Yarn

TMLAalum

We'll be in Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Peru & Ecuador on our upcoming B2B cruises.  As a knitter, I love to purchase yarn made in at least one of the oountries per trip that we visit. Making a scarf or shawl when we return home is a great souvenir. Has anyone done this? If you have, do you recall the store where you shopped?  Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi, TMLAalum - No personal experience to relay, but did want to pass along this Live From where scrapnana has been posting about her South America HAL sailing. She did pick up supplies in Peru and Chile as far as I can tell (Lima and Punta Arenas for sure, maybe Arequipa and San Antonio/Santiago) - perhaps she might be able to provide some advice over there in addition to any other Cruise Critic posters here. I've linked her thread (no pun intended) below. Good luck and happy cruising!

Edited by Crewbie

Not sure if you would get a reply, many businesses here don't respond to emails - but it might be worth contacting Manos de Uruguay ahead of time to see if they actually have what you might be interested in when you are in port. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a ton of yarn in Chile, mostly very rough local wool.  

If you stop in Puerto Montt, go to the Angelmo Market, and on the streets on the way to the fish market.  They also had some alpaca, which is not local, but was cheap.

In general, in my 2 months in Peru, Chile, and Argentina I find the tourist markets have the rough wool, the local yarn shops sell acrylic from China because the locals want cheap and durable for their knitting.  Chile has tons of wool, but for blending they ship it to Argentina and the price goes up for blends.  I learned to search for patterns using handspun materials and also ask and look to see what the locals are making with it.  Usually they are sitting there knitting so you can ask questions, though I doubt they speak English.  Chatting with them and telling them I knitting, they were very helpful in advising needle size, weight, etc.  

IMG_20190223_141147.jpg

IMG_20190224_121747.jpg

IMG_20190211_110351.jpg

IMG_20190224_120319.jpg

IMG_20190219_164055.jpg

IMG_20190216_145504~2.jpg

I just bought a ton of yarn in Chile, mostly very rough local wool.  

If you stop in Puerto Montt, go to the Angelmo Market, and on the streets on the way to the fish market.  They also had some alpaca, which is not local, but was cheap.

In general, in my 2 months in Peru, Chile, and Argentina I find the tourist markets have the rough wool, the local yarn shops sell acrylic from China because the locals want cheap and durable for their knitting.  Chile has tons of wool, but for blending they ship it to Argentina and the price goes up for blends.  I learned to search for patterns using handspun materials and also ask and look to see what the locals are making with it.  Usually they are sitting there knitting so you can ask questions, though I doubt they speak English.  Chatting with them and telling them I knitting, they were very helpful in advising needle size, weight, etc.