New to DCL not to cruising - questions

jenniferop

Hello, DH and I are not new cruisers but will be sailing our first Disney cruise Jan2020... sailing on the Dream after the Disney Marathon weekend. Here are my questions if anyone has answers I’ll be forever grateful.

1. We will be registering for the 2020 Marathon soon... the Castaway Cay 5k is also in the registration site for $80pp... is it the same price on the ship? If I register ahead of time do I need to do anything additional once on board?

2. Does Disney have a drink package? If so, how much pp/pd?

3. Do Annual passholders have included PhotoPass while in the ship? Instead of buying printed pictures?

4. Anything we should know that is particular to Disney cruising? Something we would not already know as regular cruisers? 

Many thanks! We have 11months but never to early to start planning.

22 minutes ago, jenniferop said:

Hello, DH and I are not new cruisers but will be sailing our first Disney cruise Jan2020... sailing on the Dream after the Disney Marathon weekend. Here are my questions if anyone has answers I’ll be forever grateful.

1. We will be registering for the 2020 Marathon soon... the Castaway Cay 5k is also in the registration site for $80pp... is it the same price on the ship? If I register ahead of time do I need to do anything additional once on board?

2. Does Disney have a drink package? If so, how much pp/pd?

3. Do Annual passholders have included PhotoPass while in the ship? Instead of buying printed pictures?

4. Anything we should know that is particular to Disney cruising? Something we would not already know as regular cruisers? 

Many thanks! We have 11months but never to early to start planning.

2.  The closest thing to a drink package is the wine packages.  You purchase for X number of nights (4 night, 7 night, etc).  Prices vary depending on the type of wine.  Or the beer mug package (buy a 20 oz refill of DCL beer mug for 16 oz price).  You can find both the wine and beer packages here:  https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/gifts-and-amenities/

3.  No PhotoPass on the ship.  Only a concessionaire - Shutters professional photography.

4.  Be aware it's possible that Castaway Cay could be missed, due to tides/weather.

9 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

4.  Be aware it's possible that Castaway Cay could be missed, due to tides/weather.

Not that it would break my heart but Hubby would be slightly disappointed because he is doing the Dopey Challenge and was looking forward to completing all of the race elements - but I would assume if the Stop was cancelled due to weather we would receive a refund of our registration fee...correct?

5 hours ago, jenniferop said:

Not that it would break my heart but Hubby would be slightly disappointed because he is doing the Dopey Challenge and was looking forward to completing all of the race elements - but I would assume if the Stop was cancelled due to weather we would receive a refund of our registration fee...correct?

I can't answer that.  I have no experience/knowledge of how the races work.  Although, I've read that in the past the "regular" CC 5K was run onboard the ship when it missed Castaway Cay.  Don't know if that would still be an official race, though.

On 2/9/2019 at 8:29 AM, GatorMomInNC said:

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but the CC 5k is free.   We missed CC last year and they did run it on the ship instead and I saw lots of people with their medals walking around afterwards.

Glad you answered this. I thought it was free, but not having run it, I couldn't be sure. 

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:29 AM, GatorMomInNC said:

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but the CC 5k is free.   We missed CC last year and they did run it on the ship instead and I saw lots of people with their medals walking around afterwards.

Wow - good to know, wonder why it is listed as $80pp on the Marathon link? I guess I'll email and find out the difference - I'll save my $160 for drinks then (found out no drink package)

2 hours ago, jenniferop said:

Wow - good to know, wonder why it is listed as $80pp on the Marathon link? I guess I'll email and find out the difference - I'll save my $160 for drinks then (found out no drink package)

The regular CC 5K race (actually not even really 5K) is free. Anyone can sign up for it.

During the race week, there's a specific race on CC that's part of the Marathon.  That has a cost.

When the Marathon is having it extra cost race, the "regular" 5K is still run, as far as I know, and it's still no charge.

2 hours ago, jenniferop said:

FYI - just called Disney #800 customer service and apparently the Castaway Cay race will be $80pp starting in 2020, even if booking while on the ship???

If they start charging $80  for the regular CC 5K, I believe they're going to lose a lot of participants.