Train time after disembarking

pinkpanther52

Just as long as you can carry all  of your luggage off  (don't leave any luggage outside your stateroom the evening before)  If you are able to carry all of your luggage off the ship in one go, you'll need to make this known at the Pursers desk the afternoon before and they will give you  a 'self disembarkation card'.

Some time ago on this board I was contradicted about the 'self disembarkation card' . I was told it was not really  necessary,

however, my observations  on the last few  occasions when I've opted for self disembarkation , some folks have been turned back at the gangway and refused exit. Makes sense, otherwise we'd have anyone and everyone disembarking as and when , whether their luggage has been offloaded or or not.  😉

I did the self-disembarkation off the Queen Elizabeth in late December.  We docked before 7 and I was off shortly thereafter. There are taxis at the dock and it was a very short ride to the train station.  I think I caught the 8:25 a.m. - to Salisbury on a Friday. I just bought the ticket from the machine when I got to the train station.  There was only one teller and he was in a deep conversation with people having difficulties booking due to train works.  The machine was handy and quick.

I don't recall a self disembarkation card.....

Edited by mef_57
  • Like 1

Trains from Southampton Central go to2 London Stations both may involve a change of trains as its  a  Sunday Waterloo and Paddington are the London Stations trains from about 0950 cost £25 single tell the Taxi to drop you at the London side as its a walk up down a lot of steps if you are in the wrong side

51 minutes ago, zider said:

Trains from Southampton Central go to2 London Stations both may involve a change of trains as its  a  Sunday Waterloo and Paddington are the London Stations trains from about 0950 cost £25 single tell the Taxi to drop you at the London side as its a walk up down a lot of steps if you are in the wrong side

Having lived on this line for nearly thirty years, I've never come across trains to Paddington. There are ones from Soton to Victoria by a very roundabout route, but Waterloo is the place to aim at. Takes about an hour if there are no rail works.

17 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Having lived on this line for nearly thirty years, I've never come across trains to Paddington. There are ones from Soton to Victoria by a very roundabout route, but Waterloo is the place to aim at. Takes about an hour if there are no rail works.

You have to change a Reading

I’ve disembarked several times with luggage to collect in the hall. I am Diamond-and I suppose that’s important-but having collected my bags, gotten a cab  to Southampton Central, bought a ticket and with no rushing , I managed to get the 9:30 Fast train up to Waterloo. I think it how quickly you can get off is the key. 

I note your disembark day is on a Sunday
FYI-
Sadly on many weekends on the line to London are interrupted with engineering works which involve either a change of train or the route, or a replacement bus service (hopeless is you are off a cruise with luggage) and all these will make the journey very long.
You need to check with SWR if your day is affected and how...

You intend to self disembark so you should be OK to get off the ship before 8am - Taxis are usually plentiful outside

If the railways are messed up then the Cunard coaches from the ship to London and Gatwick/Heathrow are a great no hassle option...
I see you live in Edinburgh - You can fly to EDI from SOU (Flybe's future is in the balance still) and from LHR & LGW as you may know already.

Edited by rog747

If you want to go to Paddington station then one has to go by train from SOU to Westbury then change trains - it does work on weekdays - saves getting the tube or a taxi in London if you want the Paddington side of London 

Beware on Sundays it is slow and the line is often affected by works!

On 2/9/2019 at 11:02 AM, Host Hattie said:

This was the disembarkation schedule in March last year after a 7am arrival on Queen Victoria.

From memory we got off a little ahead of time.

IMG_20180328_112855.jpg

Hi Hattie,

By any chance do you know the rough prices for the transfer to St. Pancras station.

I am now starting to think a Cunard transfer would be simpler.

Also do you pick up your luggage and take it to the bus yourself - I am considering using The Baggage Handling Company for my larger suitcase so wondered if the combination would work.

Gosh I am sounding like a newbie but on all my other cruises I have just driven so not had to think about it 🙂

Thanks

4 hours ago, rog747 said:

If you want to go to Paddington station then one has to go by train from SOU to Westbury then change trains - it does work on weekdays - saves getting the tube or a taxi in London if you want the Paddington side of London 

Beware on Sundays it is slow and the line is often affected by works!

I doubt whether this route or the route rather more direct route via Reading would come within the definition of any reasonable route as stated on the ticket.

SWT try to avoid works in the summer, but are currently hideously prone to strikes at weekends.

1 hour ago, pinkpanther52 said:

Thank you everyone for all the helpful replies.

Jackie

The Cunard coaches are right outside - sorry I have not got the latest cost but around £60pp rings a bell 

you put your bags outside your cabin the night before with the labels on for the correct coach transfer - but I do believe you still have to claim your bags in your coloured number section in the baggage hall but porters will then take you and your bags to the waiting coaches outside - someone here will def know the booked coaches regime though...

Edited by rog747

So, with the schedule for disembarkation... Are you all saying that if you are willing to carry your own bags, you can leave when you want and not follow the schedule that Host Hattie shared here? Or is there a time slot for those who are willing to carry their own bags?
Thanks in advance for the advice 😊

37 minutes ago, naturelovergirl said:

So, with the schedule for disembarkation... Are you all saying that if you are willing to carry your own bags, you can leave when you want and not follow the schedule that Host Hattie shared here? Or is there a time slot for those who are willing to carry their own bags?
Thanks in advance for the advice 😊

If you register for self disembarkation, you can get off before any of the groups in the schedule, often about 07.30. Everyone else has to wait for their luggage to be unloaded. Self-disembarkers don't.

• Like 1