Touring NYC after cruise

Jennv77

Taking a 4 day cruise out of NYC with my cousin, we are driving in.   She has never been to NYC, so I thought it might be fun to bring her to Times Square for a little after getting off the ship.  What would be the best way to do this, where to park??

8 hours ago, Jennv77 said:

Taking a 4 day cruise out of NYC with my cousin, we are driving in.   She has never been to NYC, so I thought it might be fun to bring her to Times Square for a little after getting off the ship.  What would be the best way to do this, where to park??

By NYC I assume you mean Manhattan and not Brooklyn.You can park in an underground garage in the Times Square area.

Are you parking at the pier in Manhattan.  If so, you can probably get off the boat, load your car and go over to Times Square.  I would think about a taxi as it is at least a 20 minute walk.  Alternatively, you can take your car over to Times Square for some expensive parking.  Once you park near Times Square you can also see Rockefeller Center.

Lock your luggage in your vehicle, hold onto any valuables in a day pack.

Is this on a weekday, Saturday or Sunday, parking rates in NYC - Manhattan are crazy high, as much as $60 to $75 a day w. taxes (highest for SUV, minivan, oversized/height/weight/length vehicles)

Where are you parking while on the cruise ?  NY Waterway's ferry pier at Port Imperial has reasonable & better parking, an option for leaving your vehicle there - take the ferry across the Hudson to do your 4 days at sea ... don't need to overpack, a 22" rollerboard or spinner should do, leave the kitchen sink at home.  Schwartz Luggage is another option if you go this route, store your bags nearby, they are now 24/7 - on W. 38th Street between 7th & 8th Ave.  Explore nearby Times Square & then retrieve your bag, take the ferry back to Edgewater/Weehawken side, drive home. 

Otherwise, look for a garage with Early Bird parking rates, weekdays & weekends, generally in by 10 or maybe 9 a.m. at the latest, park all day for a flat rate - out by 7 p.m. is the "norm" - just need to plan ahead, do the express self walk-off the ship, assuming an early arrival & quick disembarkation.  Should be a # of commercial/private facilities near 10th or 11th Avenue, within blocks of MCT - Google is your friend to search. 

15 minutes ago, iria64 said:

If you look online many parking garages have coupons that you can print out to save some money.

The company that owns the cruise port parking garage used to have a 25 percent off rate during certain months.I do not know if they still do but you can check that out.

The NYC Tourist Info office may have reduced parking coupons.

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The company that owns the cruise port parking garage used to have a 25 percent off rate during certain months.I do not know if they still do but you can check that out.

The NYC Tourist Info office may have reduced parking coupons.

Coupon long gone, there are no coupons to park at the pier.

The last valid, honored MCT parking coupon was discontinued and not accepted since the summer of 2017 - and it was always exclusive to the Norwegian Gem only, never for the NCL Breakaway (or its replacement, the Escape) - nor Carnival or other ships docked at Manhattan piers.  

Subsequently, others had emailed, called, asked upon checking in and informed as such - we sailed the Gem in the Spring of 2018 and not luck or success from anyone on "our" Roll Call.  The parking fees remained unchanged at $40 per day and it isn't cheap, but for the convenience, ease of access & exiting, and security behind locked fencing - a fair deal to some. 

7 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

The last valid, honored MCT parking coupon was discontinued and not accepted since the summer of 2017 - and it was always exclusive to the Norwegian Gem only, never for the NCL Breakaway (or its replacement, the Escape) - nor Carnival or other ships docked at Manhattan piers.  

Subsequently, others had emailed, called, asked upon checking in and informed as such - we sailed the Gem in the Spring of 2018 and not luck or success from anyone on "our" Roll Call.  The parking fees remained unchanged at $40 per day and it isn't cheap, but for the convenience, ease of access & exiting, and security behind locked fencing - a fair deal to some. 

We never drive to the Manhattan cruise port.It is cheaper to take a car service and be picked up after the cruise.It is not just the cost of parking but also dealing with Manhattan traffic.When we lived in NYC we took public transportation.

11 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We never drive to the Manhattan cruise port.It is cheaper to take a car service and be picked up after the cruise.It is not just the cost of parking but also dealing with Manhattan traffic.When we lived in NYC we took public transportation.

We’ve driven to the pier and parked, and taken car service (family of 7), and costs were almost identical (10 miles from the pier). We actually prefer to drive. I don’t mind driving in manhattan, especially on weekend mornings, with light traffic. The one time we used car service, our disembarkment was delayed, and I had to keep calling the car service while stuck in line on an outside deck (one of those Sundays with only a few customs agents). Too stressful.