Spanish Serenade

bdwest5

We are going on the Windstar cruise Spanish Serenade (Lisbon to Barcelona). We could use some suggestions for booking the shore excursions. It's hard to tell the difference between the moderate and strenuous ones. Thanks!

I haven't been on this itinerary, but I want to comment that the Windstar excursion descriptions tend to be very accurate. You need to read them carefully because they disclose a lot if you are paying attention. Usually "strenuous" refers to either total foot mileage or stair steps. You have to consider climate and month of the year when you visit southern Spain as well. Since places like Granada are not ports, you should also note "  xxx minute coach ride", or use Google Maps to estimate the time sitting on a bus.

We were on Treasures of Southern Spain and Morocco in September, 2018 which is somewhat similar to your cruise. You can look at my review here: https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=637112

This was the first in our back2back2back cruise and because we had 25 days on board, we only did a few of the tours offered through WS. Most of our ports were very small and very doable on your own. In fact, we did most of our ports on our own and enjoyed every minute.

I will recommend you to sign up for the Alhambra Tour as soon as possible if this is something you are interested in doing; it will sell out prior to your cruise. That being said, it ranks as strenuous and I would agree with that. There is SO much walking and you must be able to keep up with the tour guide because there is SO much to see. You can't lag behind so if you can't walk on stone, do steps, and keep pace this tour is not for you.

We loved this cruise!

Windstar "strenuous" is usually not all that strenuous. They tend to over rate the amount of effort required (perhaps because they don't want people to sign up for something and then find that it is too hard for them). It doesn't mean that it is mountain climbing. I agree with CruiseOrLand about reading the descriptions carefully - that will help with knowing about the rare times that "strenuous" really means strenuous. "Moderate" generally means that there are little if any stairs and walking is short distances and flat - very easy stuff. On our Alaska cruise, an excursion with a 1/2 mile nature walk (nearly flat wide trail with lots of stops for the guide to point out plants and tell us about them), was graded as "moderate to strenuous." Some people were dissatisfied that it was too easy - they had expected more of a real hike but the description did say it was a 1/2 mile nature walk - read the description.

I didn't find the Alhambra Tour to be strenuous (we booked a private guide, but the path through is pretty much the same for everyone). At the time, I was mid-60's and not incredibly fit though not disabled in any way.

One note about the description of the Windstar Alhambra Tour. It says: " An additional delight is the opportunity to experience a traditional Spanish-style lunch at Ruta Del Veleta restaurant." I took "opportunity" to mean that the lunch wasn't included, just that you would have time for it if you wanted. It actually is included.  

Because of the distance and length of this tour, I'd recommend taking the Windstar one. The Alhambra was a highlight of the cruise for us. We had to scramble with our private arrangements when our port stop in Almeria was cancelled due to weather and the ship stayed in Malaga an extra day instead.

I did the Spanish Serenade in 2017.  It was a great cruise.  We took the ship Alhambra Excursion.  It was strenuous.  Expect to be on your feet for a long time. Tour was excellent. The included lunch in Grenada was fabulous.  We also took the Picasso tour in Malaga.  I would not recommend it.  In Malaga, we docked in town.  Get off and walk.  Picasso museum is about 10 minute walk. Malaga is an easy walking town with lots to see.  We also docked in Seville, not Cadiz.  We walked into town and went to the Alcazar, Palace, and Church on our own.  It was easy.  Not worth taking a tour.  However, if the ship docks in Cadiz, you will be a 2 hour ride from Seville.  You will need transportation to Seville. 

I agree with Red about the Picasso tour. 

On our cruise (same sailing as Red), we docked in Seville. The captain told us that they were probably not going to continue Seville as a port because of the channel being reduced by silting. When I looked, the future itineraries we're using Cadiz instead.

In Malaga we got off the ship and just walked around on our own. I did want to see the Picasso Museum but by the time we wandered over in that direction the lines were so long! So if you do want to do it on your own, make sure you go over first thing to the museum. 

The lunch on the Alhambra ships tour was delightful!!