CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

megr1125

Hi All!

Was looking at cruise packages for Bayonne on Trinity Reservations.  Has anyone had experience with either the Newark Springhill Suites or the Newark Embassy Suites?  Both are the same price for what we need.  Springhill is in Newark and Embassy is in Elizabeth, NJ.  We will be coming from Pittsburgh, PA.  Is one easier to get to over another or a better hotel?  I'm leaning towards the Springhill because we are Marriott members but doesn't have to be.  Thanks for any help!

On 6/11/2022 at 11:06 AM, clpkab4cruising said:

Does anyone have recommendations for parking at/near the Newark airport? (Searching for my parents who will be flying out of there for a European cruise.)

Thanks.

Cheryl

We use these guys.  Have used them many times and it's always been good.  Sometimes you have to wait 20 minutes for the shuttle back but never had any problem. My dash cam showed they didn't screw around or drive like jerks.  We're using the again in a couple weeks.

https://www.snap-parking.com/

On 6/14/2022 at 4:01 PM, Cruisin Around said:

Hi All!

Was looking at cruise packages for Bayonne on Trinity Reservations.  Has anyone had experience with either the Newark Springhill Suites or the Newark Embassy Suites?  Both are the same price for what we need.  Springhill is in Newark and Embassy is in Elizabeth, NJ.  We will be coming from Pittsburgh, PA.  Is one easier to get to over another or a better hotel?  I'm leaning towards the Springhill because we are Marriott members but doesn't have to be.  Thanks for any help!

The Springhill was the last hotel of the Marriott flavors up there to reopen after Covid.  It's not near ANYTHING to eat so you're stuck with take out or walking to the adjacent Courtyard for their bistro.

Try the Residence Inn and/or Courtyard Elizabeth (adjacent to the Embassy Suites) and you've at least got the outlet mall across to eat, as well as iHop and Ruby Tuesday though neither of those are great examples of their respective restaurant chains.

You can try those hotels direct for cruise packages too.  Yes, Trinity may be cheaper but you'll have more choices if you expand your horizons. If you're driving and are not familiar with the area, the Elizabeth ones (Embassy, CY and RI) are all next to each other, off exit 13A and are 100x easier to get to.  The ones on routes 1 and 9?  If you are not paying attention and are not in the proper lane and don't haul your butt to make the quick turn into the side street to get to the SHS (or the other Courtyard or Fairfield inn  or Home2 Suites) you're going to have to go out of the way to come back and you're gonna be mad.

I am up there all the time and know where I am going and it's still nuts!

• Like 2

On 6/15/2022 at 5:04 PM, megr1125 said:

The Springhill was the last hotel of the Marriott flavors up there to reopen after Covid.  It's not near ANYTHING to eat so you're stuck with take out or walking to the adjacent Courtyard for their bistro.

Try the Residence Inn and/or Courtyard Elizabeth (adjacent to the Embassy Suites) and you've at least got the outlet mall across to eat, as well as iHop and Ruby Tuesday though neither of those are great examples of their respective restaurant chains.

You can try those hotels direct for cruise packages too.  Yes, Trinity may be cheaper but you'll have more choices if you expand your horizons. If you're driving and are not familiar with the area, the Elizabeth ones (Embassy, CY and RI) are all next to each other, off exit 13A and are 100x easier to get to.  The ones on routes 1 and 9?  If you are not paying attention and are not in the proper lane and don't haul your butt to make the quick turn into the side street to get to the SHS (or the other Courtyard or Fairfield inn  or Home2 Suites) you're going to have to go out of the way to come back and you're gonna be mad.

I am up there all the time and know where I am going and it's still nuts!

Thanks so much!  This helps a lot.  I appreciate all your knowledge.  I booked through Trinity for the Embassy.  I called the hotel and for us to do it separately would have been about $70 more!  Thanks again!

