CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

megr1125

Just now, barb32162 said:

Arno, Did you find a good place for dinner nearby?

We are light eaters when we travel.  There does not seem too much nearby.  Once the car is parked we head for the room and chill out with a bottle of wine and some snacks.  Too many calories are waiting for us onboard.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 1:29 PM, Arno. said:

We are light eaters when we travel.  There does not seem too much nearby.  Once the car is parked we head for the room and chill out with a bottle of wine and some snacks.  Too many calories are waiting for us onboard.

Snacks and wine always work!

Hi all, looking for some help. We are 7 adults flying into JFK in Nov, staying in Times square for 3 nights then sailing aboard Anthem for 7 nights. So we will need 3 transfers: JFK-NYC, NYC-Cape Liberty, Cape Liberty- JFK. Travel agent had advised to just use yellow cabs, which is fine from JFK but as far as I have read they won't take you from NYC to Cape Liberty? I emailed one company who quoted $1005 for all 3 transfers inc tolls. Any advice or is this the best way to go? Obviously we will have some large suitcases. I realize Newark is nearer to the port but we are flying in from Europe and JFK was the only direct flight. TIA.

Hello, I hope I am in the right place.  I apologize if this has been asked and answered, I'm having trouble with the search function.  Last night we booked Anthem's 3/22 sailing.   Our group is 3 ladies, late 40's to 70.  This is our first cruise from Cape Liberty. The current plan is to drive from Pittsburgh the day before.  We're looking for a clean, safe hotel with two beds and a roll away or sofa bed for Saturday 3/21/20.  It would be nice if there is a restaurant at the hotel or one nearby (within safe walking distance).

We've been to NYC before so we do not plan on doing any sightseeing. We don't mind waking up and having an hour to drive, but really don't want to be further than that.  Also, Is parking at the port our best option?  Thank you in advance.

20 minutes ago, PghSunny said:

Hello, I hope I am in the right place.  I apologize if this has been asked and answered, I'm having trouble with the search function.  Last night we booked Anthem's 3/22 sailing.   Our group is 3 ladies, late 40's to 70.  This is our first cruise from Cape Liberty. The current plan is to drive from Pittsburgh the day before.  We're looking for a clean, safe hotel with two beds and a roll away or sofa bed for Saturday 3/21/20.  It would be nice if there is a restaurant at the hotel or one nearby (within safe walking distance).

We've been to NYC before so we do not plan on doing any sightseeing. We don't mind waking up and having an hour to drive, but really don't want to be further than that.  Also, Is parking at the port our best option?  Thank you in advance.

You are in the right place.

What is your hotel budget?  What route are you coming in on from Pittsburgh?

Parking at the port is $22/day.  There are a few Park/sleep cruise options.  It all depends on your hotel budget range.  Basically you are looking for accommodations for 5 people and these can be scarce.

1 hour ago, 138east said:

You are in the right place.

What is your hotel budget?  What route are you coming in on from Pittsburgh?

Parking at the port is $22/day.  There are a few Park/sleep cruise options.  It all depends on your hotel budget range.  Basically you are looking for accommodations for 5 people and these can be scarce.

$200-$250 for the hotel if it includes parking.

Likely route: PA turnpike to 78.  

Thank you!

39 minutes ago, PghSunny said:

$200-$250 for the hotel if it includes parking.

Likely route: PA turnpike to 78.  

Thank you!

I’ve looked around the airport and along I78 and finding any kind of hotel that offers 2 beds plus a sofa bed is very difficult.  They are very scarce and none are within your budget of $200-250 including transportation to the port and parking while on the cruise.  The park sleep cruises through trinity reservations are not yet available for 2020.

Your best bet now is to make a refundable reservation at Springhill Suites in Newark for 2 doubles and a sofa bed.  Dining would be at the Courtyard in the same complex.  Other hotels which have 3 beds are Country Inns and Embassy Suites at a much higher price.

When the park sleep cruises become available through Trinityreservations.com, you could email Bruce and ask if they could guarantee 3 beds for the three of you instead of paying for 5 people.

1 hour ago, 138east said:

I’ve looked around the airport and along I78 and finding any kind of hotel that offers 2 beds plus a sofa bed is very difficult.  They are very scarce and none are within your budget of $200-250 including transportation to the port and parking while on the cruise.  The park sleep cruises through trinity reservations are not yet available for 2020.

Your best bet now is to make a refundable reservation at Springhill Suites in Newark for 2 doubles and a sofa bed.  Dining would be at the Courtyard in the same complex.  Other hotels which have 3 beds are Country Inns and Embassy Suites at a much higher price.

When the park sleep cruises become available through Trinityreservations.com, you could email Bruce and ask if they could guarantee 3 beds for the three of you instead of paying for 5 people.

Thank you.  I didn't realize some hotels offered transportation to/from the port.  I thought we'd have to Uber or take a taxi.  With that in mind our budget should be $300.

If we can get a good rate we thought about staying someplace like the Embassy Suites Berkeley Heights NJ the night before, and parking at the port the next day.  The hotel looks like it is "on the way" and google maps says will take roughly 30 minutes to get to the cruise terminal from the hotel.  Does this sound feasible?  The part that is appealing to me is the ability to "get on the road" after the cruise and not have to shuttle somewhere.  I'm the driver, and I have to work the next day.  😞

5 hours ago, PghSunny said:

Thank you.  I didn't realize some hotels offered transportation to/from the port.  I thought we'd have to Uber or take a taxi.  With that in mind our budget should be $300.

