Grand Turk - Beach chair scam!!!!

bamboozel

6 hours ago, sunshine0 said:

Im wondering how far walking from the port to Jack’s Shack? And which way should I go from the port, right or left? Thanks

We walked down close to the water on the packed sand and it took us 10-15 minutes.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, moondog73 said:

i could crawl to Jack's faster than 45 minutes.

Go ahead , I'll get my stop watch 😎😋 May even video it, maybe some kind of world record .

Edited by BoDidly

32 minutes ago, moondog73 said:

i could crawl to Jack's faster than 45 minutes.

Hi

Although Bo didn't say he went that way, if you go out to the road and walk that way, it would take longer. I know I have pushed my wife in her wheelchair that way and it didn't take 25 min., maybe he was just taking his time. :classic_rolleyes: You are on vacation, after all.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sunshine0 said:

Im wondering how far walking from the port to Jack’s Shack? And which way should I go from the port, right or left? Thanks

3 hours ago, BoDidly said:

You're wanting to walk left when leaving the pier pass Margaritaville . A good 40 to 45 minute walk.

See the source image

Dude, like how many drinks did you have before that trek?

As I already mentioned in this thread:

The walk down to Jack's Shack from the pier was not very far for my wife and I in December - it took maybe 15 min, and that was with her or me stopping every now and then to take a photo or three. I would estimate it to be just under half a mile (plus another quarter mile just getting off the ship and pier, ha ha!).  

Google Maps says it is 2200 ft from pier to Jack's Shack, straight line.

It might be 45 min from where you get off the boat, if you get distracted as you walk through the shops at the base of the pier.

EDIT: wait: @BoDidly, are you walking to "Jack's Shack" or "Jack's Shack Beach Bar and Grill", which is beyond the short cargo pier, right near the shipwreck?  That would take longer...

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

15 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

EDIT: wait: @BoDidly, are you walking to "Jack's Shack" or "Jack's Shack Beach Bar and Grill", which is beyond the short cargo pier, right near the shipwreck?  That would take longer...

Okay, so there are two Jack's Shacks, I thought Google Maps had a glitch or something when it showed two spots marked "Jack's Shack" 

I kinda want to go to the shipwreck, has anyone been to that one? Recommend?   

On 2/8/2019 at 12:46 PM, Enggrl said:

Someone said it was a HIKE! Lol 9 miles is a hike not a stroll up the beach which is less than 1/2 mile. 

Uhm, no, it’s a subjective word with different meanings to different people. What it means to you isn’t any more valid than what it means to them.

I didn't realize there were two, I wonder if that was part of the confusion in another thread.  The one I (and I think most people refer to) is about a 1/3 mile walk on the beach.  This is the one with the website coupon for a free rum shot and the famous dogs.

It is visible from the ship when docked, although we used binoculars to find the exact spot.

Went Southern Caribbean and paid for chairs/umbrella everywhere.  Expected this-have never heard of "free" anything on a cruise.  The wristband gets you into their bathrooms.  Most are manned by someone that's going to charge $2-$5 to use the bathroom if you don't have a wristband.  When in town in St. Maarten I popped into a public restroom leaving all my belongings with DH.  Lady glared at me when I wouldn't "tip" her for TP.  Only way to get any was through her.  I get this is how they make a living but really?

• 3 months later...
On 2/12/2019 at 7:33 PM, ElCrappyTan said:

+1

98.6% of cruisers that visit Grand Turk are too scared to leave the cruise center complex, which means 1,000s of people lining up to pay $100s for overpriced mediocre food and watered down Jell-O shots at JimmyWorld. 💸💸💸

98.6% don't leave the cruise center complex???🤣 Stop with your fake news and stats. I've been to Grand Turk three times in the last ten years. Each time I've seen hundreds (I'm sure even more unseen) of passengers taking excursions and solo exploratory trips around the island. It's one of the safest islands in the Caribbean. 