• Like 1

We just stayed at the Embassy Suites week of June 5th with their cruise package.  The hotel was fine.  Room was clean and quiet plus ready when we arrived.  We parked for the 5 nights which was included.  The Happy Hour had a lot of munchies and also Empanadas which were delicious but filled us up along with all the other goodies so we never went to dinner.  The dining room was not used at all though.  Nobody there.  Breakfast was delicious.  They have a great omelet station.  We took the 11 am van to the port and all went well with that.  Now the bad news.  We left the ship around 8am and got to the area B or C to wait for a return trip.  We waited 1 1/2 hours for the van.  One had come but it was full and had seats for 3 people and a party of 3 took those seats.  We were assured that a van was right behind him, not to worry..  Never came and there were many people waiting.  We all called and they never answered the phone.  The hotel said they have no relationship with these vans.  The driver claimed there was traffic which, of course, there always is in that area on a weekday.  Plan accordingly as a professional service should.  Some people had flights and probably missed them.  IF you do this, make sure you make it clear that you will be picked up at a certain time.

On 6/19/2022 at 1:45 AM, Cruisin Around said:

Thanks so much!  This helps a lot.  I appreciate all your knowledge.  I booked through Trinity for the Embassy.  I called the hotel and for us to do it separately would have been about $70 more!  Thanks again!

You're welcome.  As a rule, I always book direct for points, upgrades and stuff.  $70 bucks is a nice savings though.  I am also close enough to drive up day of but I'm nuts and well, one accident on the turnpike like last week (which was close to my house, although it was Southbound and I'd go north) can screw you up.  I have alternate routes to take but still, it can be annoying.

Same with Amtrak and/or NJ Transit.  One bad storm and/or sick out and/or trespasser strike and stuff's shut down for hours, or as in the case of last Friday's sickout, ALLLLL day.  Hence I usually go a day ahead!

Have a great time!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, justcrusin' said:

Looking for recommendations for hotel stay for friends .... wants to visit NYC pre-cruise (Cape Liberty).  Flying into EWR - easy access to NYC (ie., Path/Train) and offer shuttle service from hotel to port.

Easy access from NJ would be waterfront hotels in jersey city/weehawken, or the Newark Hilton Penn station, Lyft or Uber to the port.

19 hours ago, justcrusin' said:

Looking for recommendations for hotel stay for friends .... wants to visit NYC pre-cruise (Cape Liberty).  Flying into EWR - easy access to NYC (ie., Path/Train) and offer shuttle service from hotel to port.

Hotels in Jersey City area will not have shuttle service. The views of lower Manhattan from Jersey City are well worth forgoing a shuttle. Easiest access into NYC is from Jersey City. Access to Statue of Liberty from Liberty State Park in Jersey City is available.

HI there! Need some advice ... we are cruising on Oasis 9/4 have the Springhill Suites booked for the night prior- included parking for the 7 days. We opted to not get the port transportation rather Uber or Lyft to and from hotel to port and back. Wanted to see what the areas are like at port- meaning outside is there a section for priority access? We are Emerald and wanted to know if there is a section for that or how is it set up there? We have never cruised out of this port. We are driving up from Ocean City MD area. Any embarkation info. and advice would be truly helpful Thanks so much. 

6 hours ago, divaofdisney said:

We are Emerald and wanted to know if there is a section for that or how is it set up there? We have never cruised out of this port. We are driving up from Ocean City MD area. Any embarkation info. and advice would be truly helpful Thanks so much. 

When the driver pulls up to the terminal he will stop at the luggage zone which is where you will get out with a short walk to the entrance. There is one entrance. At the entrance is one lane for suite & key members. I have seen parents with children who need to be tested also use this lane.

All others will will use the other entry lane. Unfortunately, many will be in line earlier than their assigned boarding time causing the line to extend far back. I suggest you go to the entry point and ask the attendant who is able to line up.  Once I was told groups with 3 different entry times were allowed entry. Once inside the terminal, there is no special section for emerald. Look for the shortest line or go where told to go.