If we can get a good rate we thought about staying someplace like the Embassy Suites Berkeley Heights NJ the night before, and parking at the port the next day.  The hotel looks like it is "on the way" and google maps says will take roughly 30 minutes to get to the cruise terminal from the hotel.  Does this sound feasible?  The part that is appealing to me is the ability to "get on the road" after the cruise and not have to shuttle somewhere.  I'm the driver, and I have to work the next day.  😞

Berkeley Heights will be fine.  No reason to stay in Elizabeth and try to figure out the roads around the airport.  The three of you will feel more comfortable in a nice suburban setting and will have a straight shot on I78 to exit 14A for Cape Liberty.

29 minutes ago, 138east said:

Berkeley Heights will be fine.  No reason to stay in Elizabeth and try to figure out the roads around the airport.  The three of you will feel more comfortable in a nice suburban setting and will have a straight shot on I78 to exit 14A for Cape Liberty.

Great!  Thanks for your help!

10 hours ago, 138east said:

Could you report back on your experience at the Berkeley Heights Embassy Suites?  It truly looks like a terrific new hotel in a suburban oasis only a half hour from the port.  I’m always looking for hotels to recommend along the I78 corridor.  We lived nearby in Summit for a year, so I know you ladies will really appreciate your choice after you see the convoluted mass of spaghetti-like roads in the Newark Airport area the next morning.  The price looks terrific for what you will get.  I think this is a business hotel, which means the rates will be lower on a Friday or Saturday night.

Hi Guys,

One thing I've not seen mentioned in any of the Boards is the option of travelling from NYC to Cape Liberty by Uber of Lyft (2 people, 2 pieces of luggage). Any one had experience of this?

2 hours ago, DanCro said:

Hi Guys,

One thing I've not seen mentioned in any of the Boards is the option of travelling from NYC to Cape Liberty by Uber of Lyft (2 people, 2 pieces of luggage). Any one had experience of this?

Probably around $60 - $80 depending upon time of day.

On 8/23/2019 at 2:28 PM, 138east said:

There are now a couple of hotels coming up there (A Holiday Inn and a Courtyard) for July.  How far in advance do you recommend booking with them?  Also, while my original thought was driving to the area, how do you think they would work with Amtrak to Newark Airport and a fly, cruise, and stay package?

Thanks,

Roy

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

There are now a couple of hotels coming up there (A Holiday Inn and a Courtyard) for July.  How far in advance do you recommend booking with them?  Also, while my original thought was driving to the area, how do you think they would work with Amtrak to Newark Airport and a fly, cruise, and stay package?

Thanks,

Roy

Please provide the details on your requirements.  Hotel budget.  Number of people.  Bed size requirements.  Dining requirements.  Sightseeing requirements.

Trinity Reservations has not finalized their offerings for 2020 and will probably not do so until October.  I would email them to find out what their experience  time frame for making the 2020 offerings available.

You can certainly take Amtrak to Newark Airport, the free Airtrain to the P4 Station, and a free shuttle to any of the airport property hotels as well as certain off property hotels.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, DanCro said:

Hi Guys,

English Cruisers, is it true that neither a Canadian Visa or Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) is needed (asides from an ESTA) for cruising into Canada from the US?  

I'm not an English cruiser but if you go to Canada's official website for the eTA you'll see that it's only needed if you're flying into Canada. Also by clicking on the appropriate links on the page you will see that a British citizen visiting Canada is exempt from visa requirements.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eta.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/entry-requirements-country.html

Hi - we'll be staying at the Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott this weekend prior to sailing from Cape Liberty on Sunday. I called Carmel Limo today to arrange a hotel pick-up on Sunday morning by a Luxury sedan.

Among other things, I was told there was no difference in the types of cars used for the Sedan pick-ups and the Luxury sedan pick-ups even though the Luxury sedan rate is higher. Seems odd that the same cars would have different rates for the same trip. What am I missing?

Thanks - Kay

2 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

Hi - we'll be staying at the Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott this weekend prior to sailing from Cape Liberty on Sunday. I called Carmel Limo today to arrange a hotel pick-up on Sunday morning by a Luxury sedan.

Among other things, I was told there was no difference in the types of cars used for the Sedan pick-ups and the Luxury sedan pick-ups even though the Luxury sedan rate is higher. Seems odd that the same cars would have different rates for the same trip. What am I missing?

Thanks - Kay

I can’t speak from any personal experience, but their website shows the Sedan as a full size 4-door sedan and the Luxury Sedan appears from the photo to be a small SUV. It’s hyped as usually a Lincoln, Cadillac, or Avalon. 

https://www.carmellimo.com/General/OurFleet.shtml

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, domi411 said:

hi everyone, i will be on the anthem and i'm looking info for the parking. In few other port of call, we can find cheaper parking with a shuttle, is it the case at port liberty and is it safe ???

Thank you in advance

Not that is recommended. It’s a very isolated industrial area, parking at the port is easy, safe, and reasonably priced for the area.

3 hours ago, domi411 said:

hi everyone, i will be on the anthem and i'm looking info for the parking. In few other port of call, we can find cheaper parking with a shuttle, is it the case at port liberty and is it safe ???

Thank you in advance

If you’re driving down from Canada the day before, you might want to consider a park, sleep, cruise package through trinityreservations.com that would include round trip port transportation.

• 2 weeks later...

We are a family of 8 traveling from Cape Liberty to LGA the day that we get home from our cruise.  I will have two cars scheduled to pick us up.  How much time should I allow to get to LGA from Cape Liberty if we left about 7:30 or 8:00 am on a Sunday?  Could we feasibly catch a 12pm flight out of LGA?  I know that is a gamble, but is it one that might work?  The next flight gets us in pretty late as we are on the west coast.  TIA