Anchor ports Tahiti

Newleno

Thinking of booking Windstar because of the water sports platform.  Does anyone know what stops Anchor vs use a dock?   I think you can only use the platform if they Anchor/Tender.  thanks.  Of course I am only interested in the french Polynesia cruises. 

13 minutes ago, milepig said:

This. And all are “dry” landings, meaning no zodiacs. 

Dry?  my understanding is that if the windstar is at dock and not on anchor/tender then the sports platform is not open, so for me the Tahiti cruise  would be one of the few cruises where I hope we tender all the time, so are you saying the exact opposite than   nkcbkc

5 hours ago, nkcbkc said:

all ports are on anchor except for when in Papetee  Sports platform usually open at all stops I believe,  

This. And all are “dry” landings, meaning no zodiacs. 

4 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Dry?  my understanding is that if the windstar is at dock and not on anchor/tender then the sports platform is not open, so for me the Tahiti cruise  would be one of the few cruises where I hope we tender all the time, so are you saying the exact opposite than   nkcbkc

Dock = the ships docks 

Dry= they tender you into port 

Vodiac = they pull up to shore and you wade in. 

Unless there’s some reason like bad weather the sports platform will be open in each port and the ship will be at anchor. 

Edited by milepig
  • Like 1

I was just on the 17 day in Nov/Dec and the only ports the sports platform was not available was Papeete, Raiatea and Tahaa/Motu Mahaea (because almost everything but tubing is available on Motu Mahaea). Others may have had a different experience on Motu Mahaea.

But really going to FP you might think about doing some snorkeling aside from the sports platform. At the minimum, do it in Bora Bora. Tohora Bora Bora- perfection for 4.5 hrs only $100USD pp. You can do a short tour in the morning at any stop, have lunch, and go back to the platform afterwards till 3pm. So much to see there- and you don't want to miss a thing after that long flight and so much invested.

Edited by Petoonya