On disembarkment,  facial recognition is used. Exit the terminal to your left, once outside go right to the pick up zone for car services. Overhead numbers will indicate zones 2-10, for you to inform your driver where you are. The last zone is #10, it is closest to the parking garage entry doors & elevator. Zone 10 is also for those using taxi, they must cross the 2 crosswalks on the road to the lot for the taxi dispatcher.

The Tear Drop Memorial is very close to the luggage zone. It was given by Russia in remembrance of September 11. It can be seen from the ship. If you have time to wait before your assigned entry, you might want to visit the memorial. There are benches outside the terminal but not enough for all who arrive early and must wait until their assigned time.

14 hours ago, meadowlander said:

When the driver pulls up to the terminal he will stop at the luggage zone which is where you will get out with a short walk to the entrance. There is one entrance. At the entrance is one lane for suite & key members. I have seen parents with children who need to be tested also use this lane.

All others will will use the other entry lane. Unfortunately, many will be in line earlier than their assigned boarding time causing the line to extend far back. I suggest you go to the entry point and ask the attendant who is able to line up.  Once I was told groups with 3 different entry times were allowed entry. Once inside the terminal, there is no special section for emerald. Look for the shortest line or go where told to go.

On disembarkment,  facial recognition is used. Exit the terminal to your left, once outside go right to the pick up zone for car services. Overhead numbers will indicate zones 2-10, for you to inform your driver where you are. The last zone is #10, it is closest to the parking garage entry doors & elevator. Zone 10 is also for those using taxi, they must cross the 2 crosswalks on the road to the lot for the taxi dispatcher.

The Tear Drop Memorial is very close to the luggage zone. It was given by Russia in remembrance of September 11. It can be seen from the ship. If you have time to wait before your assigned entry, you might want to visit the memorial. There are benches outside the terminal but not enough for all who arrive early and must wait until their assigned time.

14 hours ago, meadowlander said:

Awesome thanks so much. This really does help alot. 🙂

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been answered earlier in this thread (couldn’t find it by searching). 
DW and I are booked on a cruise that is scheduled to arrive at Liberty Port at 7am on a Thursday.  What is a reasonable earliest time for a domestic flight from JFK?  I would pre-arrange a transfer and can carry our bags off the ship if necessary.  
Thanks in advance.  

1 hour ago, geoff2802 said:

DW and I are booked on a cruise that is scheduled to arrive at Liberty Port at 7am on a Thursday.  What is a reasonable earliest time for a domestic flight from JFK?  I would pre-arrange a transfer and can carry our bags off the ship if necessary.   

Expect traffic on a weekday, allow a minimum of 2 hours travel to JFK. TSA recommendation is 2 hours before a domestic flight, you are up to 4 hours. I would still be concerned about traffic, I would book no flight before noon for less stress.

Carmel Limo and Dial 7 are recommended car services. Newark Airport, at 10 miles away, is the closest airport to Cape Liberty.

1 hour ago, meadowlander said:

Expect traffic on a weekday, allow a minimum of 2 hours travel to JFK. TSA recommendation is 2 hours before a domestic flight, you are up to 4 hours. I would still be concerned about traffic, I would book no flight before noon for less stress.

Carmel Limo and Dial 7 are recommended car services. Newark Airport, at 10 miles away, is the closest airport to Cape Liberty.

That sounds sensible.  
Newark is my preference due to proximity but we’ll probably be flying on AA to LAX on a Qantas ticket and JFK seems to be the only option.   
Thanks also for car service suggestions - appreciated.  

We will be sailing from NYC on Carnival Venezia. Flying 1 day ahead & staying at Riu Times Square (145 West 47th St.) Need advice on the preferred airport to fly in & out of. We will not be staying in NY post cruise. Additionally, best way to get to hotel from airport & return to airport after we dock. 

We pack light, no mobility issues, but we are senior citizens.

Thanks in advance,

-arleen

1 hour ago, leen50 said:

We will be sailing from NYC on Carnival Venezia. Flying 1 day ahead & staying at Riu Times Square (145 West 47th St.) Need advice on the preferred airport to fly in & out of. We will not be staying in NY post cruise. Additionally, best way to get to hotel from airport & return to airport after we dock. 

