Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
tyrannosaur

Nynashamn round trip to Stockholm: DIY or ship transfer?

Recommended Posts

Traveling in Norwegian Getaway, will dock in Nynashamn on a Sunday in June.  Norwegian transfer costs $50 pp (#30 children), but we also have a $50 cruise excursion credit, so total after the credit would be $130.  For a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teenagers), what would you recommend, Norwegian transfer or DIY train to/from Stockholm?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we usually avoid ships tours but this would be easiest in this case with Nynashamn

 

its about an hour away to Stockholm and buses drop you off in central Stockholm with same pick up point

 

returns are supposed to be at a particular time but in reality the buses run on continual loop and leave when full

 

train on the other hand involves a walk to rail station and reliance on schedules

 

Nynashamn is usually listed as a tender port but last year they utilised floating bridge which meant effectively a floating dock so easy to get on/off ship 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tyrannosaur said:

Traveling in Norwegian Getaway, will dock in Nynashamn on a Sunday in June.  Norwegian transfer costs $50 pp (#30 children), but we also have a $50 cruise excursion credit, so total after the credit would be $130.  For a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teenagers), what would you recommend, Norwegian transfer or DIY train to/from Stockholm?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

I have a different take ... I would use the train. It is only a 10-15 minute walk to the train station. Trains run every half hour. Total cost for the 4 of you (with 2 children) would be about $53.00 - a significant savings.  There is also a reduced price for seniors.

Alternatively, you can take the HOHO bus (there will be Stromma HOHO buses at the pier & Stockholm drop off is at the same location as the ship transfer - Gustav Adolfs Torg). The HOHO is more expensive than the train: about $32 adult & $16 for the teens . So about $96 total for the 4 of you - still a savings plus the added benefit of a HOHO in Stockholm. 

You can read about the train and bus options here:

http://www.visitnynashamn.se/en/home/cruise/faq.4.2447cef013e3c1b82892878.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the commuter train. It will be slightly easier to change to new transport in Stockholm.
Since December the tram goes past Sergelstorg to Åhléns. Its about 300-400 m walk from the Central
station (street level). The tram will take you all the way to Vasa (Nordiska museet stop).

A 24 hour ticket would be recommended. It cost 130 SEK (14 USD) for adults (age 20-64)
and 90 SEK (9,7 USD) for teenagers (age 7-19) so that would be about 48 USD for 24 hours of
unlimited travel on Stockholm public transport (commuter trains, trams, buses, harbour ferries (excluding M/S Emelie)).


Walk direction from Central station (street level Vasagatan) to Tram.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/59.3308173,18.0596549/59.331336,18.0619532/59.3315152,18.0624465/59.3320681,18.0622598/@59.331473,18.0602978,18.08z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2

 

You train will arrive at Stockholm city station which is deep (40-45m) under ground.
https://stockholmiana.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/modell-station-stockholm-city-moddad.jpg

 

Either follow directions to Sergels torg, Vasagatan or Central station.

Edited by Desdichado62

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"A 24 hour ticket would be recommended. It cost 130 SEK (14 USD) for adults (age 20-64)
and 90 SEK (9,7 USD) for teenagers (age 7-19) so that would be about 48 USD for 24 hours of
unlimited travel on Stockholm public transport (commuter trains, trams, buses, harbour ferries (excluding M/S Emelie))."

 

We used a 24 hour transportation pass in Stockholm, and were extremely impressed with the public buses, subway and tram.  We had our 3 year old with us, and were able to traverse throughout the entire city quite easily.  

 

It could be hard to confirm the exact times of the NCL shuttle until you get on board (I've generally found it difficult to get precise information from the cruise lines about their tours ahead of time) and that would make a huge difference for me - Stockholm is gorgeous, with so much to see, and people who have used ship tours that required them to be back much earlier have reported that they were quite disappointed.  But the above poster may be correct in that there are later shuttles available - I just hope you are able to get info on the specifics of that prior to sailing.

Edited by kitkat343

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry - was told edit for above post didn't work, but it did.

 

 

Edited by kitkat343

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replies!

Norwegian excursion transfer info says 10 hours tour duration starting at 7:30 AM, which means the last bus leaving for port would be around 5:30 pm.

I've read in the forum that the line to purchase 24 hour transportation pass at the Nynashamn station had a long wait, but it would be interesting to visit the city station deep underground!  Do you know if the signs are in Swedish only, or English as well?

Thanks for all the helpful info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tyrannosaur said:

Thanks for all the replies!

Norwegian excursion transfer info says 10 hours tour duration starting at 7:30 AM, which means the last bus leaving for port would be around 5:30 pm.

I've read in the forum that the line to purchase 24 hour transportation pass at the Nynashamn station had a long wait, but it would be interesting to visit the city station deep underground!  Do you know if the signs are in Swedish only, or English as well?

Thanks for all the helpful info!

