Alaska Airlines credit card companion fare question?

Mountaineer0313

I just applied for and was approved for an Alaska Air Visa card. Our cruise isn't until August 2020, but can someone explain to me how the companion fare works? As well as any other perks I might be able to get? I want to get the most out of it and save the most money possible on our flights, as I know our flights for our last Alaska cruise were pretty pricey. I didn't really take much time to research the best ways to save money last time, but now that we're doing it again and I have time on my side, I want to save as much as possible. Thank you!

I got this card last fall mainly to take advantage of the free companion fare for our Alaska cruise this summer 2019. I received the card in Oct and spent the required $1000 in the first month to get the free companion pass. I think I had 3 months to spend $1000 but I was buying flights to CA at the time so I used Alaska Air and got the triple miles on the card. On the date of my first billing cycle, I saw my bonus miles (30k) and the companion pass in my account online. I booked my multi-city flight from NYC - ANC and back from SEA - NYC for the summer and used the pass for my daughters flight. Total for the 2 of us came to $640RT. Have to say, I was thrilled with the price. And we loved our Alaska Air flights to CA, very comfortable, good movie choices and on time. Well worth the $75 annual fee for the card but have to see where we can go next year that Alaska flies. I will get another companion certificate in Sept.

Let me know if you have other questions!  

One more thing - the free bags for everyone in your party are also a great perk!

Edited by princess_mom

5 minutes ago, princess_mom said:

I got this card last fall mainly to take advantage of the free companion fare for our Alaska cruise this summer 2019. I received the card in Oct and spent the required $1000 in the first month to get the free companion pass. I think I had 3 months to spend $1000 but I was buying flights to CA at the time so I used Alaska Air and got the triple miles on the card. On the date of my first billing cycle, I saw my bonus miles (30k) and the companion pass in my account online. I booked my multi-city flight from NYC - ANC and back from SEA - NYC for the summer and used the pass for my daughters flight. Total for the 2 of us came to $640RT. Have to say, I was thrilled with the price. And we loved our Alaska Air flights to CA, very comfortable, good movie choices and on time. Well worth the $75 annual fee for the card but have to see where we can go next year that Alaska flies. I will get another companion certificate in Sept.

Let me know if you have other questions!  

One more thing - the free bags for everyone in your party are also a great perk!

That's awesome! Our flights from Pittsburgh to Vancouver and then Anchorage back to Pittsburgh came in around $1700 total for both of us, so $640 round trip would be great! And definitely better with free checked bags!

Here's how it works.  First, if you haven't already opened an Alaska Airlines frequent flyer account, do so.  Then when it's time to book tickets, sign in and go to your profile page.  Click on "Discount and Companion Fare Codes" and click on "Shop" next to the companion fare listing.  The code will automatically be applied to the reservation.

On the how-to front, a couple of things to remember.

1.  It only works on flights operated by Alaska Airlines or its subsidiary Horizon.  Trips that include both Alaska flights and flights by other airlines (for example, an American flight connecting to an Alaska flight) the fare won't work.  Depending on where you live, this might mean taking a separate flight to/from the nearest airport served by Alaska, or maybe driving there.

2.  It only works on flights booked in economy, not first class.

3.  You can use it for one way, round trip, or multiple flight itineraries (for example, flights to Anchorage but returning from Vancouver after a cruise.)  Obviously the higher the basic fare, the greater the savings for the companion.

4.  The companion fare is only good when the other ticket is PAID, not a mileage award ticket.  You probably got a slug of miles when you got the credit card, but these can't be used on the same reservation as the companion ticket.  However, if there are three people traveling, one could be paid, one could be the companion, and the third (with its own reservation) could be using the miles.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I apologize in advance for taking this thread somewhat off topic -- but another value in using the Alaska Airlines credit card to accrue miles is the nice number of Alaska Airlines milage partners.  We purchase tickets for domestic travel but try to use Alaska Air miles for foreign travel.  We used Alaska miles to return from Japan last fall on a wonderful Japan Air flight from Narita to Vancouver in business class.  

I'll verify that it works just like Gardyloo & princess_mom describe. We used our companion fare to book our flight to Anchorage, Joy's ticket was $32, mine was $351+ taxes - main cabin and we paid for upgraded seats (extra leg room). We are taking a flight non stop back out of Seattle. I used miles for the ticket - used miles + $6, Joys, ticket was $402+tax (both First Class. Works like a champ. You can use their web page to watch flights and prices but I found it much easier to use Matrix to compare all. Sometimes a flight on the Alaska Air page will go away and then reappear a couple of days later. That can be very irritating. There is also a way to watch price changes on Google and have it sent to your phone.  Try  http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Edited by masterdrago
  • Like 1

I just received my card and I am going to take my wife and grandaughter SEA to ANC.  Works out I pay 1 ticket, one companion, and one using miles.  Saved a ton of money.  Booked RDU to SEA on Delta miles from my Delta AMEX.  About $300 plus taxes RDU to ANC.  I take that deal any time.

