Bangkok Excursion

portnum

Cruisers-need your help. As part of the southeast cruse, the ship will be at Bangkok overnight so I will have two days to experience the city. My friend is suggesting "The Hangover" tour. Has anyone signed up for this type of adventure through the tour companies? Is it worth it? How much? What company to use?

I would suggest a centrally located hotel for the overnight and do your own touring.  Look for one along a metro line - hotels near Sukhumvit would work well.

If you just want alcohol and inebriation, why not just a Carnival booze cruise?  Much too much to enjoy and appreciate in BKK for you to spend your time in bars and in hangover recovery.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

If you just want alcohol and inebriation, why not just a Carnival booze cruise?  Much too much to enjoy and appreciate in BKK for you to spend your time in bars and in hangover recovery.

I think the tour refers to a movie (or the sequel) that I personally haven't seen, nor have any interest in such.

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I would suggest a centrally located hotel for the overnight and do your own touring.  Look for one along a metro line - hotels near Sukhumvit would work well.

I'd go long with the Flyer, but with another option - a hotel along the river. Fast Ferries to places like the Grand Palace, Chinatown, and Wat Arun, and down-river to Asiatique.

And 90 minutes on your own long-tail boat through the Klingon (canals).

If your ship ports at Laem Chabang, fix up your transfer to / from Bangkok in advance - waaaay cheaper than the cartel that runs taxis from the port.

JB

edit klongs, not klingons. Silly autocorrect

Edited by John Bull

• 1 month later...

Hi good call for a Riverside hotel. The Chatrium Riverside is worthy of consideration. River view suites are large quiet and comfortable, great breakfast. They are currently upgrading the rooms and are working up from the lower floors. If you want to pre book any tours you could try Wandee Wandee@wandeetours.com. You could book tours that include round trip  transfers from the port or just do transfers. 

Chatrium location is good for getting around, 15 minute walk to Asiatique and hotel has own ferry in opposite direction to Taksin pier about 10 minutes. 

Have a great trip whatever you do. 

We have stayed in Sukhumvit several times (Novatel and Renaissance).  Good location. Very close to the BKK and to the canal boats that go along to Siam Centre and Jim Thompson house.

This year we stayed at the Chatrium Riverside (there are two Chatriums, one is Riverside).  It was the best Bangkok hotel we have stayed in to date.  Had a river view suite.  You can take their ferry five-10 minutes to the BKK line.  Plus you get to see all the traffic on the river and see how it changes at night and in the morning.

We have always done our own tours in Bangkok.  We use the BKK rapid transit, the river boats, and the canal boat.  Traffic is a zoo in Bangkok. I would not want to be wasting my time sitting in a tour bus in the middle of a traffic jam.  It is an easy city to get around.  Our advice would be to get a tour book, understand a little about the city and what you want to see prior to going.  The hotels have lots of maps and the concierge is a great resource for information about the best ways to get anywhere.

Edited by iancal

• 2 weeks later...

You really need to know which port you will dock at.  Most cruise ships listing Bangkok do not dock in the city or really anywhere near the city. The port is Laem Chabang on the Gulf of Thailand, very close to Pattaya Thailand (South 30 minutes away)  or if you want to go to Bangkok it  is about two hours away to the North West. Bangkok does have a cruise port in the city on the Chao Phraya River  at Klong Toey but only smaller cruise ships use this port.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay buddy, if you're really looking for the Hangover experience, what you really want is to go to girly bars and drink, right?

If this is what you want, that's easy.  The girly bars are situated in 2 areas.  One is Nana Plaza and the other is Soi Cowboy.  There is a load of information about them online and they are totally safe to go to.  

The other cool part of BKK are the rooftop bars.  BKK has an awesome skyline, and you should def take some pictures on top of one.  Again, you can google bangkok rooftop bars and get all the info.

Aside from that and some sites in the morning like the Grand Palace, you won't have time for much more on an overnight stay.  

So, what I would do is book a hotel downtown.  Being close to Terminal 21 or Central World are good spots.  Then book a transfer from and to the port where your cruise docks.  Check into the hotel and party your life away.  Just make sure that you get back to the dock in time lol.

Edited by yoolykeme