Reading material

lenquixote66

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I love books.I have more than 1000. Many are from high school and college.I rather read a book than watch tv.

I love books too and also would rather read than watch TV. But there is nothing intrinsically different or better/worse in reading those books on a Kindle or other device. It is the content that moves or inspires or educates me -- not the format.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have been a published writer since 1988. Everything that I have written to date is in paper ,nothing electronic. 

Content is content. If monks had not consolidated ancient Greek/Latin scrolls into books; if the printing press had not been invented so that knowledge could be much more broadly disseminated....think how much poorer our literary heritage would be. We are now in the electronic age. Do you want your published materials to perish with paper, or live on?

Signed, another published author and editor.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SimplyMarvie said:

Oh, do I ever feel you on bringing the book you'd already started. One of my first ever trips overseas, I ended up dragging a 900+ page paperback through the jungle of Mexico because I was 75 pages from the end and couldn't bear to leave the book at home and not to find out what happened. (It's still my absolute favorite book of all time, despite feeling like it was a boat anchor the whole trip...)

Now I'm curious -- what's the book?

17 hours ago, Beachfrog said:

My vote is for actual paperbacks!  I guess I am too old-school. 🙂

I used to do that.  But I read fairly quickly.  With a quiet day, I have been known to read 2 or even 3 books.

Now carry enough books for a 3 week trip......  And, to plan on what to carry to read. 

I PREFER real books, but electronic is so much more convenient.

With electronic, I can carry from several hundred, to (on my eReader) over 4000 books.  So I can decide on the fly what to read.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Now I'm curious -- what's the book?

It's a novel called "Gospel" by Wilton Barnhardt -- it's a travelogue and a mystery surrounding the search for an early Gospel by a Catholic priest, a Rabbi, and a grad student with perniciously low self esteem. Definitely not for everyone, but I love how it talks about travel and history and religion without being evangelical or dogmatic (about any of the religions involved).  

• Thanks 1

I will be donating two copies of Thor Heyerdals book, The Voyage of the Kon Tiki to the library on the Crown Princess in Sept.

Non fiction of a trip on a raft across the Pacific to discover how people came from Peru to Polynesia. With pictures. 4,000 miles in 101 days on a hand made balsa wood raft. First published in 1950.

Will make you appreciate how they do it now. Sit back, relax and picture your self on the trip of discovery.

On 2/10/2019 at 5:18 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I usuall bring about 6 books to read on the ship and afterward donate them tothe ships library.On my next cruise I am bringing a puzzle book.What about you?

I love audible but I found I really enjoyed reading a physical book while on a cruise.  It was very relaxing.  I try to avoid seroius books and stick with fluff.  Give me a good Danielle Steel novel and I'm in heaven.  I also love biographies and autobiographies. Any good fluff that anyone knows of?  I do love a good cheesy romance novel. 

2 hours ago, Harry and Lucille said:

I will be donating two copies of Thor Heyerdals book, The Voyage of the Kon Tiki to the library on the Crown Princess in Sept.

I love that book!  I read it when I was about 12 and it started a love for similar tales and travel to remote places.  Thanks for donating those copies - someone will be delighted.

Edited by Bookish Angel

2 hours ago, LuckyStar said:

I love audible but I found I really enjoyed reading a physical book while on a cruise.  It was very relaxing.  I try to avoid seroius books and stick with fluff.  Give me a good Danielle Steel novel and I'm in heaven.  I also love biographies and autobiographies. Any good fluff that anyone knows of?  I do love a good cheesy romance novel. 

I don't  read romance novels, but Tami Hoag does some good mysteries with a romance aspect.  As well as romance novels (I have picked up one or two by mistake).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LuckyStar said:

Gloria Malette writes romance novels. I believe she has written close to 20.

On 2/12/2019 at 10:15 AM, SRF said:

I used to do that.  But I read fairly quickly.  With a quiet day, I have been known to read 2 or even 3 books.

Now carry enough books for a 3 week trip......  And, to plan on what to carry to read. 

I PREFER real books, but electronic is so much more convenient.

With electronic, I can carry from several hundred, to (on my eReader) over 4000 books.  So I can decide on the fly what to read.

I also find that I will sometimes give up preference for convenience in many areas of my life 😞.  I still take paper books for reading, but I also realize my current cruising style doesn't allow much time for reading so I only take one or two that I really want to read.

21 hours ago, LuckyStar said:

It's probably been over 20 years since I've read either of these authors (but Danielle Steel is from that time too), but I used to enjoy Jude Deveraux and Nora Roberts for romance fluff.  Nora Roberts also wrote mysteries under J.D. Robb (...in Death would be most of the titles), but they might be a little dark if you just want fluff.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:46 PM, pris993 said:

I rarely travel with books, we are over packed already.  I do not like reading on electronic devices... so do check out the library... on board,  the older ships still have them, newer ones don't too back.   Sign of the times.   I still read a real newspaper.  I ask the customer service desk for the latest news summary as well. 

I usually do this.  I love finding a book to read on board.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

I also find that I will sometimes give up preference for convenience in many areas of my life 😞.  I still take paper books for reading, but I also realize my current cruising style doesn't allow much time for reading so I only take one or two that I really want to read.

It's probably been over 20 years since I've read either of these authors (but Danielle Steel is from that time too), but I used to enjoy Jude Deveraux and Nora Roberts for romance fluff.  Nora Roberts also wrote mysteries under J.D. Robb (...in Death would be most of the titles), but they might be a little dark if you just want fluff.

Great ideas.  I've read some Barbara Delinsky as well.  She writes some good stuff. And a lot more less fluff than Steel.  🙂

I bring my Kindle loaded with many books and usually check some books out of the ship's library too, although the quality and quantity of books found there gets less and less.

I really like reading 'real' books more, but the convenience of the Kindle for traveling is wonderful.

I also usually bring at least one long or dense paperback, just in case for some reason the Kindle goes kerflooey.  Can't be without reading material!  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have several friends who do not have computers,cell phones or any kind of personal electronic devices.They read newspapers,books and listen to radios and have no desire to change the way they live.

....and their point is what, exactly?  Change is bad?  Refusal to accept change is virtuous?

Maybe we should we go back to the days when the best transportation option was horse and buggy, everyone wrote letters to keep in touch, and the epitome of medical treatment was leeches.... :classic_blink:

Kindles and other ways of reading electronically make life easier for travelers who enjoy reading.

• Like 4

On 2/12/2019 at 1:53 PM, Bookish Angel said:

I love that book!  I read it when I was about 12 and it started a love for similar tales and travel to remote places.  Thanks for donating those copies - someone will be delighted.

I really enjoy that book too and probably first read it in my teens.  I reread it every few years.

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I hate computers. Life was so much easier before the electronic age,in my opinion.

But, when you are wearing your author hat, you do use on, right?   Has to be a lot easier than handwriting something.