Shore Excursion - Vava'u, Tonga

vjr

Hi everyone - 

My husband and I are book on the 9/21 -  Fiji, Tonga, Cook and Society Islands cruise. This is our 3rd PG cruise (first 2 were 7 days), so we are familiar with the ship and the excursions available on the 7-day itinerary.   In looking at this 12 day itinerary, it looks like we have a few sea days, so I would like to do an excursion each day we can to the ports we have not visited before.  For Tonga - there is a "Beach Combing & Snorkeling" tour to the Tongan Beach Resort.  Has anyone done this excursion?  According to reviews on Trip Advisor, the beach is brown,  somewhat rocky, and not what you would usually expect from a French Polynesian beach.  The other excursions might be a bit too taxing for my husband who has some physical limitations.  We are also looking at  snorkeling tours in each of the Fiji ports and Aitutaki.   Can anyone recommend these?  Thanks!

On Aitutaki we have used Teking 2 times and he is great.  You can see his reviews on Trip Advisor.  On Fiji you may want to consider a ships excursion as any snorkeling is a distance from the port and the infrastructure is a little iffy.  While we always use private excursions I would be cautious to make sure timing works out with a private excursion on Fiji.

We've always booked ship excursions because, as you said,  I'm always worried about the timing.  There aren't a lot of choices on Tonga, which I why I threw the question out there.

I'll look at Teking.  I assume you've never had a problem getting back on time?

We used Hakau day cruise when we did this cruise a couple of years ago.  Our experience was so much better than the ones who booked through the ship.  We had almost double the time, went to snorkeling sites that were amazing, and for less money.  They took a limited amount of people so can customize for your needs.  The only thing we in town was was a very good rum punch.  

Edited by justmeindustland

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 2:12 PM, vjr said:

Hi everyone - 

My husband and I are book on the 9/21 -  Fiji, Tonga, Cook and Society Islands cruise. This is our 3rd PG cruise (first 2 were 7 days), so we are familiar with the ship and the excursions available on the 7-day itinerary.   In looking at this 12 day itinerary, it looks like we have a few sea days, so I would like to do an excursion each day we can to the ports we have not visited before.  For Tonga - there is a "Beach Combing & Snorkeling" tour to the Tongan Beach Resort.  Has anyone done this excursion?  According to reviews on Trip Advisor, the beach is brown,  somewhat rocky, and not what you would usually expect from a French Polynesian beach.  The other excursions might be a bit too taxing for my husband who has some physical limitations.  We are also looking at  snorkeling tours in each of the Fiji ports and Aitutaki.   Can anyone recommend these?  Thanks!

The Sept. 7th cruise will be my 4th with PG.

I would suggest the Ene'io Tongan Feast. There is a little beach for combing or swimming at the venue. You get a beautiful lunch of suckling pig, etc AND a gorgeous dancing show done by the family. Totally chill and no physical exertion. 

Weather can be a HUGE factor in going to Aitutaki. It it's too windy or rough, you won't even get off the ship. We didn't in 2017 when I did the same sailing you are doing this year, but I got my Aitutaki fix last year on the 11 day cruise. :)

Happy sailing!!!