Nieuw Statendam

richwmn

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Music Walk / Entertainment Revisited.

First up this evening was LIncoln Center Stage.

As I said before, the ladies are very accomplished musicians and they didn't disappoint. I stayed around for 4, maybe 5 songs which is pretty good for me. The set was titled "All American" and the selection was excellent. I also enjoyed the little bit of discussion that was included about the music.

Rolling Stone Rock Room.

They started out the set tonight with "Take It Easy", which they played yesterday. Again a good version. The next two songs I didn't feel they did justice to, but both were songs I really like the originals of. Walking by later they were back to acceptable if not good so overall a nice addition.

B.B. King.

I have been impressed with the B.B. King group on other ships that have had it. This group did well, and played to a large audience. Since they started before the 8pm main stage show ended there were a bunch of people that stopped after that show ended. Again, very good musicians and a good choice of songs.

Billboard.

I guess I am a bit resistant to the "Dueling Pianos" concept, as I really like the Piano Bars on the smaller ships. I did listen for a bit and they are talented. I'll have to give them a bit more of a try.

The Main Stage Entertainment -  The Comedy of Brian Bradley.

The World Stage was already pretty full when I got there. I stood near the back and listened to the first few minutes. I am told I didn't give him enough time and that he is really funny, so I'll head back to the Stage now and try again.

In case I didn't mention it before, the movie at 7pm & 9:30pm on the big screen was Widows.

Really enjoying your posts. Thanks so much for doing this.  We are sailing on this ship on March 10.  We have cabin 1183.  I'm a light sleeper so I am hoping it's in a quiet location!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

I hope you enjoyed Brian Bradley's show.  He's a friend of mine, and told me he was boarding in February - I was sorry he wasn't on the ship during my cruise.  

Having seen this, and talking to someone who saw the first show, I did go to the second. He does, IMO, start out a bit slow but does pick up steam and puts on a pretty good show. Even the late show was almost full and since he works the audience he had a lot to choose from.

It was a nice ending to this evening!

We missed the show.  I fell asleep on the love seat while DM tried to watch Widows on our tv.  She didn't like it and turned it off.

We have yet to receive a breakfast room service hang tag on this cruise.  On the interactive tv, it gives the various room service menus and advises one to call room service.  Is this a change on ships with this tv system?

Our cabin is smaller than we're  used to but is still functional. The bathroom is smaller than other ships and significantly smaller than that of the Prinsendam.  There is a clothesline.  It does not go straight across the shower stall, it is angled.  The part one hooks the knobby into is on the long wall perpendicular to the wall with the shower head.

For those with motion sickness issues, I wanted to note that the head of the beds, in our room, is towards the bow so one is NOT facing the bow when laying down.  I don't know if this is true for all of the rooms.

Wanted to add that the jigsaw puzzle area on this ship sucks!  It's up in the Crow's Nest, in between EXC  and the bar area.  The lighting is terrible in the late afternoon/evening.  I didn't think the puzzle lighting could get any worse than other ships I've been on but I was wrong! i won't be spending very much time up there on this cruise.

As for the Crow's Nest/EXC combination, it's okay.  One can walk around those two screens right in the front of the windows, kind of like a bay window area.  DM was appalled at the "library".  

• Like 1

Greetings! Some quick updates. We appear to be at the industrial pier, so nothing just off the ship. I doubt that I will leave the ship since I have been here several times.

Menus, Menus, Menus -

I don't know how many I can attach, but here are all the posted menus as of today.

Canaleto_dinner.pdf

DiveIn-lunch.pdf

Dutch-dinner.pdf

Feb13Dinner.pdf

Nami-dinner.pdf

NYDeli-dinner.pdf

Orange-dinner.pdf

Pinnacle_dinner.pdf

Sel_de_Mar_dinner.pdf

Tamarind-dinner.pdf

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I really appreciate all the info, Rich and AQ!  Can't wait for our turn in September 🙂  

AQ have you asked your cabin steward about the room service hang tags?  I wouldn't like having to call in my order, it seems like there would be more chances of mistakes.  

7 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Wanted to add that the jigsaw puzzle area on this ship sucks!  It's up in the Crow's Nest, in between EXC  and the bar area.  The lighting is terrible in the late afternoon/evening.  I didn't think the puzzle lighting could get any worse than other ships I've been on but I was wrong! i won't be spending very much time up there on this cruise.

As for the Crow's Nest/EXC combination, it's okay.  One can walk around those two screens right in the front of the windows, kind of like a bay window area.  DM was appalled at the "library".  

