Jump to content
bones774

solo traveller to europe

Recommended Posts

Hi, 

I'm a solo traveler based out of NY. I'm looking to do a river cruise in Europe sometime this year, i'm retired and flex about time. I'd like to see Hungary, Germany and Prague on the cruise. I've read conflicting reports of solo cabins and rates being offered. Can anyone guide me to a company that does have solos and not large solos supplements. thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tauck has no solo supplement cabins in their lowest category:

http://www.tauck.com/solo.aspx

 

Avalon waives color supplements on certain sailings:

https://www.avalonwaterways.com/Specials/Solo-Traveler-Deal/

 

Amawaterways waived solo supplement on some 2018 sailings but haven't seen it for 2019.

 

Crystal had some 110-130% last year. They have redesigned their website and their website which listed solo rates no longer exists. Though you can price out their cruises on their website.

 

Edited by Coral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did the Avalon Magnificent Danube (Prague-Budapest) as a solo last May. They were having a deal where the solo fee was waived. I did not want the Lowest deck as I had my heart set on a Panoramic Suite. So, Yes, my price was higher for booking the 2nd floor~But then amazingly I got bumped from room 225 to 305 on the Illumination. Awesome!! I never felt alone as there were so many lovely people on board but I also loved having “me’ time after dinner if I didnt want to participate in the after dinner entertainment. I made many new friends with whom I still correspond, The tours were great and we still had time to see other things and in my case, to do a little shopping. The rooms, the meals, the talks were all excellent. On my own, I added post trip visits to Amsterdam, Paris, and Edinburgh. I want to go see more!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are two direct-sale (ie they do not sell through travel agents) companies that offer more to solos than most companies.

 

Vantage Travel actually has a few solo cabins that will hold only one person - generally priced at more than half of a double,  but considerably less than the often 200% charge levied on solos. Most low solo supplements are offered on cruises that are not selling well, but Vantage’s solo cabins are on every sailing. 

 

Grand Circle Cruise Line usually offers a match service. You pay the normal half of double price and agree to accept a roommate of your same gender. That is the price you pay even if they do not find a roommate for you. Obviously some roommates work out better than others, but river cruises generally have self-selected to people of reasonably similar interests.

 

Disclosure: I have sailed with both companies, but not as a single.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TravelerThom said:

There are two direct-sale (ie they do not sell through travel agents) companies that offer more to solos than most companies.

 

Vantage Travel actually has a few solo cabins that will hold only one person - generally priced at more than half of a double,  but considerably less than the often 200% charge levied on solos. Most low solo supplements are offered on cruises that are not selling well, but Vantage’s solo cabins are on every sailing. 

 

Grand Circle Cruise Line usually offers a match service. You pay the normal half of double price and agree to accept a roommate of your same gender. That is the price you pay even if they do not find a roommate for you. Obviously some roommates work out better than others, but river cruises generally have self-selected to people of reasonably similar interests.

Good to know - the prices for solo supplements are double on the lines that I have checked (Viking, Gate 1, AMA).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Good to know - the prices for solo supplements are double on the lines that I have checked (Viking, Gate 1, AMA).

I'm not denying what you were told about AMA, but in my experience they will generally waive single supplement on a few of the cheapest cabins, and the supplement was only (!) 50% before they waived it. That usually requires you to book very early, because there are only a few of the cheapest cabins. AMA also has a few single cabins on higher decks on some ships; see for example AmaLyra 221 and 223. Otherwise, it helps to be more flexible with your dates; a sailing that is sure to sell out will not get you single supplement waived, but shoulder season is more likely.

 

If you haven't already done so, get yourself on everyone's email lists. They regularly have offers, some of which waive or lower single supplements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TravelerThom said:

 

 

Grand Circle Cruise Line usually offers a match service. You pay the normal half of double price and agree to accept a roommate of your same gender. That is the price you pay even if they do not find a roommate for you. Obviously some roommates work out better than others, but river cruises generally have self-selected to people of reasonably similar interests.

 

Most solos I know are not interested in being matched. I have heard really bad stories about this. This is probably why many "cruise lines" have discontinued the practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have traveled on 12 grand circle river cruises, all as a solo.  Their supplement is a flat fee, usually about 15%.

 

The lines that tout single cabins are fooling you.  A double on vantage is $700 less per person than a single pays for the cabin next door .... thus a $700 supplement.

 

My new preference is Tauck.  As noted above, no supplement on lowest deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rogerdawhip said:

I have traveled on 12 grand circle river cruises, all as a solo.  Their supplement is a flat fee, usually about 15%.

 

The lines that tout single cabins are fooling you.  A double on vantage is $700 less per person than a single pays for the cabin next door .... thus a $700 supplement.

