a lot of seating by the gate, only 8 chairs when we were there, half of which are in the shade.  Soon a small number of people had gathered.

We'd  parked our luggage off to one aside and everyone else did the same.  At some point it "disappeared" onto the boat.  One of the Gauguins played his ukulele and sang to entertain us and we filled out the pre-embarkation forms.  The cruise director came to say hello.

When the gate was opened at about 3pm we all made our way on board, had our photos taken etc and when we got to our rooms I noticed the clock said 8 minutes past 3!

There's really very little in the way of facilities at the quayside and I was quite content to sit and wait, but if I hadn’t found a seat in the shade I’m not sure I’d have been so happy.  We probably should have taken a later ferry, but we were excited to get on board.

22 minutes ago, SellaVee said:

We stayed independently on Moorea pre cruise and took the lunchtime ferry across to Papeete.  We'd originally planned to walk around the town but there was nowhere to leave our luggage and it was very hot at that time of day so we abandoned that idea.  Fortunately for us only one couple had arrived ahead of us so we found seats in the shade and I enjoyed having time to write up my journal. There isn’t a lot of seating by the gate, only 8 chairs when we were there, half of which are in the shade.  Soon a small number of people had gathered.

We'd  parked our luggage off to one aside and everyone else did the same.  At some point it "disappeared" onto the boat.  One of the Gauguins played his ukulele and sang to entertain us and we filled out the pre-embarkation forms.  The cruise director came to say hello.

When the gate was opened at about 3pm we all made our way on board, had our photos taken etc and when we got to our rooms I noticed the clock said 8 minutes past 3!

There's really very little in the way of facilities at the quayside and I was quite content to sit and wait, but if I hadn’t found a seat in the shade I’m not sure I’d have been so happy.  We probably should have taken a later ferry, but we were excited to get on board.

Thank you SellaVee, very helpful information 🙂

Upstairs at the ferry dock in Papeete is a nice open air restaurant where you can comfortably wait until 3 PM.  You will need to buy something, but just a soft drink will do. There are similar restaurants on the ground floor of the ferry dock in Moorea if you're comfortable taking a later ferry.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 12:53 PM, TinyG said:

Could I get a morning mimosa? Is bar service available on the last morning?

Yes. At least at the Pool Bar. That's  where they usually look for us when it is time to drag us kicking and screaming off the ship.

On 2/5/2019 at 7:56 PM, spbb said:

I see on the website embarkation is at 3pm. Do they ever allow getting on the ship earlier? Also,how is the boarding process?

We showed up at 11 and it was a firm no. We waited at a bar across the drinks and walked over at 2:30 with our luggage. We still had to wait until they started boarding at 3.

• 4 weeks later...