My room steward offered me a breakfast hang tag. I don't do room service breakfast so I didn't take it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bretty said:

Great thread, thanks for posting. Sadly the list of menus you posted are dead links.

Happy cruising

I just tried about half of them, and each worked. They are pdf files and you may have your browser set to automatically save them. Other than that, I don't know. I also sent them to HALfacts so you might find them there shortly.

I just tried about half of them, and each worked. They are pdf files and you may have your browser set to automatically save them. Other than that, I don't know. I also sent them to HALfacts so you might find them there shortly.

Thanks I’ve sorted it out. For some reason the door message I get offers me a login option (although I’m already logged in), and when I login again I can view the files.

Thanks again for posting these.

10 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

We have yet to receive a breakfast room service hang tag on this cruise.  On the interactive tv, it gives the various room service menus and advises one to call room service.  Is this a change on ships with this tv system?

Take a look under the right flap of the large grey cardboard that your steward puts on your bed in the evening. It's usually hiding there. 

Hope you are enjoying the ship--she's a beauty!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

It was just too loud and the one night we sat over in Billboard to listen to them none of the songs were familiar - and we're in the right

That was my opinion as well.  Loud and only once did they play a song that I recognized.  (I am not in that age demographic, so I have been told.  But, I do enjoy the music of the '50's. '60's, '70's, and '80's.  Really, I enjoy what I enjoy and I don't care when the music was "in".)

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I really appreciate all the info, Rich and AQ!  Can't wait for our turn in September 🙂  

AQ have you asked your cabin steward about the room service hang tags?  I wouldn't like having to call in my order, it seems like there would be more chances of mistakes.  

No we haven’t. Honestly it’s not a big deal for us. It was just something I noticed. In speaking with others, it seems that we may be experiencing a glitch. 

2 hours ago, Cailey53 said:

Take a look under the right flap of the large grey cardboard that your steward puts on your bed in the evening. It's usually hiding there. 

Hope you are enjoying the ship--she's a beauty!

Haven’t looked there yet. Will do so tonight. Thank you. 

I just left LCS. They did their movie set this evening. I missed the first part due to conflict with trivia, but caught the last 3 songs. All were excellent. As far as the crowd, at least on deck 2 pretty much all the seats were taken and several people were standing.

The current group leaves Nieuw Statendam on Sunday.

Couple of notes from tonight's entertainment.

I mentioned Lincoln Center Stage about, but will repeat that they are very good.

Rolling Stone Rock Room

The crowd might have been a little smaller, but I was looking later in the evening than other days. They sounded good again and played a selection of songs that was pleasing.

Billboard On Board

I don't know if it was just the song selection, or that they are getting more comfortable but the piano players sounded better tonight. They started immediately when RSRR finished and played until RSRR was ready to start again. One nice thing was that you could keep your seat in either area and hear both groups.

Someone asked me about a wine happy hour, but it may have been on another thread. Here is the information. Each evening a 9pm Blend has a wine Happy Hour. It is for Chateau Ste. Michelle Wines and is buy one, get one free. The wines range in price from the mid $8.00 range to $17 per glass.

Main Stage.

Tonight is a magician. I arrived a few minutes late and he was doing some tricks with a Rubic's Cube. Kinda cute, but ok. He then went into a long setup with a couple from the audience. He lost me there. I will check with people around to see what they thought.

The poolside movie tonight is Crazy Robin Hood. The schedule doesn't list any stars so I don't know which of the many versions of the Robin Hood story they are showing.

After LCS finished playing, that area hosted a game of Majority Rules. It had a  better crowd than I would have thought.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, richwmn said:

Greetings! Some quick updates. We appear to be at the industrial pier, so nothing just off the ship. I doubt that I will leave the ship since I have been here several times.

Menus, Menus, Menus -

I don't know how many I can attach, but here are all the posted menus as of today.

Canaleto_dinner.pdf

DiveIn-lunch.pdf

Dutch-dinner.pdf

Feb13Dinner.pdf

Nami-dinner.pdf

NYDeli-dinner.pdf

Orange-dinner.pdf

Pinnacle_dinner.pdf

Sel_de_Mar_dinner.pdf

Tamarind-dinner.pdf

Thanks so much for this! We will be on Nieuw Statendam April 7th and this is very helpful.

9 hours ago, Bretty said:

Great thread, thanks for posting. Sadly the list of menus you posted are dead links.

Happy cruising

The links all worked for me but as someone else said they are pdf downloads so maybe you have that blocked?