Kailua Kona tour guide

PCWalton1

Anyone have more suggestions for tour guides in Kona? I need a guide for Sunday September 29 when we will be in port on Ovation of the Seas. I have already contacted Marylou's Big Island Guided Tours and Mauka Makai Adventures but they are not available. Any other guides you would recommend?

Thanks

12 hours ago, Beachiekeen said:

Yikes sold out so soon?! Those are the two I want to use, here are a couple of others I have come across.

Island Wide Family Tours (I think this is Mary Lou’s son)

Big Island Aina Tours

Kamaaina Custom Tours

Thanks, looks like Big Island is for the Hilo side. For a private tour Island Wide Family Tours looks to be over $100 per person. So I think we will strike out on our own, For $51 I have a car rental at King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel which is right near the dock. We are fairly knowledgeable of what there is to see so we will go explore. 

thanks again

20 minutes ago, PCWalton1 said:

Thanks, looks like Big Island is for the Hilo side. For a private tour Island Wide Family Tours looks to be over $100 per person. So I think we will strike out on our own, For $51 I have a car rental at King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel which is right near the dock. We are fairly knowledgeable of what there is to see so we will go explore. 

thanks again

Yes Island Wide is way more expensive, that is why they aren't in my top 2.  They are a last resort.  I found Aina on a FB group, they have great reviews.  Kamaaina I found here but they do have one bad review that scares me.

I told my husband about your post and he was like, if we can't get a tour, we'll just drive.  I will use the tour guides' info. to make our route.  But I wanted to give my hubby a break from driving since he is driving on all the other islands, including Oahu.

Thanks for the head's up, this lets me know we can't wait too long to book.

On 2/6/2019 at 9:59 AM, PCWalton1 said:

thanks again

Great choice of car rental as it was so convenient. May I suggest that you drive to Pu’uhonua o Honaunau National Park as it was a beautiful place with ranger talks and so different from any other national Parks. If you are planning to visit VNP or Haleakala on the cruise, I suggest getting the tri Park Hawaii pass as it will allow your car load a visit to each park for a year. It was a bargain at $25 but you’ll have to compare it with the individual cost now that it is $50.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:59 AM, PCWalton1 said:

thanks again

We did a self tour on the Kona side a few years ago and it was a lovely day.  We went to the historic park (can't remember the name), two-step snorkeling right next door, a lovely little chapel with many hand painted murals, and another snorkeling park closer to the ship.  I would have to dig out my notes to find names, but it is easy to discover what you want to do according to your inteests online.  We also rented a car from the King Kam hotel  I plan to do the same next September.  Hopefully, we will find some new places to explore.  I do hope to work a coffee plantation into our tour at that time.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:03 PM, Sunny AZ Girl said:

We did a self tour on the Kona side a few years ago and it was a lovely day.  We went to the historic park (can't remember the name), two-step snorkeling right next door, a lovely little chapel with many hand painted murals, and another snorkeling park closer to the ship.  I would have to dig out my notes to find names, but it is easy to discover what you want to do according to your inteests online.  We also rented a car from the King Kam hotel  I plan to do the same next September.  Hopefully, we will find some new places to explore.  I do hope to work a coffee plantation into our tour at that time.

What car agency is at king Kam?

1 hour ago, PCWalton1 said:

We are booked there with Dollar but Hertz & Thrifty are there too. 

Thank you for responding to the question.  It was in 2011 when we did that and I could not remember which one we used.  I just remember that it was very convenient and I hope to do it that way again.