Grand Turk - Beach chair scam!!!!

bamboozel

Call me crazy, but I don't think $14 is bad for a cheeseburger and fries on a caribbean island. I just paid $12.00 for a sub-par cheeseburger and fries at Applebees. I thought the burger at Jack's was better. $10 for the jerk chicken is a all-day bargain. The drink prices are high, but that expected. Although in my experience, it's a pretty good pour compared to the watered down drinks for the same price down at JimmyWorld.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, ElCrappyTan said:

Call me crazy, but I don't think $14 is bad for a cheeseburger and fries on a caribbean island. I just paid $12.00 for a sub-par cheeseburger and fries at Applebees. I thought the burger at Jack's was better. $10 for the jerk chicken is a all-day bargain. The drink prices are high, but that expected. Although in my experience, it's a pretty good pour compared to the watered down drinks for the same price down at JimmyWorld.

I agree! You are paying for the vibe as well. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Me too!  That's why Patti took pictures of the menus. :classic_biggrin:

Damn ,how much is a half of hotdog ? :classic_ohmy:

Seriously guys we had a few people in our group that got really sick eating the chicken at Jacks. We won't go there anymore .  But we haven't heard anyone else getting sick there in a while now .   Did He ever actually get a shack or is it still picnic tables with umbrellas ?

12 minutes ago, ElCrappyTan said:

I agree, and just about every menu I've seen for restaurants on the islands have had similar prices. Considering how much of the food is imported to not only meet local demand but to also cater to tourists, I can see why and expect the prices are going to be higher than in the mainland US. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElCrappyTan said:

Well you should consider at Applebees your inside in the air-condition building where the heat and the flies wont bother you while your enjoying that fourteen dollar hamburger :classic_biggrin: You're paying for the atmosphere whereas at Jacks your sitting in a crowded open air picnic table that may or may not have an umbrella over your head. On a hot day you're going to smell more than the food cooking :classic_huh:

2 minutes ago, BoDidly said:

Well you should consider at Applebees your inside in the air-condition building where the heat and the flies wont bother you while your enjoying that fourteen dollar hamburger :classic_biggrin: You're paying for the atmosphere whereas at Jacks your sitting in a crowded open air picnic table that may or may not have an umbrella over your head. On a hot day you're going to smell more than the food cooking :classic_huh:

Actually it’s the opposite. At Jacks you are paying for the view and the atmosphere, much better than nasty Applebee’s. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, mamiamjo said:

Thanks for the heads up about the free vs fee chairs and umbrellas. I have a question about crowd levels.

If we are the only ship in port how crowded will the beach and Margaritaville pool be?

Depends on the ship. Some of the larger ones can carry quite a few beach crowd people .  Average ship like Glory would be a fair amount of people , but chairs will be easily found. 

Edited by BoDidly

3 minutes ago, Enggrl said:

Actually it’s the opposite. At Jacks you are paying for the view and the atmosphere, much better than nasty Applebee’s. 

Actually the better views are way down the island, away from the ship. :classic_wink:

3 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Can the taxi actually drive onto the beach?  Would there be stairs to navigate?

Perhaps I should have been clearer:  the roads are not known to be pedestrian friendly so you would need a taxi, but I don't know how easy the beach access is from the road at the point the taxi would drop you off.

I had a bad hip, and took a taxi back from my dive, which ended at Jack's Shack. The cab picked me up right in front of Jack's Shack and took me the the pier. You're way over thinking this, stairs? (it's on the beach) driving on sand? 

On other visits to Grand Turk we have always gone to Jacks Shack or taken the unbellas in the back. We were there on Feb 1 as well and we were scooted right over to the front row. We thought...ok, might as well. Then before we knew it we were paying the guy $50 for two loungers and an umbrella. They then set up their coolers full of beer right next to my lounger...they had arguments and they actually put their cooler lid on my lounger while I was sitting in it. I told them they were making it hard for me to relax. The men didn’t seem to care. Finally my husband told them to knock it off and they moved the coolers behind our chairs...big improvement.

Carnival needs to get this under control. Our next cruise is stopping at Grand Turk and we will be heading back over to Jacks Shack!

32 minutes ago, Karlou said:

On other visits to Grand Turk we have always gone to Jacks Shack or taken the unbellas in the back. We were there on Feb 1 as well and we were scooted right over to the front row. We thought...ok, might as well. Then before we knew it we were paying the guy $50 for two loungers and an umbrella. They then set up their coolers full of beer right next to my lounger...they had arguments and they actually put their cooler lid on my lounger while I was sitting in it. I told them they were making it hard for me to relax. The men didn’t seem to care. Finally my husband told them to knock it off and they moved the coolers behind our chairs...big improvement.

Carnival needs to get this under control. Our next cruise is stopping at Grand Turk and we will be heading back over to Jacks Shack!

Is it Carnival’s to control? Do they have exclusive rights to an area of the beach? If so, it should be roped off.  I can’t fault the residents for trying to make a living but rudeness doesn’t go along with that.

13 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Is it Carnival’s to control? Do they have exclusive rights to an area of the beach? If so, it should be roped off.  I can’t fault the residents for trying to make a living but rudeness doesn’t go along with that.

Yes, Carnival owns and built the GT beach area. When someone gets hurt, Carnival might suddenly become more proactive and hire a few security guards

1 hour ago, coevan said:

Yes, Carnival owns and built the GT beach area. When someone gets hurt, Carnival might suddenly become more proactive and hire a few security guards

Carnival doesn't own the beach as all beaches in GT are public so they don't have control. The beach was there before the Cruise Center was built and was / is called Sunray Beach. 

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jamman54 said:

GT beach area

never said they owned the beach, they definitely have the power to take a more aggressive stance if they chose to. Most Caribbean and Mexican beaches are public, but some resorts hire security guards to keep the guests safe. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coevan said:

28 minutes ago, coevan said:

never said they owned the beach, they definitely have the power to take a more aggressive stance if they chose to. Most Caribbean and Mexican beaches are public, but some resorts hire security guards to keep the guests safe. 

Which is it? Are you mincing words by saying the beach area is not the beach? 

Look at it this way, if Carnival did have control of what happens on the beach, do you think they would allow vendors to sell cheaper beer and drinks out of coolers in addition to harassing cruise passengers for chair and umbrella rentals? I don't think so, but there is nothing they can do. :classic_huh:

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 1