Best Head Waiter

lenquixote66

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

The best Head Waiter I ever encountered was Garth on Grandeur of the seas. Very attentive to everyones needs.Extremely friendly ,a very nice person.

There are terrific crew members on most ships but I have to say some of the nicest crew members we've enjoyed were on Grandeur.  

Good for the OP. 

In about 50 cruises, I couldn't remember the name of anyone, MDR or cabin staff, who assisted me.  After I mentioned them in post cruise surveys, that was it.  Sure, some were great, some were not so great, and the majority were perfunctory, but they all fade into an amorphous memory blob as time goes by.  Obviously, I'm not one to take pictures with the staff, attempt to stay in touch after a cruise, or look forward to meeting again on a future cruise.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The best Head Waiter I ever encountered was Garth on Grandeur of the seas. Very attentive to everyones needs.Extremely friendly ,a very nice person.

You mean Maitre'D?  On many cruise lines, the head waiter is the lead waiter on the wait team not the person in the tux in charge of it all.

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

You mean Maitre'D?  On many cruise lines, the head waiter is the lead waiter on the wait team not the person in the tux in charge of it all.

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

On his ID it read Garth,Head Waiter

3 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

You mean Maitre'D?  On many cruise lines, the head waiter is the lead waiter on the wait team not the person in the tux in charge of it 

The best head waiter we ever had was Tem Tem from the Philippines on the Mariner of the Seas. That was in 2013 and we are still facebook friends and have kept in contact. Im not sure exactly which ship he's on now, my wife asked but I cant remember.   

Best Headwaiter we ever had was on Regal Princess in 2017.  His name started with a B (Boghdan?) and was from Eastern Europe, but I don't remember which country.  He was lead at our Winemaker's table and did a very good job of engaging the group, explaining the meal and the wines, quietly directing his team, and backing off to allow the group to interact with each other.

For me it was a waiter on Celebrity Mercury years ago. The service was very traditional. A table of of eight and he did not use a notepad, AND, he did not look at you when you ordered. Our first night we thought, 'what a jerk'. But man was he good and we quickly loved him!

On 2/10/2019 at 6:22 PM, lenquixote66 said:

On his ID it read Garth,Head Waiter

What do you mean by head waiter? Did Garth wait tables or did he assign you to a table or did he supervise those who did?

I am with evanbob on this one, I do not remember waiters after the cruise.

I never had a good supervisor of waitstaff. In the old days I dreaded the awkward visits from head waiters. Nightly questions about our day with our children were creepy. They did nothing useful, never saw them help a waiter, but an envelope on the last night was always expected.

We have no special dietary needs. These days on Holland America I have no dealings with head waiters, although I see them being useful around the dining room.