First Timer - flight time recommendations - out of NYC

familymanpeoria

Hey everyone,

I am doing my first cruise this September out of NYC.  I am trying to determine when to book my return flight from New York to Chicago on a Sunday.  Cruise ship is scheduled to arrive at 7am.  My two best flight options are 11:50 (EWR-cheaper) or 12:10 (LGA-more expensive).  The advise I have seen is minimum 5 hours after docking.  I'm curious what cruise veterans would say about this.  Is 4 hours 50 minutes sufficient, or should I really go to 5 hours?  Or should I plan on even later?  Is one airport substantially faster getting checked in then another?

(If it makes a difference, my travel party will also include my parents who will need some assistance moving in the airport + 4 kids under 13 years old).

NYC local here.

I've never used it but the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is equally well located for both LGA and EWR, IMO. You can shoot up the West Side Highway and across Harlem to the Triboro Bridge into LGA. LaGuardia is under severe development at the moment and can be a bit tricky at times. The exception would be Jetblue who operate from the Marine Air Terminal which is completely separate from the terminal construction.

You're also close to the Lincoln Tunnel to get you out of Manhattan quickly to EWR, and it's also not terrible to get down to the Holland Tunnel if the Lincoln is jammed up. 

Personally I'd choose the better airline/schedule/price over the slight difference between EWR and LGA travel times.  

44 minutes ago, familymanpeoria said:

Thanks for the feedback.

It sounds like EWR and LGA are both about the same for heading back home.

So what are people's thoughts - is scheduling a flight 4 hours 50 minutes after docking a good idea?  Is that a risk for missing the flight?  Should I add a couple hours?

You'll probably be okay if all is on time. On the flip side, there may very well be after-cruise options that may hold on to your bag and drop you at the airport giving you a few hours to explore (even if you’ve been to NYC 100 times, there’s always something to do). 

Flying out of Manhattan? As in using one of the heliports to get to EWR or LGA?

Of the three heliports on Manhattan the obvious choice is to use the West 30th Street heliport which is just down the West Side Highway from the cruise port. Blade operate from there and have a decent operation. You can take a seat on an existing "flight" or you can charter your own.

https://blade.flyblade.com/p/bounce

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, familymanpeoria said:

I'm bumping this topic to see if I can get some people to chime in.

Any experiences flying out of Manhattan (EWR/LGA) after a cruise?

Not to pick nits, but there are no airports in Manhattan. EWR is in New Jersey; LGA is in Queens (so is JFK). Just FYI as you're guiding yourself around the city.