Your First Princess Cruise

MsSoCalCruiser

Hi MsSoCalCruiser

Actually it was the first time on a cruise ship......

Have done the overnight ferry across bass strait Spirit of Tasmania it is about 630 feet long and 29000 tons

( between Tasmania and the mainland Australia )

We have done 14 over night return trips it is generally pretty rough as they generally push on a 27knots regardless of conditions to keep to schedule.

Cheers Don

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Hi MsSoCalCruiser

Actually it was the first time on a cruise ship......

Have done the overnight ferry across bass strait Spirit of Tasmania it is about 630 feet long and 29000 tons

( between Tasmania and the mainland Australia )

We have done 14 over night return trips it is generally pretty rough as they generally push on a 27knots regardless of conditions to keep to schedule.

Cheers Don

Don, I’m not sure I could handle that...

10 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I am so afraid of booking a forward cabin. Sometimes even the motion in the theater bothers me. Did you have any problems with that? 

Nope. Actually I get car sick on winding roads if I'm not the driver. I couldn't even set foot on a ship without my patch. I use the TransdermScop patch. You may have seen passengers with a little round band aid looking thing behind their ear. That's the patch. Without it I would never be able to sail. With it we have gone through crazy weather where the ship was rocking and rolling, the outer decks were all closed off, and many of the "iron stomach" folks went to their cabins to lie down. I love my patch. I may look like a dork with the thing behind my ear but I never get even slightly queasy onboard. (A tender ride would be a barf fest without my patch.)

• Like 1

Mi first Princess cruise was in December 2014 nn Pacific Princess -Tahiti Cruise.

What an experience it was. My first ever small ship experience with top notch service. Beautiful itinerary and ports. Sadly Princess no longer does this 10 Day Tahiti run and it was definitely one of most memorable experiences. Even the flight from LAX to PPT on the Taihtian designed airline... what an experience.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

Nope. Actually I get car sick on winding roads if I'm not the driver. I couldn't even set foot on a ship without my patch. I use the TransdermScop patch. You may have seen passengers with a little round band aid looking thing behind their ear. That's the patch. Without it I would never be able to sail. With it we have gone through crazy weather where the ship was rocking and rolling, the outer decks were all closed off, and many of the "iron stomach" folks went to their cabins to lie down. I love my patch. I may look like a dork with the thing behind my ear but I never get even slightly queasy onboard. (A tender ride would be a barf fest without my patch.)

Thank you for sharing that with me.  Do you have any side effects from the patch? I am normally OK but there has been two times that I wasn’t. I often wonder if I should get a prescription for the patch to carry just in case. 

10 hours ago, Georgie562 said:

Mi first Princess cruise was in December 2014 nn Pacific Princess -Tahiti Cruise.

What an experience it was. My first ever small ship experience with top notch service. Beautiful itinerary and ports. Sadly Princess no longer does this 10 Day Tahiti run and it was definitely one of most memorable experiences. Even the flight from LAX to PPT on the Taihtian designed airline... what an experience.

Sounds wonderful!

Just now, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you for sharing that with me.  Do you have any side effects from the patch? I am normally OK but there has been two times that I wasn’t. I often wonder if I should get a prescription for the patch to carry just in case. 

Some folks don't like the patch. They get dry mouth or other symptoms. I'm not small. A small person would, naturally, feel more side effects. The patch doesn't bother me at all. You would need to discuss it with your doctor as it's a prescription item - unless you are in Canada. In Canada you just ask for it. In Canada I got it over the counter by asking but got one patch in a box. At home I get it as a prescription but get 3 patches in a box. I have insurance so the price is no higher at home. Again, speak with your physician regarding the patch - I can't give medical advice. For me, it's the only reason I can cruise and I have no problems with it at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

Some folks don't like the patch. They get dry mouth or other symptoms. I'm not small. A small person would, naturally, feel more side effects. The patch doesn't bother me at all. You would need to discuss it with your doctor as it's a prescription item - unless you are in Canada. In Canada you just ask for it. In Canada I got it over the counter by asking but got one patch in a box. At home I get it as a prescription but get 3 patches in a box. I have insurance so the price is no higher at home. Again, speak with your physician regarding the patch - I can't give medical advice. For me, it's the only reason I can cruise and I have no problems with it at all.

Thank you. I think at my next physical I’ll talk to my doctor and see what she thinks. I am on the smaller side (at times, LOL). 

Grand Princess in 2003. Memorable day. We met another couple on the flight to Ft. Lauderdale. They had luggage tags for the NCL Norway. They were going to be bused to Miami and were very excited about the cruise. Unfortunately, that was the day of the deadly boiler explosion aboard the SS Norway and the ship never carried another passenger. We heard about the tragedy after boarding the Grand. Experienced my first water spout shortly after sail away. I sailed on the Grand again in 2012.   

waterspout.jpg

Edited by john_galt
add pic

14 hours ago, john_galt said:

Grand Princess in 2003. Memorable day. We met another couple on the flight to Ft. Lauderdale. They had luggage tags for the NCL Norway. They were going to be bused to Miami and were very excited about the cruise. Unfortunately, that was the day of the deadly boiler explosion aboard the SS Norway and the ship never carried another passenger. We heard about the tragedy after boarding the Grand. Experienced my first water spout shortly after sail away. I sailed on the Grand again in 2012.   

waterspout.jpg

So sad 😢

5 minutes ago, CruzerDeb said:

My first Princess cruise is still pending!  Ruby Princess, 6/22/19 to Alaska!

You just can't go wrong with an Alaska cruise, and the Ruby Princess is a fine ship..

Bon Voyage,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I’ve never sailed the island princess. What did they do to the ship? 

They basically added 121 cabins at the expense of open space.  The look of the ship is no longer (in my opinion) attractive.  Find pictures of Coral Princess, (which they thankfully decided not to butcher) and current pictures of Island Princess.  You will see the obvious differences. 

Here's a little information.  There are several thread on Cruise Critic that show most people's displeasure.. https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=279&pgtype=cabins

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kenswing said:

They basically added 121 cabins at the expense of open space.  The look of the ship is no longer (in my opinion) attractive.  Find pictures of Coral Princess, (which they thankfully decided not to butcher) and current pictures of Island Princess.  You will see the obvious differences. 

Here's a little information.  There are several thread on Cruise Critic that show most people's displeasure.. https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=279&pgtype=cabins

Thank you for the link. 

36 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you for the link. 

These links show the Island before & after the changes and the Coral is still the before & why I enjoy it much more.

Post 119:   https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2046655-what-will-island-princess-look-like-after-may-2015/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-44175560

Post 133:   https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2046655-what-will-island-princess-look-like-after-may-2015/?page=6&tab=comments#comment-44184567

Another option for motion sickness is OTC generic Bonine...meclizine.  My wife gets all types of motion sickness (as a kid she got it on swingset) & with meclizine has enjoyed about 50 cruises in all types of conditions.  Just another option that you could explore...the patch is by prescription & it gave her side affects which has never happened with meclizine.