We pack light, no mobility issues, but we are senior citizens.

Thanks in advance,

-arleen

It matters little whether you fly into EWR, LGA or JFK. Pick your flight based on price and schedule. Taxi, Uber/Lyft rideshare or car service such as Carmel Limo or Dial 7 will be the easiest way to go. There are some mass transit options but i generally don't recommend them for those with luggage.

19 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It matters little whether you fly into EWR, LGA or JFK. Pick your flight based on price and schedule. Taxi, Uber/Lyft rideshare or car service such as Carmel Limo or Dial 7 will be the easiest way to go. There are some mass transit options but i generally don't recommend them for those with luggage.

Thanks so much for your reply. I did read somewhere that it is less expensive to get from LaGuardia to NYC than from the other airports. That being said, airfare is a major consideration.

7 minutes ago, leen50 said:

Thanks so much for your reply. I did read somewhere that it is less expensive to get from LaGuardia to NYC than from the other airports. That being said, airfare is a major consideration.

Yes, it should be a less expensive for taxi/car service/Uber from LGA, but if airfare is much cheaper to JFK or EWR the total cost of air and ground transportation can be cheaper than using LGA. I'd check out airfare first and if it's close by all means use LGA.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi - we are staying at the Hyatt House in Parsippany. Last time we sailed out of the Cape Liberty port was in 2015, and we got driving directions from this website. They were so much better than our GPS that tried to take us into NYC. I know that was a long time ago. I tried finding that again, but are there any more recent directions on cruisecritic that you can point me to?

3 hours ago, CMDE said:

Hi - we are staying at the Hyatt House in Parsippany.

You made a good choice in selecting Parsippany. Too many drivers heading to Cape Liberty feel they have to have lodging as close as possible to the port.

In Parsippany, a less suburban & less densely populated location, you will find many food options on route 46 . If you need a supermarket, Shop Rite is nearby. 10 miles before you reach Parsippany  is Rockaway mall & about 10 miles past Parisppany is the larger WIllowbrook mall.

From Parsippany, Google maps shows 287 south to 24 east to 78 east as the fastest route. If you incur traffic, it will likely be on 78 east. At the toll plaza on 78 east, stay left follow signs for 78 east Holland Tunnel NJTP. This 'NJTP extension' road will lead to Bayonne.  

Use exit 14 A on your right, stay left at the toll plaza. You will have 3 options (Avenue E - 440- Chosin Few Way) at the toll plaza, all lead to Cape Liberty (CFW being the easiest).

440 & CFW are on the left side, go up the ramp. Where 440 & CFW split (ignore the small sign directing 440 as the cruise port route) go right onto CFW. Take Chosin Few Way (no traffic lights) to the end. Left onto Goldsborough Dr and 2 miles to the port. The road has been repaved since your last visit. Arrive before 10:30 so that you do not endure waiting in the line of vehicles in front of the terminal. Drop luggage before being directed to park, either in the garage or lots, depending what month your cruise is.

Some lots are far from the terminal, a shuttle is provided for those parking far away. Last year & this, reports have been cruisers in lots paying on day of arrival & some reporting payment upon disembarking. Take the ticket with you, if you do not pay on arrival day. $30 per day parking fee.

On you way home, there is only a street sign indicating CFW. If you miss the turn, you can enter the Costco lot to get back to CFW or go straight to the light, which is 440, turn right for NJTP.

Edited by meadowlander
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

From Parsippany, Google maps shows 287 south to 24 east to 78 east as the fastest route. If you incur traffic, it will likely be on 78 east. At the toll plaza on 78 east, stay left follow signs for 78 east Holland Tunnel NJTP. This 'NJTP extension' road will lead to Bayonne

Thank you so much for all the information, so helpful.

