Dog on the Edge!

chaswill

We just completed our cruise on the Edge, 20 Jan - 27 Jan, and spotted a small dog being carried around by a passenger.  She took it in a small bag to a show in the theater and into the cafe!! We questioned a staff member at Guest Services and he said they have to go through a lot of paperwork to bring a dog on board and are told that some ports will not let animals off the ship. He said that there was a place on deck 5 where the dog can do their ‘business’. IMHO, I think this is setting  dangerous precedent after what has happened with the airlines.

• Like 3

Welcome to the world of entitlement.

please don’t blame the cruise line or airline, if you claim its a service animal that’s accepted as a fact. They cant even question WHY you need a service animal. Just throw a vest over your dog and voila instant service animal, take fluffy on the cruise.

if i sound cynical, I AM. Its a system that is full of abuse. We have a family member that is a quadriplegic veteran and understand what a real service animal is and is not. 

Your emotional need peacock is B.S.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, chaswill said:

We just completed our cruise on the Edge, 20 Jan - 27 Jan, and spotted a small dog being carried around by a passenger.  She took it in a small bag to a show in the theater and into the cafe!! We questioned a staff member at Guest Services and he said they have to go through a lot of paperwork to bring a dog on board and are told that some ports will not let animals off the ship. He said that there was a place on deck 5 where the dog can do their ‘business’. IMHO, I think this is setting  dangerous precedent after what has happened with the airlines.

While I think there are too many cases of people traveling with their ESAs, keep in mind that not all disabilities are visible. 

Edited by lovecruzin
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, lovecruzin said:

While I think there are too many cases of people traveling with their ESAs, keep in mind that not all disabilities are visible. 

If it is an ESA, NOT ACCEPTABLE! If it is a true "SERVICE ANIMAL", great!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, lovecruzin said:

While I agree completely, the way a person treats a service animal is entirely visible.

If its being treated like a pet - that's probably exactly what it is.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Florida, and other states are now doing the same, have a law against fake service animals.  This entitlement has gone WAY too far.  This is just another example of how people are essentially selfish.  The selfishness manifests itself in various ways.  Sometimes it's a "service animal" and other times is things like being a chair hog.  

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0400-0499/0413/Sections/0413.08.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, begood2me said:

Florida, and other states are now doing the same, have a law against fake service animals.  This entitlement has gone WAY too far.  This is just another example of how people are essentially selfish.  The selfishness manifests itself in various ways.  Sometimes it's a "service animal" and other times is things like being a chair hog.  

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0400-0499/0413/Sections/0413.08.html

Service animal.jpg

• Like 13

31 minutes ago, begood2me said:

(9) A person who knowingly and willfully misrepresents herself or himself, through conduct or verbal or written notice, as using a service animal and being qualified to use a service animal or as a trainer of a service animal commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083 and must perform 30 hours of community service for an organization that serves individuals with disabilities, or for another entity or organization at the discretion of the court, to be completed in not more than 6 months.

plus

(b) For a misdemeanor of the second degree, by a definite term of imprisonment not exceeding 60 days.

-or-

(e) $500, when the conviction is of a misdemeanor of the second degree or a noncriminal violation.

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We went to Publix in downtown Miami the night before our last cruise. The women with dogs in the carts were sickening. And, to the people that get offended by a picture being taken of these "Entitled" law breakers. Get used to it. The people with their pets "In tow", are the ones in the wrong. I've got pictures of women with their little dogs in the carts beside me in the Self-checkout at our local SuperTarget grocery department. Nothing gets a response from corporate, as fast as a picture of this posted on their Facebook page.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jelayne said:

I’m particularly fond of the white poodle that is pushed around the ship in a pink stroller with a different outfit everyday.

