P&O Cruises to stop billing for gratuities in 2019

notalandlover

From her article.

P&O Cruises guests will no longer be billed for mandatory gratuities, after a transition period that ends in May.

The British-based subsidiary of Carnival Corp. currently charges a £7 a day ($9) service fee for each passenger, which will continue until May.

Few other large-ship cruise lines currently leave gratuities to the complete discretion of the customer. Most assess a charge automatically, that can be adjusted up or down by visiting the service desk on the final day of a cruise.

In the U.K. market, Marella Cruises, formerly Thomson Cruises, does not require tipping. P&O's sister brand in Australia, P&O Australia, also says that it does not automatically add gratuities onto passengers' accounts or spa or bar bills.

In a policy statement on its website, P&O said, "We take huge pride in giving you a holiday that's truly memorable and our team on board is committed to providing exceptional service. From May 2019, the discretionary daily service charge on board will be removed so you can relax knowing it's all taken care of." 

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

I wish all lines would do this so passengers who are looking to save a buck by removing gratuities can no longer do so.

Very much agree with you. If all lines added the total gratuity amount to the base fare, I would be quite satisfied. We have never had a reason to remove any gratuities, so we feel the crew should always receive whatever amounts the cruise line has established. And we certainly would never think of removing gratuities to save money or feel the need to hand out cash tips in order to feed our egos by being thanked in person. 

Whenever we have had a problem, which has been quite rare, we immediately took it up with the appropriate supervisory staff and it was corrected immediately. I can never understand the reasoning of enduring a problem silently for the duration of a cruise only to "punish" the staff at the end by removing or reducing the tips. Seems that only punishes the passenger who allows himself to put up with the problem instead of getting it fixed right away.  

But then, I doubt anyone who removes tips actually does it because of "poor" service.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Don't know if you were around when they were instituted. Whole thing came about do to cheap American pax sneaking off the ship. Right or wrong, ship's stewards make their money from tips. I can do simple math, so I know total cruise cost the fare plus fees, taxes and tips. 

I have been cruising with P&O and Thomson/Marella for over 10 years, during which Marella have had tips included in the fare as a non listed item and P&O have had a rising daily discretionary amount. Tips in the fare works well on Marella and I believe the crew had their basic salaries increased to compensate. The result is happy and efficient crews who can keep any tips that are given to them. I still tip occasionally if someone gives me exceptional service and really enhances my cruising experience. I have not seen any pressure from the crew to give them a tip and Marella remind passengers that tips are not required. It is even written on your cruise card.

I believe P&O were forced into a change of policy because the cancellation rate for discretionary tips was increasing rapidly. There were also 'revelations' from an insider about the crew salary and bonus scheme. Whatever the truth of the matter P&O were faced with the choice of rapidly increasing daily amounts or wrapping it all into the fare with the advantage that everyone pays and the daily amount is lower for all.

3 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

P&O mainly serves European cruisers, where tipping is not the norm. Therefore, most cruisers were removing them.

They aren't doing away with it, just including it in the fare.

I don't ever see US based cruise lines doing this.

Tipping is far more normal in Europe than US folk think. This is especially true in Germany and less common in Italy and France. You will find an average of around 10% or the age old 'rounding up tipping' going on. Just because our tipping culture is very different does not mean we don't tip.

Theres no proof that cruisers were removing their tips in droves either. 

With Marella (Other UK line)doing well at the moment ad including tips it's not surprise they are doing this especially when their Aussie branch has no grats. P&O can be quite pricey over here to say you get more bells and whistles on other lines.

Edited by Velvetwater

The gratuities have  not been removed,  They are incorporated into the cruise fare.  Most cruise lines leaving from Australian ports incorporate fares into pricing due to Australians reluctance to tip. No such thing as a free lunch.

13 hours ago, Velvetwater said:

Tipping is far more normal in Europe than US folk think. This is especially true in Germany and less common in Italy and France. You will find an average of around 10% or the age old 'rounding up tipping' going on. Just because our tipping culture is very different does not mean we don't tip.

Theres no proof that cruisers were removing their tips in droves either. 

With Marella (Other UK line)doing well at the moment ad including tips it's not surprise they are doing this especially when their Aussie branch has no grats. P&O can be quite pricey over here to say you get more bells and whistles on other lines.

Tipping may be more normal in Germany but the two major German cruise lines Aida and TUI (Mein Schiffs) include tips in the fare.

I think you are confusing P&O and Marella as Marella does not have an Aussie branch.

a lot of holiday makers like to know the upfront cost of their holiday before they go. Including tips in the fare and 'all inclusive' does this. Marella for example will include a comprehensive drinks package from this summer. P&O are introducing a drinks package from this summer too and I expect it will be included in the fare eventually.

12 hours ago, davecttr said:

Tipping may be more normal in Germany but the two major German cruise lines Aida and TUI (Mein Schiffs) include tips in the fare.

I think you are confusing P&O and Marella as Marella does not have an Aussie branch.

a lot of holiday makers like to know the upfront cost of their holiday before they go. Including tips in the fare and 'all inclusive' does this. Marella for example will include a comprehensive drinks package from this summer. P&O are introducing a drinks package from this summer too and I expect it will be included in the fare eventually.

I think you may have misread my wording. I said/meant with Marella doing well it's no surprise they (P&O) are including tips as their Aussie line include tips and often do drink package deals.

I certainly know the difference as I usually avoid both those UK lines..... sailed on P&O Oz though. Nothing negative on the UK line product I just prefer to holiday with more of mix/different cultural mix. I can't be doing with that flag waving etc.

I think the European way is to be inclusive in pricing...so tips can be added if one desires.

Edited by Velvetwater

On 2/11/2019 at 7:05 AM, 1025cruise said:

P&O mainly serves European cruisers, where tipping is not the norm. Therefore, most cruisers were removing them.

They aren't doing away with it, just including it in the fare.

I don't ever see US based cruise lines doing this.

You may be right but one can always hope.  Every time they raise the grats I suspect more people will remove then. Repeat etc.  I don't see this being successful in years to come.  

I have to disagree because every auto-gratuity topic becomes a heated exchange between the “don’t screw the crew” advocates and the “discretionary means discretionary” opponents.   Just look back at the NCL board for February of 2017 when they made gratuities mandatory in the US.
At least now that it’s rolled into the fare the crew will at least get something from all passengers.  Not that cheapskates won’t still try to be cheapskates.  Last year on the Cunard board a passenger got free gratuities as a promotional perk… yet still wanted to know how they could reduce them because they used the reduction for money to hand to individuals!  

On 2/11/2019 at 10:09 PM, Gwendy said:

The gratuities have  not been removed,  They are incorporated into the cruise fare.  Most cruise lines leaving from Australian ports incorporate fares into pricing due to Australians reluctance to tip. No such thing as a free lunch.

If every dollar, pound, euro, whatever you pay is part of the fare, it is not a gratuity. It may be that a cruise line doing away with daily service charges will adjust the base wages appropriately - and advise the cruising public that no gratuities are expected.  

It is is essentially a complete revision of the crew’s compensation package.