 

You can also buy tickets via the official app but it requires requires you all to have it and you also need to register

as well as connect a credit card to the app. https://sl.se/en/fares--tickets/

Signs (click right arrow in image): https://linkarkitektur.com/se/Projekt/Citybanan-Station-Stockholm-City#

Edited by Desdichado62

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tyrannosaur said:

Thanks for all the replies!

Norwegian excursion transfer info says 10 hours tour duration starting at 7:30 AM, which means the last bus leaving for port would be around 5:30 pm.

I've read in the forum that the line to purchase 24 hour transportation pass at the Nynashamn station had a long wait, but it would be interesting to visit the city station deep underground!  Do you know if the signs are in Swedish only, or English as well?

Thanks for all the helpful info!

Signs are also in English - all the Swedes that I have encountered have been extremely helpful and most speak English. Wonderful city - great inhabitants!

FWIW - there have been complaints regarding the NCL shuttle - it does not leave Nynashamn port until the bus is full. Therefore, those hoping to get an early start into Stockholm had a rather rude surprise. Even though 7:30 is the stated starting time, if the bus is not full until 8:30 ... well, you get the picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Signs are also in English - all the Swedes that I have encountered have been extremely helpful and most speak English. Wonderful city - great inhabitants!

FWIW - there have been complaints regarding the NCL shuttle - it does not leave Nynashamn port until the bus is full. Therefore, those hoping to get an early start into Stockholm had a rather rude surprise. Even though 7:30 is the stated starting time, if the bus is not full until 8:30 ... well, you get the picture.

 

 

actually we were on NCL Breakaway last July

there were constant shuttle buses leaving from 7.30 and filled up very quickly

 

Are you thinking of the complaints about the HOHO sightseeing bus that refused to leave until was full and in the end had to leave half full due to passenger pressure and the driver eventually realised he wasn't going to get a full bus as most people did journey into Stockholm by train or NCL Shuttle/tour buses?

 

we booked the trip when still advertised as docking in Stockholm and when changed to tender in Nynashamn we got free transfer tickets on the shuttle bus

 

I thought the cost to buy them individually was nearer $30 than $50 but may be wrong 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, fabnfortysomething said:

 

 

actually we were on NCL Breakaway last July

there were constant shuttle buses leaving from 7.30 and filled up very quickly

 

Are you thinking of the complaints about the HOHO sightseeing bus that refused to leave until was full and in the end had to leave half full due to passenger pressure and the driver eventually realised he wasn't going to get a full bus as most people did journey into Stockholm by train or NCL Shuttle/tour buses?

 

we booked the trip when still advertised as docking in Stockholm and when changed to tender in Nynashamn we got free transfer tickets on the shuttle bus

 

I thought the cost to buy them individually was nearer $30 than $50 but may be wrong 

Good to know. Things must have improved since our cruise on NCL (the shuttle was advertised as "Stockholm on your own" and at $99 per person, we felt it was a total rip-off). The shuttle did not leave port until the bus was full. And, yes, I have read some of the complaints about the HOHO bus - the HOHO was not available during our port in Nynashamn but I have read that the buses did not leave the port last year until they were full. Ugh!

Edited by dogs4fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if the NCL buses run continuously throughout the day? Does anyone know where the drop off point is? Is it easy to then get to the Vasa or Old Town?

 

I’m also debating on the NCL bus vs. HOHO bus. Lots of conflicting reviews on the HOHO, but I like the idea that we already have transportation built in. 

 

We want to go to the Vasa and Old Town for sure. City Hall is also another possibility if we have time. We are a party of 7 and usually do private tours vs. ship tours - but I’m finding it very expensive based on the quotes I’ve gotten so far.

 

My mom has some mobility issues - so I’m debating if using the train to get into town is going to be too difficult. So leaning more towards NCL bus transportation or HOHO. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 2:24 PM, tyrannosaur said:

Traveling in Norwegian Getaway, will dock in Nynashamn on a Sunday in June.  Norwegian transfer costs $50 pp (#30 children), but we also have a $50 cruise excursion credit, so total after the credit would be $130.  For a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teenagers), what would you recommend, Norwegian transfer or DIY train to/from Stockholm?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Tyrannosaur, Just wondering what you ended up doing in Stockholm - did you DIY it from the port or something else? We are traveling in June with our two tweens and are considering taking the train. Any tips? I think I'd like to see the Vasa, the Palace/museums and walk around Gamla Stan. Thanks Desdi for the links and info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Buffy, our ship changed port for the good, instead of docking in Nynashamn it docked right in Stockholm Frihamnen, so we ended up taking a short bus ride to Vasa, then walked around Gamla Stan, but no time for palace/museum (we had a short time in port until early afternoon).  Enjoy your trip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, buffy9678 said:

Tyrannosaur, Just wondering what you ended up doing in Stockholm - did you DIY it from the port or something else? We are traveling in June with our two tweens and are considering taking the train. Any tips? I think I'd like to see the Vasa, the Palace/museums and walk around Gamla Stan. Thanks Desdi for the links and info. 