On 2/12/2019 at 9:37 PM, 2wheelin said:

Statistics show that 83.2% of cruisers who post statistics make them up. I have no problem leaving the port in GT. One of the safer ports.

Totally agree, but I thought the percentage was closer to 83.3%🤔

On 2/17/2019 at 2:28 AM, sunshine0 said:

Go left along the beach from the cruise ship docks, walk past Margaritaville and the Reef Shark Bar and you're there. About a 15-20 minute beach walk.

On 2/17/2019 at 6:25 AM, BoDidly said:

You're wanting to walk left when leaving the pier pass Margaritaville . A good 40 to 45 minute walk.

See the source image

45 minutes to Jack's Shack??? Dude, I'm handicapped and walk slowly with a cane and it took me only about 15-20 minutes to hobble down the beach to check out those Sandy Vaginas. What are you, completely paraplegic?🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Ramblin_Dan said:

45 minutes to Jack's Shack??? Dude, I'm handicapped and walk slowly with a cane and it took me only about 15-20 minutes to hobble down the beach to check out those Sandy Vaginas. What are you, completely paraplegic?🤔

So maybe he's counting the time off the ship through the port center, and waiting to get served at Jack's because 2 mega ships were in port at the same time.

1 hour ago, purplephenom said:

This thread has me literally LOLing.  I didn't think the walk to Jack's Shack took 45 minutes, but now I want to tell people it does because the reactions are great.  

It's 45 minutes if you walk to town first! LOL  

Pat

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, quickrate said:

It's 45 minutes if you walk to town first! LOL  

Pat

If i were left to my own devices it could take more than 45 minutes...get off the ship, oooh look at this shop over here, oooh something shiny over there, oh wait let me get in the water.  Luckily, we hit Jack's after our excursion, so no one cared when i got distracted by all the pretty things on the walk back to the ship...I mean I just had to give Topher one more pat and a hug before we left.    

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 3:19 PM, ElCrappyTan said:

It was bound to happen - the "locals" are now taking over and the port area is being ruined. With Carnivals $50 million investment in GT over a decade ago, it was almost like another private island. Years ago, you never saw a local trying to scam anyone. Now it's out of control and all over the place. 

Now that we are aware of this scam, we will speak with the shore excursion desk to see if they would be willing to alert the passengers of it before we reach Grand Turk.  It should be address in the port talk.  In all the times we have been to Grand Turk in the past, we have never been asked to pay for chairs.  It was up to us if we wanted to give a tip to the man who led us to available chairs.

I guarantee you we will not be paying for chairs on our sailing!

MARAPRINCE

1 hour ago, Maraprince said:

Now that we are aware of this scam, we will speak with the shore excursion desk to see if they would be willing to alert the passengers of it before we reach Grand Turk.  It should be address in the port talk.  In all the times we have been to Grand Turk in the past, we have never been asked to pay for chairs.  It was up to us if we wanted to give a tip to the man who led us to available chairs.

I guarantee you we will not be paying for chairs on our sailing!

MARAPRINCE

I’m sure I already commented on here, but with two more cruises coming up to this port, it really irked me, the experience we had. I also know that John Heald has addressed this after numerous letters to him, including mine. As John Heald stated, only the Blue Loungers with Green Umbrellas are free to cruise passengers. But it seems that there are a lot more of the “for fee” loungers and umbrellas from the locals. And they went and put them right in prime beach areas (closest to water) so that the free ones are scarce and in the back. I know someone will say there are plenty of free ones, but there were NONE available when we got off the ship. There was literally nowhere for us to sit. We found two loungers (one that was broken) back by Margaritaville, but not in a very shady area (no umbrella), so we just headed back to the ship after one cocktail at Margaritaville. We were really disappointed. Hoping for a better experience next time. But I’ve seen pics of this beach before they allowed the locals to take it over, and it was a much better experience for cruisers.