The last time we went, with the last printed directions, I think our GPS must have said something about Holland Tunnel and I thought that would only take us into Manhattan for some reason, and thought the GPS was totally bad. I will print out your directions and not panic!

2 hours ago, CMDE said:

Thank you so much for all the information, so helpful.

The last time we went, with the last printed directions, I think our GPS must have said something about Holland Tunnel and I thought that would only take us into Manhattan

You're welcome. I appreciate when those asking for assistance express thanks as opposed to ignoring the help received. 

You are correct, Holland Tunnel leads to NYC. The NJTP extension has exits 14 A, 14 B and 14 C (Holland Tunnel).

• Like 1

Hello all,

cruising from Cape Liberty in July '23. I see that posts here are a few years old, pre-covid. Any updates? We are not from there. We are driving in. We were hoping to stay at a NJ hotel for 2 nights before the cruise (taking public transit to go into NYC in between days), take a shuttle to the terminal, and leave the car at the hotel. After reading the posts here, I have questions:

1. Is it safe to leave car at the hotel?

2. Is the parking at the hotel truly included or is it extra?

3. How are shuttles from hotel to cruise port? Hard to find space for family of 2 adults, 2 teens? Free?

4. Are the cruise parking lots supervised/safer?

5. What would be a safe area to stay in (3 or 4 star hotel) where we can easily go to a family friendly restaurant for meals?

Thank you!

50 minutes ago, Cruise Crazy Family said:

1. Is it safe to leave car at the hotel?

2. Is the parking at the hotel truly included or is it extra?

3. How are shuttles from hotel to cruise port? Hard to find space for family of 2 adults, 2 teens? Free?

4. Are the cruise parking lots supervised/safer?

5. What would be a safe area to stay in (3 or 4 star hotel) where we can easily go to a family friendly restaurant for meals?

You state that you want to spend 2 nights in NJ & transit to NYC. The closest location would be Jersey City (PATH trains to NYC), with Hoboken & Weehawken also close to NYC. Due to their location, these hotels will be more expensive than those further from NYC. I doubt any of these have stay & park packages but you could inquire.

Trinity Reservations offers stay/park/shuttle packages. Their Newark hotels would be closest to NYC via NJ Transit trains or PATH trains (but not as quick or convenient as staying in Jersey City). There are 2 hotels in Ridgefield Park NJ that offer packages but I am certain their shuttle is to Manhattan Cruise Terminal not Cape Liberty.

Hotels in Secaucus NJ, especially in/near Harmon Meadow  Plaza would have bus service to Port Authority bus terminal in NYC. There is a bus stop almost directly in front of the Hyatt Place Secaucus/Meaadowlands. Other NYC transit options would be driving to North Bergen park and ride for bus service into NYC or driving to Lautenberg train station in Secaucus for NJT trains. Both would incur parking fees.

1. I would feel safe leaving my car at hotels. Possible exception being some Newark locations but there have been no reports from cruisers of issues.

2.In stay/park packages the parking is included but it adds to the package price, you are paying a fee.

3.Doubt you will have space issues on the shuttle but you would have to ask the specific hotel what their procedure is such as signing up upon registering. Do ask the times of the shuttle service. My most recent experience had a single drop time at the port with a single return time upon disembarking. It was a 2 hour plus wait for the shuttle after leaving the ship. Shuttle will be included in price of sleep/park/shuttle packages. Hotels in Elizabeth NJ on International Boulevard have fee shuttles. Paying for 4 will be much higher than Uber/Lyft.

4.Cape Liberty has a $30 daily rate (7 night cruise is $210). There is a garage & parking lots. Sailing in July you likely will be in a lot as garage is reserved mostly for handicap plates when multiple ships sail from Bayonne.

5.Lodging location will be impacted by your transit tolerance into NYC. The Harmon Meadow area in Secaucus is a good choice for a family.  Having your auto will allow you to drive to other locations in Secaucus, Rutherford, East Rutherford for dining choices if the mall offerings are not appealing.

Edited by meadowlander
  • Like 1