Where to stay in Southampton

mandtpa

4 hours ago, cruiseluvva said:

Our new hotel of choice is the new Southampton Harbour Hotel in Ocean Village, not to be confused with the Grand Harbour Hotel which we would not recomnend.

Hmmm, can't agree Gill.

We stayed there in August as the trains were off for three weekends and we had to drive for a change.

We found it to be rather expensive for what we got. We paid well over £500 for dinner, B&B, but we only got £27 towards dinner, so had to pay supplements. Breakfast was okay. Restaurant was extremely noisy.

The "suite" was only a slightly larger room with one gin and one whisky free of charge.

Large balcony, but we weren't able to use it.

The roof top bar seems to be the "in" place with queues outside waiting to get in. The place was bursting at the seems.

We probably wouldn't rush back.

Stewart

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Hmmm, can't agree Gill.

We stayed there in August as the trains were off for three weekends and we had to drive for a change.

We found it to be rather expensive for what we got. We paid well over £500 for dinner, B&B, but we only got £27 towards dinner, so had to pay supplements. Breakfast was okay. Restaurant was extremely noisy.

The "suite" was only a slightly larger room with one gin and one whisky free of charge.

Large balcony, but we weren't able to use it.

The roof top bar seems to be the "in" place with queues outside waiting to get in. The place was bursting at the seems.

We probably wouldn't rush back.

Stewart

We don’t tend to eat in the restaurant, apart from breakfast,

but have a light meal in the bar, feeling we are going to be eating far richer food on board than we normally would eat. At the end of the day, it’s all down to what you like, and it suits us.

Edited by cruiseluvva

19 hours ago, alibabacruisers said:

We have stayed at the out of center of town Hilton, but more recently we stayed at the Premier Inn which was in a great location with shops and restaurants close by.  

We also stayed at the Premier Inn and liked it very much.  The room was very comfortable and clean, and the hotel had a cocktail lounge and restaurant.  We did not eat dinner there, but had a very good breakfast at the hotel.  

On 2/6/2019 at 7:10 PM, canoncruiser said:

I find the HOLIDAY INN overlooking the port to be very clean and efficient. I know there are other places folks like but the place is comfy, close, reasonable and they lay on a decent breakfast. 

We stayed there on our last cruise.  I'd say it was fine for what we paid (about £120 for bed and breakfast (but I got it for nothing with my loyalty points)). A voucher for a drink when we arrived, they booked our taxi for the morning, breakfast was fine and we ate there in the evening as we did not want to venture out. 

I'd stay there again.

We have stayed in many different hotels in Southampton. Definately did not have a good experience at either the Holiday Inn or the Hilton. We have used the Best Western Chilworth Manor for our last few cruises and had no problems.

On 2/6/2019 at 1:59 PM, mandtpa said:

Any suggestions as to where to stay in Southampton for two nights between cruises.

The Ageas Hilton has cruise packages with/without parking.

Book the Executive Floor Rooms.

https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/hilton-at-the-ageas-bowl-southampton-SOUAGHI/about/park-and-stay.html

If you are looking for budget room, then I'd recommend the Travelodge Southampton Central you know what you are getting and you are  one street away from the high street with shopping centre about 5 minute walk away. Do not recommend the Star Hotel, we inquired about prices in Southampton before and it is extremely over priced considering how out-dated it is. 

I just got a notice from trip advisor that the Grand Harbour has new management and owners.  I hope they will bring it back to the high standards that we enjoyed several years ago.  It had gone downhill in the past three years or so.  It used to be our #1 choice in Southampton.