Reading material

lenquixote66

30 minutes ago, h_blond2 said:

I bring my Nook. Multiple books without taking up a lot of space.

Indeed! Kindle here, over 250 books downloaded.

Before we had an electronic readers I would bring 1/2 dozen paperbacks on a week's vacation/cruise and usually left 5 behind in a lending library.   Even worse, Evelyn would bring hard cover books, what a load!  "Gone are the days......."

Edited by evandbob

Funny thing.  I read a number of years ago about the driving force behind electronic books.

Yes, convenience and carrying multiple books, etc were all reasons.

But according to one study, the number one reason was people (many men) reading romance novels, that did not want other people to know what they were reading. 😄

No lurid covers.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I used a typewriter to write.

You know I didn't even think of a typewriter.  I'm surprised a publisher would accept paper manuscripts these days.  But then I will be the first to admit I know next to nothing about the business.   

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

You know I didn't even think of a typewriter.  I'm surprised a publisher would accept paper manuscripts these days.  But then I will be the first to admit I know next to nothing about the business.   

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

The last time I was published was in 1988. I wrote for pleasure until 2000 and always with a typewriter.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2019 at 5:45 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I have several friends who do not have computers,cell phones or any kind of personal electronic devices.

I have two friends who do not use computers (both have cell phones though). Both of these women are what I would  term "computer illiterate". One could not figure out how to attach & send photos via text even though her son had showed her several times. It was when she visited me that she finally learned as I showed her the method of simply clicking on the paper clip icon (her OS is Android whereas mine is iOS - don't know what her son was teaching her). Regarding this same tech challenged friend: her son had a stroke on Superbowl Sunday - she is now attempting to get his affairs in order, pay his bills, etc. Unfortunately for her, he uses online banking to pay all of his bills - it would come in very handy during this very trying time if she had at least some semblance of familiarity with technology. 

Edited by dogs4fun

I still like reading a paper book so I bring 2-3 with on a cruise. Yes, I leave them for others. They are not thrown away, they are left in the libraries for others to read.

I do not like the e-readers at all. Way too much screen time that put a strain on my eyes. Especially with all of the other screens we look at all of the time.

I'd rather have a book in my hand then a tablet. Just my preference and comfort level.

To those who insist on the tablets for reading are the only way to go - No need to disparage people because you are not in agreement with their choices. (This is how it is coming across in your posts.) There are still a good amount of people that read paper books. 😊

I read currently on a tablet, but that is not my preferred eDevice for reading.

The E-ink screens without a back lit do not lead to as much eyestrain.  I think it is the back lighting that causes problems.

But I carry a tablet for other reasons, so don't want to travel with a smart phone, tablet, laptop (work), AND an e-reader.

I cannot stand calling a company or any kind of business and not being able to speak to a human being. When you go to a bank they urge you to do on line banking,but if everyone did so these people would be out of work.

I love libraries,it is hard to fathom a world without libraries and book stores but it will happen.

My wife went to our local library yesterday to take out a book and came home with a kindle .Yes,the libraries are now doing this.It is really scary.

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I cannot stand calling a company or any kind of business and not being able to speak to a human being. When you go to a bank they urge you to do on line banking,but if everyone did so these people would be out of work.

I love libraries,it is hard to fathom a world without libraries and book stores but it will happen.

My wife went to our local library yesterday to take out a book and came home with a kindle .Yes,the libraries are now doing this.It is really scary.

Agree wholeheartedly.

I buy books from charity shops and leave them for others to read when I disembark.

There are usually many books available on embarkation which disappear during the cruise so many others must be using' real' books too.

Nooks and Kindles came along just in time to save me when my arthritis got so bad it’s painful to hold print books. 

I can hold them in one  hand, touching them with my thumb to turn pages. 

In bright sunlight I can adjust the background so there is no glare. 

Instead of a suitcase filled half with books and the other half shoes, I have room for clothes now. 

