Dress code

Ja21

Hi everyone, we are going on a cruise to Iceland and the Faroe Islands in July, weather is estimated to be around 14 degrees in the daytime and daytime activities likely to be a lot of hiking, exploring etc, requiring practical outdoor clothes, but what about the evenings?? Will the dress code be more casual (our preference) or dressed up? Advice most appreciated!

Hi thanks, I did check the faq but it seemed to be quite general to all destinations, i can understand dressing up for Europe or Caribbean but for Northern Europe outdoorsy destinations it seems a bit daft and unnecessary to me but then again we don’t want to turn up in jeans and everyone else is dressed like the dogs dinner!

We have travelled to Iceland with CMV and their dress code was the same as for other voyages that we had been on with the same company. Formal nights were well observed. Haven't used them for 6 years so unsure of current requirements. 

When discussing formal night it is important to ask the right question which is "Are people denied access to the MDR if the formal night recommendations are not followed?"  It is also helpful to read the company website very carefully.  The words "suggested" or "guide" are indications the line does not strictly enforce a dress code on formal night. 

It has been my experience on this site that people who adore formal night and despair at the loss of cruise "traditions" may imply the standards are higher than they actually are.  

3 hours ago, K32682 said:

When discussing formal night it is important to ask the right question which is "Are people denied access to the MDR if the formal night recommendations are not followed?"  It is also helpful to read the company website very carefully.  The words "suggested" or "guide" are indications the line does not strictly enforce a dress code on formal night. 

It has been my experience on this site that people who adore formal night and despair at the loss of cruise "traditions" may imply the standards are higher than they actually are.  

I think people on either side of the debate see what they want to see....

I answered a couple of questions on this board by asking my wife, she does not do Cruise Critic and has no feelings either way relative to the dress codes.  I asked her to give me her percentages as she saw them.

Edited by dkjretired

2 hours ago, swaddy said:

All that I meant by my post was that the dress code is the same whatever the destination, it does not change by temperature.  

You are absolutely correct, never heard of a cruise line that changed dress codes depending on destination.   

We haven't been on C&M yet- looking at this summer- but I think it will be similar to Fred Olsen, Marella and P&O in that there is always somewhere other than the formal dining room where you can eat- we don't always go formal, but eat in the buffet or speciality restaurants.