Small world

lenquixote66

14 hours ago, LuckyStar said:

Weird story. Hubby and I took a trip to Europe a few years ago and ended up in obscure little village in Switzerland.  We decided to take boat ride on a local lake.  Struck up a conversation with a woman on the boat.  After hearing each other's accents, we discovered she lived only about 15 miles from my mom in small town Texas.  The world is so small. 

Similar one.

I was at Victoria Falls in Zambia.  I took the sunset cruise.

I was sitting there, when a group of women, traveling together arrived, and sat to my left along the rail.  From the accents, they were American.  So I started talking to the lady next to me.

Turns out, she lived about 3 miles from my parents, outside DC.

A few years later, I am on Grandeur.  Start talking to a lady in the lounge.  Turns out she lives in the same neighborhood as the woman in Zambia, and near my parents.

• Like 1

Last May I began a conversation with a guy in a gym. He hung out in the same NYC park as me but we never knew each other.We began mentioning names of other people,no match.Then he said there was a guy he was very friendly with but last saw him45 years ago.That guy is my best friend and the 3 of us went to lunch a few weeks later.

On 2/7/2019 at 8:09 PM, lenquixote66 said:

In 2010 we met a couple on a cruise from PA.He had a very distinctive southern accent while she did not have an accent. I jokingly said to her "you must be from NY".He grew up in Beaumont ,Texas and she in Brooklyn,NY.She and I went to the same HS but did not know each other.

I went to college in Beaumont, Texas. 🙂

On February 7, 2019 at 11:32 AM, lenquixote66 said:

Do you ever talk to a stranger on a cruise and after some conversation realize that both of you know some of the same people ? It has happened to me on every cruise I have been on since 2010. The most interesting was in 2017. We had lunch with another couple.They were from Virginia but grew up in NYC. The wife and my wife graduated from the same college in the same year.The husband told me that he had 4 close friends in HS that he has had no contact with since 1960. I said that I know a lot of people who went to that HS perhaps I know them.

Guy number one was the brother of one of my closest friends.Guy number 2 was someone I have known since 1958. Guy number 3 is my neighbor where I live now.Guy number 4 I did not know.

I live in a relatively small town,pop.32,000. In the 16 years I have been living here and cruising 2-3 times a year I have yet to meet anyone on a cruise from my town.

I recently found myself posting on a CC topic to a person from my town and we likely will be on the same cruise later this year.

We were walking through a lounge on the POA and I heard someone call my name.  It was a former pastor and his family.

What made it an even "smaller world" was that our tour tickets had somehow been delivered to their cabin.  Our names were nowhere near alike.

I was on a “managers’ retreat” in Crested Butte with colleagues. We were taken for a long ride out of town in the back of an open truck with benches. Half an hour after our last sight of civilization, we were pretty high in the mountains on a dirt road with a sheer drop off. Our truck was inching along clinging to the inside of the road when a open top convertible approached from the other direction and proceeded to drive past us inches from the edge. 

My friend looked down at it, then jumped up and screeched a name. 

Both vehicles stopped while she and her next door neighbor babbled about seeing each other. 

I swear the convertible was hanging over the edge, and we expected to see it fall off the mountain. 

I’ve run into people in lots of places around the world, but that one was amazing. 

In the same 'small world' vein: thanks to FB, most of my friends know I love to cruise and frequently message me for advice. A few years ago, a close friend and roommate from my very early Air Force days (who I hadn't seen in 20+ years) messaged me with questions. I gave her what advice I could, and answered her questions - but never mentioned what ship/dates I was sailing next. So imagine my surprise when, as I'm travelling to the port for my next cruise, she messaged me on FB and mentioned she finally was going on a cruise with her mom - and it was the exact same one I was getting ready to board! We had the best time catching up on the ship, and it is still the biggest surprise I've ever had while cruising! 

Edited by samiam0403

On 2/16/2019 at 5:28 PM, samiam0403 said:

In the same 'small world' vein: thanks to FB, most of my friends know I love to cruise and frequently message me for advice. A few years ago, a close friend and roommate from my very early Air Force days (who I hadn't seen in 20+ years) messaged me with questions. I gave her what advice I could, and answered her questions - but never mentioned what ship/dates I was sailing next. So imagine my surprise when, as I'm travelling to the port for my next cruise, she messaged me on FB and mentioned she finally was going on a cruise with her mom - and it was the exact same one I was getting ready to board! We had the best time catching up on the ship, and it is still the biggest surprise I've ever had while cruising! 

Serendipity in action!