Bridge players aboard a cruise ship

jouggie1

My wife and I were lucky to find a fellow passenger bridge director with most of the paraphenalia associated with duplicate bridge aboard the Celebrity Reflection on a trans-Atlantic cruise. 

We will be sailing aboard the same ship on the Caribbean in less than two weeks. We will also be sailing aboard the Princess Sky in November on another trans-Atlantic voyage.

Is there anybody out there interested in establishing dublicate bridge activity on either sailing? I would be willing to help. 

Ater some coaxing, the staff aboard the Reflection provided bridge players with snacks. We played after lunch in an alcove of a dining room using cards provided by the ship. Very enjoyable.

Maybe the cruise ship would provide a bridge director who would also give bridge lessons to both novices and "experts".

16 minutes ago, jouggie1 said:

My wife and I were lucky to find a fellow passenger bridge director with most of the paraphenalia associated with duplicate bridge aboard the Celebrity Reflection on a trans-Atlantic cruise. 

We will be sailing aboard the same ship on the Caribbean in less than two weeks. We will also be sailing aboard the Princess Sky in November on another trans-Atlantic voyage.

Is there anybody out there interested in establishing dublicate bridge activity on either sailing? I would be willing to help. 

Ater some coaxing, the staff aboard the Reflection provided bridge players with snacks. We played after lunch in an alcove of a dining room using cards provided by the ship. Very enjoyable.

Maybe the cruise ship would provide a bridge director who would also give bridge lessons to both novices and "experts".

Have you located your ROLL CALL yet?

If not, please do find it ASAP, so you can connect with others who will definitely be on *your* sailing 🙂

On the main TOC (table of contents) for CC, there is a list of all cruise ship lines, and right after that, a list of Roll Calls for the different lines, and each ship.  Click on yours, then find the dates for your particular sailing, and... enjoy!

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

As indicated - take a peek / join the roll call thread for your upcoming cruise.

Some cruise lines have dedicated spaces for Bridge [the 'Atlantic Room' on QM2 for example] and may arrange hosting for lessons and tournaments. (A friend's husband gets a 'free' cruise with various lines running their Bridge program for the cruise)

We had an ACBL Bridge instructor who gave a lecture each day followed by open play - this was a TA from Barcelona to Tampa.  Made the sea days very pleasant.  I do see established bridge cruises advertised, mostly on higher end lines but occasionally on main stream lines.  

• 2 weeks later...

Most, if not all, mainstream cruise lines have stopped offering organized duplicate bridge with certified directors. I believe Princess was the last to offer it, and quit offering it several years ago. Celebrity actually turned the old card room on M-class ships into the seated area for Cafe al Bacio.

You will need to go on premium (e.g. Oceania, Cunard) or luxury to find it now.

If I ever decide to take a TA cruise, I will probably bring some of my duplicate boards along in hopes of finding some fellow bridge players with an interest in duplicate.

May all your sea days be filled with grand slams!

On 2/8/2019 at 6:35 PM, SbbquilterUT said:

We had an ACBL Bridge instructor who gave a lecture each day followed by open play - this was a TA from Barcelona to Tampa.  Made the sea days very pleasant.  I do see established bridge cruises advertised, mostly on higher end lines but occasionally on main stream lines.  

Yes, but the advertised bridge cruises are for groups paying extra to join the group - not open to regular passengers outside the group. And the vast majority of them are on luxury lines.