I don’t have to carry two books in case I finish one. 

I can read at night without a light. 

I’m glad so many people still read print books, use libraries, and frequent book stores. 

I do read my daily newspaper, and, sadly, that is far more likely to disappear than any of them are. 

The written word is valuable, in whatever form it appears. 

• Like 1

I hate that everything is electronic . When I was a kid my parents did not have a phone or a television.Life was wonderful.I could walk anywhere day or night without fear of getting mugged.My parents did not have a car and we walked a lot ,much healthier than people who drive everywhere even to go out to buy a newspaper.

We listened to the radio or had conversations.My grand kids cannot envision a life like that. 

I do not drive,I do not have a kindle or a nook.I watch very little television.I try and enjoy life the way I remembered it.

On 2/12/2019 at 8:55 PM, SRF said:

I don't  read romance novels, but Tami Hoag does some good mysteries with a romance aspect.  As well as romance novels (I have picked up one or two by mistake).

Thank you!!! I was recommended Tami Hoag ages ago and just couldn't remember  her name, love reading :-)

I take a kindle on a cruise, but my OH and kids take "real books".  I read a lot and love that I know I will always have a book to read.  I normally use the black screen with sepia font as its much easier on the eyes.  I am on my 3rd kindle after wearing two out.   But I always buy my kids books and they borrow from the local library every week.  

Without wading into a book vs e-reader debate,  my parents both have e-readers my mum due to her arthritis, she cant hold a book any longer but can manage her lightweight e reader.  My dad uses an e-reader  due to his sight loss, he can make the font very large (much larger than the large print books).  The technology has allowed both parents to continue reading.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cabin4three said:

I take a kindle on a cruise, but my OH and kids take "real books".  I read a lot and love that I know I will always have a book to read.  I normally use the black screen with sepia font as its much easier on the eyes.  I am on my 3rd kindle after wearing two out.   But I always buy my kids books and they borrow from the local library every week.  

Without wading into a book vs e-reader debate,  my parents both have e-readers my mum due to her arthritis, she cant hold a book any longer but can manage her lightweight e reader.  My dad uses an e-reader  due to his sight loss, he can make the font very large (much larger than the large print books).  The technology has allowed both parents to continue reading.

41 minutes ago, cabin4three said:

Technology has done wonders for medical problems.I was referring to general use.

• Like 1

Love our Kindle Paperwhites.  We can read them in the direct sun, in the dark or anything between.  And we usually keep at least 100 unread books loaded so that we can read what appeals to us at the time.  Years ago, DW and I used to carry many pounds of Paperbacks on our long cruises :(.  Now, our Kindles that only weigh a few ounces can hold over 1000.  And there are ways to get most books without having to pay anything.

Hank

On 2/25/2019 at 4:50 PM, cabin4three said:

I take a kindle on a cruise, but my OH and kids take "real books".  

I’m racking my brain to figure out what OH means. DH I know and use, but OH has me stymied!

Outrageous Husband? Obstinate Husband?

Out-Of-This-World Husband? 

Help!

On 2/17/2019 at 3:36 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Not really scary if you think about it.  If libraries don't start doing this, they won't survive.  As I understand it publishers have some pretty tough restrictions on how libraries can lend e-books.  Hopefully that will get worked out so libraries can enter the 21st century and more people can have access to even more books.  

PS: I thought "OH" = "Other Half".  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

I'm a paper book addict.  I take several paperback books with me and donate them along the way.  I give them to used book stores, to libraries, to airline stewards, to ship's libraries...  on my South America cruise last year there was an unofficial book swap in one of the lounges.

16 minutes ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

I'm a paper book addict.  I take several paperback books with me and donate them along the way.  I give them to used book stores, to libraries, to airline stewards, to ship's libraries...  on my South America cruise last year there was an unofficial book swap in one of the lounges.

There are zero used book stores in the town I live in.Libraries no longer accept donations of books. I donate books to Salvation Army and ship's libraries .