15 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

I apologize in advance for taking this thread somewhat off topic -- but another value in using the Alaska Airlines credit card to accrue miles is the nice number of Alaska Airlines milage partners.  We purchase tickets for domestic travel but try to use Alaska Air miles for foreign travel.  We used Alaska miles to return from Japan last fall on a wonderful Japan Air flight from Narita to Vancouver in business class.  

For visitors to Alaska who'd like to get "off the beaten path" and who have some Alaska Airlines miles (maybe acquired through the credit card signup bonus) it's worth mentioning that in-state awards can be as cheap as 5,000 miles each way.  So for example if you wanted to fly north of the arctic circle to Kotzebue or Utquagvik (Barrow) and stick a toe in the Arctic Ocean, or fly to Nome and drive around the Seward Peninsula (and stick a toe in the Bering Sea) it would only "cost" 10,000 miles round trip, plus $10 or so in taxes.  Terrific deal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RussNJodi said:

Is there a limit to the number of cards in a household? In other words, we have a family of 5; can my wife and I each get a card with the signup bonus and companion voucher and use them both on the same flight for our kids? 

I've talked with them several times by phone and have found the call takers to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable every time. Give them a call directly 800  932  2775.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RussNJodi said:

Is there a limit to the number of cards in a household? In other words, we have a family of 5; can my wife and I each get a card with the signup bonus and companion voucher and use them both on the same flight for our kids? 

Presumably that would be up to the B of A and the credit agencies.  As far as being able to use two certificates on the same trip, sure, as long as the two cardholders and two companions are on separate reservations.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that it will take 6-8 weeks for the companion fare code to be available in your account. I got the card last year before we took a trip to Hawaii. I didn't realize it would take so long when I applied. I wound up booking the flights without the code, and am now using it for another trip instead. Subsequent years the companion fare will show up about the same time, and unused codes will disappear. Make sure you'll be able to use them!

1 minute ago, Dani24 said:

Keep in mind that it will take 6-8 weeks for the companion fare code to be available in your account. I got the card last year before we took a trip to Hawaii. I didn't realize it would take so long when I applied. I wound up booking the flights without the code, and am now using it for another trip instead. Subsequent years the companion fare will show up about the same time, and unused codes will disappear. Make sure you'll be able to use them!

Good to know. We're not booked until August 2020, so we're good on that end.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:16 AM, RussNJodi said:

Thanks for the info

They do charge $75.00 a year for their card BUT when you consider the free bags and what that would cost if you had to pay for them, and the discount.... it is a great deal....We got the card for the same reason others have said....for an Alaska trip, and my wife already wants to go again...

Edited by Etchdreams
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

my husband and I both have Alaska Visa cards.

We charge most of our food, and utilities and house hold expences each month to get our miles.  we pay in full each  month so thereeach are no interest fees.

We use our miles to book flights.  our trip in Aug was $5.60 each and twenty five thousand miles for one way first class. Sac to Van.

I have not used the companion fare because we always have enough miles to fly.

We are very happy with the miles program. especially if you are flying on pacific coast.

yes they do charge $75 each year but your bags fly free.

Edited by Seawoff
add

Another thing to be aware of... you only get free baggage for the reservation the cardholder is on. So if you use the companion fare to book yourself and your child, then book your spouse on a separate ticket (e.g. to use miles), your spouse will not get free luggage — only you and your child.

Also, after the first year, the companion fare is $99 + taxes. Only the first year is free + taxes. Factor in the $75 fee, and in order to make it worth it in future years you’ll only see savings on a fare that’s more than $174.

Edited by Dani24

1 hour ago, Dani24 said:

Another thing to be aware of... you only get free baggage for the reservation the cardholder is on. So if you use the companion fare to book yourself and your child, then book your spouse on a separate ticket (e.g. to use miles), your spouse will not get free luggage — only you and your child.

Also, after the first year, the companion fare is $99 + taxes. Only the first year is free + taxes. Factor in the $75 fee, and in order to make it worth it in future years you’ll only see savings on a fare that’s more than $174.

No kids, thank god. It will only ever be me and my husband. 

As far as $99 companion fare, that’s still practically free. The lowest I ever saw flights go last year for our trip was around $700 per person, which is what we paid. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2019 at 3:37 AM, RussNJodi said:

we have two  husband and wife  both with different numbers and both earn miles independently   offer of two companion fares each year

The first bag free is for more than just the person with the card. Myself, the card holder and my spouse, the companion fare have always gotten one free bag each when booking with the card.  I believe it is up to 5 or maybe six that get the first bag free.  It has this info on the site.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:12 AM, TexasBorderAussie said:

The first bag free is for more than just the person with the card. Myself, the card holder and my spouse, the companion fare have always gotten one free bag each when booking with the card.  I believe it is up to 5 or maybe six that get the first bag free.  It has this info on the site.

This is true... BUT they have to be on the same reservation as the card holder.

We just used our companion fare to book flights to Hawaii. That covered me and DD, and we will both get free bags. But we had to pay separately for the other two tickets (for DH and his mom). For one ticket we used miles, and the other was full fare. We could not book more than two tickets on the reservation with the companion fare. As a result DH and MIL will have to pay the baggage fees, even though I paid for all of the flights on my Alaska Visa.

Edited by Dani24