 

My new preference is Tauck.  As noted above, no supplement on lowest deck.

You didn't say much about GCT but you did it 12x so I guess you are happy.

I was wondering about the supplement charges also and if it was just a sales gimmick.

I also just looked into Tauck. I know they are a premium $$$ line and the rates are high but do you think they are legitimately going with no solo supplement? thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I did Crystal - the single supplement was 125% thought the 25% was off the original price and not the current price. 

 

Now after saying that, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed a premium line. I did not spend one cent on the ship. I do not drink and did not feel like I paid more for others to drink. I felt what they offered was top of the line. Food, service, shore excursions (we had more options than my friends who have done the same ports on other lines). 

 

I have only done 2 river cruises, so not an expert. Though I do want to stick with Crystal in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grand Circles single supplements are not sales gimmicks.  They have been a flat rate for years.  On their Great Rivers trip the SS is currently $745 whether your pay $3800 or $5500 for their cruises. 

 

I didn't say much about Grand Circle in my prior post but I have enjoyed every cruise with them. My first trip was in 2001 and I have another booked for next September. Their ships are older and have Murphy beds in the cabins.  Many people are put off by this but everyone looks for something different in a river cruise. 

 

I also have a Tauck trip booked for July.  I am paying no SS for a category 1 cabin.  Saying this, it is still about $600 more than a similar Grand Circle trip with a supplement. 

Edited by rogerdawhip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have an upcoming trip booked with Avalon and we have one cabin for 2 and the other for a single. Both Panorama suites. When we were researching, most of the companies that were offering solo deals seamed to be offering those deals on the lowest deck which we didn't want.

 

We booked The Legendary Danube with Avalon and the single paid $629 more than the per person cost of the double room. That trip includes 2 nights hotel in Prague and the $629 included $329 for the hotel portion so the actual extra for the cruise portion was $300. Not bad in my opinion.

 

Avalon's single offer is not on all sailings and they offer aa maximum of 5 on any one ship. I believe it's still in effect until later in February and may be extended of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rogerdawhip said:

Grand Circles single supplements are not sales gimmicks.  They have been a flat rate for years.  On their Great Rivers trip the SS is currently $745 whether your pay $3800 or $5500 for their cruises. 

 

I didn't say much about Grand Circle in my prior post but I have enjoyed every cruise with them. My first trip was in 2001 and I have another booked for next September. Their ships are older and have Murphy beds in the cabins.  Many people are put off by this but everyone looks for something different in a river cruise. 

 

I also have a Tauck trip booked for July.  I am paying no SS for a category 1 cabin.  Saying this, it is still about $600 more than a similar Grand Circle trip with a supplement. 

$600 more for Tauck does not seem excessive at all, sounds like a good deal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sailed with AMA back in 2016 and the Supplement was waived on all the deck E cabins. If I am not mistaken, those cabins are usually always without any single supplement.  I could be wrong, but every time I have done research with AMA, those E cabins have always had no SS on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have taken 4 river cruises with Grand Circle as a solo with 3 times being matched up with somebody and the fourth time the other person had passed away before the trip so I got the cabin to myself with no extra charge  I never had any problems with sharing a cabin but then maybe i was just lucky.  I enjoyed all the trips with them but then that was about 10 years ago and I understand that river cruising has become much more crowded now.  I had a trip planned with then last fall but it was cancelled because of the low water problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, Roger, only $600 more for Tauck?  I’m taking my 7th river cruise this year, 5 with GCT, two with Uniworld...will look at Tauck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect that 2019 will see a lot of deals for single passengers, after the low-water issues of 2018.  [Unless all the people who were able to postpone use up all the cabins.]  I'm already getting lots of emails about free air offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I suspect that 2019 will see a lot of deals for single passengers, after the low-water issues of 2018.  [Unless all the people who were able to postpone use up all the cabins.]  I'm already getting lots of emails about free air offers.

 

Hi Jazz:classic_smile:……that would be nice. I am thinking about going on one in November but have not started to do my research yet.

I have 200.00 that Uniworld is holding. I am trying to decide if I should use it this year or next.:classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I suspect that 2019 will see a lot of deals for single passengers, after the low-water issues of 2018.  [Unless all the people who were able to postpone use up all the cabins.]  I'm already getting lots of emails about free air offers.

 

I noticed that Uniworld is extending its 30% offer for advance bookings that normally ends December 31 each year.  I agree that the water issues in 2018 have probably made some people reluctant to book.

 

Roz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with Daniel Skjeldam, CEO Hurtigruten
      • Win a 7-Night Romantic Danube Luxury River Cruise with AmaWaterways
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×