Yacht Club benefits on Ocean Cay...

Nashna

I would really be surprised if they charged YC cruisers for umbrellas.  Our cruise was purchased with the understanding that we would have a private area on OC.  Since it looks like that won't be ready for our January 2020 cruise, I expect MSC to provide us with the essentials.

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, jenlburt said:

Does anyone know if the umbrellas ended up being included in the YC area?

They are included and they're already set up between pairs of loungers by the beach

With that said, if you plan to swim, bring swim shoes.  Lots of dead coral is still being washed up on the shores, and while MSC is working hard to clear it daily and weekly (seriously, there are multiple large mounds all over the island where they are piling them up) I would guess its going to continue for a while, given what work just went on there (and what the island used to be).

Oh, and the YC beach is not protected from sharks.  Which was fun to find out when a couple swam by us in the water a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

Ocean view is just that. You will have a rocky edge in front of the area in front of the cabana. They seem to be place on the higher part of that section of the YC area.   Beachfront is lower and will be in front of the beach with  loungers and umbrellas in front of your cabana but direct access to the beach and water.  We prefer the OV for privacy.  Same great butler service in both.

• Like 1

How early can you book stuff with MSC? Like the cabanas, specialty dining, etc. Once you're paid in full or just at a certain number of days prior to the cruise? Also, is dining in the YC assigned a particular time or is it more freestyle &you come when you want? Thanks everyone! I know I have a lot of questions lol...

18 hours ago, Cruisergal1208 said:

Ocean view is just that. You will have a rocky edge in front of the area in front of the cabana. They seem to be place on the higher part of that section of the YC area.   Beachfront is lower and will be in front of the beach with  loungers and umbrellas in front of your cabana but direct access to the beach and water.  We prefer the OV for privacy.  Same great butler service in both.

Do the cabanas provide a good amount of shade? Besides a couch & the included stuff (floaties), what else does it provide? 

10 minutes ago, jenlburt said:

How early can you book stuff with MSC? Like the cabanas, specialty dining, etc. Once you're paid in full or just at a certain number of days prior to the cruise? Also, is dining in the YC assigned a particular time or is it more freestyle &you come when you want? Thanks everyone! I know I have a lot of questions lol...

It is freestyle.  First day they will ask for preferred time as an estimate of needs.

login and see what you can book as some things way out others not until on ship.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 10:12 AM, Beardface said:

They are included and they're already set up between pairs of loungers by the beach

With that said, if you plan to swim, bring swim shoes.  Lots of dead coral is still being washed up on the shores, and while MSC is working hard to clear it daily and weekly (seriously, there are multiple large mounds all over the island where they are piling them up) I would guess its going to continue for a while, given what work just went on there (and what the island used to be).

Oh, and the YC beach is not protected from sharks.  Which was fun to find out when a couple swam by us in the water a few weeks ago.

Sharks??? How are the other beaches protected?

1 hour ago, LorraineP said:

Do you think shark netting is really that safe? We will be in YC area & I read no shark netting there. 

You are correct in that the YC beach does not have a shark net. It is wide open to the sea, which probably makes netting difficult. Shark attacks are very rare and would not keep me out of the water. If this is a concern, you can move to one of the beaches that are protected (there are several). There are many beaches on OC which is one of the reasons that it looks so beautiful from high up on the ship.

2 hours ago, sptrout said:

You are correct in that the YC beach does not have a shark net. It is wide open to the sea, which probably makes netting difficult. Shark attacks are very rare and would not keep me out of the water. If this is a concern, you can move to one of the beaches that are protected (there are several). There are many beaches on OC which is one of the reasons that it looks so beautiful from high up on the ship.

OK thanks 

• 2 years later...

Dusting off this thread, if that's OK.

Back in April 2022, we booked an OV Cabana and stopped by the YC Concierge desk to request #7 which is the closest Cabana to the Ocean House. You still have to walk around Ocean House to get to the beach area...which DW did not like! So, for our upcoming Thanksgiving cruise, I've booked a "non-oceanfront" Oceanfront Cabana...I call them that due to all the regular loungers and umbrellas that are between the cabana and the beach. So, does anyone know which # Cabana is right by the access way in the middle of the chairs to the beach?  I know I don't want to ask for #6 as that is right by the path up to the Ocean House with people/waiters consistently passing by. But, I don't know if I should ask the Concierge for #3, 4, or 5 to be right by the beach access-way.

Can anyone please advise?  Many thanks!