Reading material

lenquixote66

1 hour ago, wheezedr said:

Dw loads her Kindle, I load my IPad.  Books are to heavy and bulky to carry any longer.

Alas,I have neither a Nook or a Kindle and do not take my Ipad on cruises.

Therefore,we pack books into our checked luggage and leave them on the ship for others to read .

• Like 3

I love the freedom of having dozens of books on my lightweight Kindle -- new fiction books I want to read, history books, reference books, books related to my destination, something for any mood and I can read it anywhere. Haven't traveled with a load of books in at least 6-7 years now.

• Like 1

I rarely travel with books, we are over packed already.  I do not like reading on electronic devices... so do check out the library... on board,  the older ships still have them, newer ones don't too back.   Sign of the times.   I still read a real newspaper.  I ask the customer service desk for the latest news summary as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've been using a Kindle since 2010. As I'm a speed reader it has made travel so much easier for me.

X2.  I'm not a speed reader, but ebooks are the only way to travel.   

I have a kindle, which I take to places where it's hard to charge devices (camping, backpacking, etc.) because that thing stays charged FOREVER and has a small enough battery that my solar charger can charge it (if I don't read all day... *weeps*). 

For cruising, I bring my iPad with the Kindle app and the Scribd app, which means I have instant access to a whole library of books over wifi (ship, phone or hotspot in port). When I'm not exploring in port or eating, I spend most of the cruise in a deck chair with a blanket and a book, and not having to decide before-hand what I'm going to read is awesome.

• Like 1

I am in the minority here since  I bring along several paperbacks from the local book swap.  They are easier to carry around both on the ship and while ashore.  I am not impacted by glare and I am not concerned with them becoming lost or stolen.  I also leave them behind when finished for others to read.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I also read ebooks although I sometimes carry a paperback that I had begun reading at home (which is left behind when finished). 

Oh, do I ever feel you on bringing the book you'd already started. One of my first ever trips overseas, I ended up dragging a 900+ page paperback through the jungle of Mexico because I was 75 pages from the end and couldn't bear to leave the book at home and not to find out what happened. (It's still my absolute favorite book of all time, despite feeling like it was a boat anchor the whole trip...)

• Like 1

I take my iPad to read in the cabin (specifically while my SO is sleeping, so I don’t need to leave a lamp on) and a paperback to take on deck (no worries about leaving it unattended while I am briefly away from my chair).  I almost always bring an unfinished paperback home; I was with my sister on my last cruise and we spent so much time chatting in lounge chairs that I read a total of 3 pages.

• Like 1

siHow it's changed over the past few years, when we would all be reading the heavy hard backed library books... yes, I used to donate  my paperbacks, but now use a kindle instead.

Once, on an NCL ship, my OH left the two most recent Lee Child's books on the donation  shelf- they'd disappeared before he left the library. Now he uses his ipad.

Edited by jocap
typo

I bring a few books to read and then leave on the ship and/or in Little Free Libraries in port. Littlefreelibrary.org

I have tried e-readers and I don't care for them. I want the tactile sensation of paper books and the ability to pass them on to others.  I have shared hundreds of books over 7 continents, some as part of BookCrossing.com

Edited by Bookish Angel
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bookish Angel said:

I bring a few books to read and then leave on the ship and/or in Little Free Libraries in port. Littlefreelibrary.org

I have tried e-readers and I don't care for them. I want the tactile sensation of paper books and the ability to pass them on to others.  I have shared hundreds of books over 7 continents, some as part of BookCrossing.com

That is wonderful. I have been a published writer since 1988. Everything that I have written to date is in paper ,nothing electronic. 

12 hours ago, SimplyMarvie said:

Oh, do I ever feel you on bringing the book you'd already started. One of my first ever trips overseas, I ended up dragging a 900+ page paperback through the jungle of Mexico because I was 75 pages from the end and couldn't bear to leave the book at home and not to find out what happened. (It's still my absolute favorite book of all time, despite feeling like it was a boat anchor the whole trip...)

Haha, I could feel your pain.