Think we saw this dog on a cruise a couple of years ago.  Even had sunglasses on.  It also barked at people as they walked by which a true service animal would not.  The woman had the dog in a basket on her rascal.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ghstudio said:

(9) A person who knowingly and willfully misrepresents herself or himself, through conduct or verbal or written notice, as using a service animal and being qualified to use a service animal or as a trainer of a service animal commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083 and must perform 30 hours of community service for an organization that serves individuals with disabilities, or for another entity or organization at the discretion of the court, to be completed in not more than 6 months.

plus

(b) For a misdemeanor of the second degree, by a definite term of imprisonment not exceeding 60 days.

-or-

(e) $500, when the conviction is of a misdemeanor of the second degree or a noncriminal violation.

Problem with the state laws is that they cannot supersede Federal laws.  Federal law still states that you cannot ask for documentation and are only allowed to ask two questions, is your animal a service animal and what service does it provide.    Therefore they need to prove the violation in another way. 

When discussing this issue, it should be made clear that there is a difference between Emotional Support animals and Service animals.  Two different things, different laws.   We do not know what these people are telling the cruise line as to what the status of the dog is. 

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Problem with the state laws is that they cannot supersede Federal laws.  Federal law still states that you cannot ask for documentation and are only allowed to ask two questions, is your animal a service animal and what service does it provide.    Therefore they need to prove the violation in another way. 

When discussing this issue, it should be made clear that there is a difference between Emotional Support animals and Service animals.  Two different things, different laws.   We do not know what these people are telling the cruise line as to what the status of the dog is. 

Not to mention that businesses are afraid to encounter emotional support dogs or fake service dogs, because the first thing out of the mouth of their owner is "I'll sue you".  They know they can get away with it because businesses are afraid of getting sued.

When on a cruise ship and you see a dog doing things that are not behavior of a service dog; i.e., doing their business in a public place, excessive barking when not alerting their owner to an issue, sitting on chairs, being fed at tables, growling at people, snapping or being aggressive, etc. take a picture and send one copy to the cruise line corporate office and another, outling the behavior, to the first US port Health Department.

IMHO, true service dogs needs to be registered, just like those that have handicap license plates.  Unfortunately, many organizations who supply service dogs to individual don't want this, because they say it would publically let folks know they have a disability.....well, doesn't the dog already alert folks to that.

• Like 10

What I WILL do, if I see someone will their little "Fluffy" that I believe is NOT a "Service Dog". I WILL take pics of the person, dog, etc... And, I WILL post them. I WILL also, send them to corporate of the store, cruise line, restaurant, etc... This has got to stop. The only way, better legislation and enforcement of the laws will happen, is to have corporations and businesses ask for protections. This will protect true "Service dog" owners, and the general public, that feel that they don't have any recourse for these "Selfish and entitled" pet owners. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On Reflection a couple of weeks back there was a man on his own with a large labradoodle dog wearing a vest saying it was a service animal ' in training ' . Due to a delay in boarding, there was a large crowd on the gangway and the dog didn't like the sound of hand luggage being dragged along and it kept leaping at the cases. The guy had to keep pulling it away from people including us. Now I am a dog lover but it is still a bit alarming to have a dog diving at you. I personally don't think a dog in training should have been allowed onboard as it isn't a true service animal until it is fully trained. I overheard people asking him what the dog did for him and there were vague answers that he helped get him out of bed ! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lovescarborough said:

On Reflection a couple of weeks back there was a man on his own with a large labradoodle dog wearing a vest saying it was a service animal ' in training ' . Due to a delay in boarding, there was a large crowd on the gangway and the dog didn't like the sound of hand luggage being dragged along and it kept leaping at the cases. The guy had to keep pulling it away from people including us. Now I am a dog lover but it is still a bit alarming to have a dog diving at you. I personally don't think a dog in training should have been allowed onboard as it isn't a true service animal until it is fully trained. I overheard people asking him what the dog did for him and there were vague answers that he helped get him out of bed ! 

Service dogs in training do not have ADA protection.

• Like 4

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought Edge had replaced the horse with a dog because too many people were getting up on the horse to have pix taken and then falling off!!

I despise people who think rules are for others.  I think the cruise line needs to deny boarding to these fake support animals when they see them in their cute cruise outfits at embarkation.  This would stop it quickly. 

• Like 2