We did this cruise with a  3.5 year old, so it is a little different.  We DIY everywhere except St. Petersburg and there's a lot of info on traveling with kids in the Baltics in my review in my signature line.  I'd recommend considering a private tour for just your family in St. Petersburg if you can afford it, so you can take breaks whenever the kids need it and stay longer whenever they are interested in something (Stolle is all over the city and has great quick food).    We didn't visit the train museum since I booked the trip 6 weeks in advance and didn't know about it ahead of time, but if your kids would like model trains that's something to look into.  IT's a great trip for families and I hope you have a wonderful time!

Edited by kitkat343

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tyrannosaur said:

Hello Buffy, our ship changed port for the good, instead of docking in Nynashamn it docked right in Stockholm Frihamnen, so we ended up taking a short bus ride to Vasa, then walked around Gamla Stan, but no time for palace/museum (we had a short time in port until early afternoon).  Enjoy your trip!

We will be on the Escape which is taking over that itinerary this summer. How far in advance did you find out that you would be docking closer in Stockholm? I'm wondering how commonplace it is to change from Nynashamn to more central Stockholm.  Also, I see you were on the Epic Western Med in June 2017 - we were on that itinerary that month too 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

We did this cruise with a  3.5 year old, so it is a little different.  We DIY everywhere except St. Petersburg and there's a lot of info on traveling with kids in the Baltics in my review in my signature line.  I'd recommend considering a private tour for just your family in St. Petersburg if you can afford it, so you can take breaks whenever the kids need it and stay longer whenever they are interested in something (Stolle is all over the city and has great quick food).    We didn't visit the train museum since I booked the trip 6 weeks in advance and didn't know about it ahead of time, but if your kids would like model trains that's something to look into.  IT's a great trip for families and I hope you have a wonderful time!

Thank you. I think we'll be DIY most of the itinerary too. We've booked a 2 day tour in St Petersburg with a company that tells me it's kid friendly (not specifically kid-oriented) and although it isn't private it isn't a coach bus size either. Did you stop in Warnemunde? Wondering what you did there. We were thinking to DIY Rostock and maybe the Molli train. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

We did this cruise with a  3.5 year old, so it is a little different.  We DIY everywhere except St. Petersburg and there's a lot of info on traveling with kids in the Baltics in my review in my signature line.  I'd recommend considering a private tour for just your family in St. Petersburg if you can afford it, so you can take breaks whenever the kids need it and stay longer whenever they are interested in something (Stolle is all over the city and has great quick food).    We didn't visit the train museum since I booked the trip 6 weeks in advance and didn't know about it ahead of time, but if your kids would like model trains that's something to look into.  IT's a great trip for families and I hope you have a wonderful time!

Ah nevermind, I am looking at your review and see that you did the Molli. We are also there on a Monday and I would have preferred Schwerin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, buffy9678 said:

We will be on the Escape which is taking over that itinerary this summer. How far in advance did you find out that you would be docking closer in Stockholm? I'm wondering how commonplace it is to change from Nynashamn to more central Stockholm.  Also, I see you were on the Epic Western Med in June 2017 - we were on that itinerary that month too 🙂 

I think I received the email notification from Norwegian about 2-3 months prior to departure, and Norwegian only skipped Nynashamn for certain itineraries last summer, not sure why.  Some passengers mentioned about port fees, others mentioned the ship had to skip Stockholm several times in the past because of wind condition (navigate among the small islands into Stockholm).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, buffy9678 said:

We will be on the Escape which is taking over that itinerary this summer. How far in advance did you find out that you would be docking closer in Stockholm? I'm wondering how commonplace it is to change from Nynashamn to more central Stockholm.

It is highly unlikely that the Escape will dock in Stockholm rather than Nynashamn. Usually, it works the other way round, ships that are scheduled to dock in central Stockholm are redirected to Nynashamn if there are strong winds. That is what happened on Regal Princess cruise a few years ago - scheduled to dock in Stockholm, actually docked in Nynashamn (informed the night before docking).

In any event, you can find the info on the port of Stockholm website - they would most likely post this information long before you would receive any notification from NCL.

https://www.portsofstockholm.com/vessel-calls/

Edited by dogs4fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Escape's call in Stockholm 20th July is booked for Frihamnen, since Sky Princess is in Nynäshamn that day, but it can still change. All other calls for Escape will defenitly go to Nynäshamn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 6:57 AM, dogs4fun said:

Signs are also in English - all the Swedes that I have encountered have been extremely helpful and most speak English. Wonderful city - great inhabitants!

 

 

Slightly off topic, but another good experience in Scandinavia.  Years ago, I was in Oslo parking my rental car in a city lot.  I couldn't figure out the pay parking system and stopped a well dressed man walking through the lot. I asked him if he spoke English and he replied in the best south Texas accent, Ma am, that's all I speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...