Shorts not allowed anywhere except the buffet ?

We were just on the Mariner and could not believe what kind of dress code or lack of was allowed in the dining room. Bathing suit bottoms and a little tube top! Come on Royal, don't let the almighty dollar dictate your rules!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Symphony in January.  Many men and women wore shorts in the main dining room at dinner time.  We even saw shorts on formal night.  And on one night- a woman wearing a bathing suit with a short cover-up.  Also, they now allow men to wear  baseball caps at any meal.  Quite a change since we first starting cruising 30 some years ago.  It does make packing easier; but I think we've become too relaxed.  (My personal opinion)

• Like 9

4 hours ago, cruise1sttime said:

Looking at description of various dining options onboard Allure, looks like shorts are not allowed in most.

However YouTube shows people wearing shorts on the ship. 

Do people keep going to their rooms to change clothes everytime they want to eat ?

On my last 3 cruises there were a ton of shorts in all dining venues and the D lounge  On the Feb. 2 Symphony on the last formal night, we ate in Hooked Seafood and we were one of the few dressed formal.  Lots of shorts & polos. 

• Like 1

The sense of self-respect (or lack of) people have these days is appalling!  Shoot - I feel awkward wearing a baseball cap when grabbing a lunch at a rest area on the highway, I would NEVER consider wearing one in a dining venue on a cruise ship (well, MAYBE the Windjammer, because I think I have)

A similar sense of disgust can be applied to what some people wear when getting on a plane.  Even when traveling for personal reasons, I don't feel right in anything less than jeans and a polo.

Maybe I'm old-school?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cruise1sttime said:

Looking at description of various dining options onboard Allure, looks like shorts are not allowed in most.

Do people keep going to their rooms to change clothes everytime they want to eat ?

That's what you did 30 yrs ago. I remember changing serval times a day in and out of swimwear just to eat in the MDR. They didn't   have all of the dining choices that they have now so they were able to enforce the dress code. I don't know why they continue with formal night. It should be called come as you are night.

• Like 1

the dress code only applies to dinner.   the only real prohibition at all hours is no swimsuits on any venue at any time without a cover up.  

officially,  you can be turned away in  shorts  at the MDR and any specialty dining  venue.

unofficially, YMMV.  my personal experience is the specialties tend to  frown on shorts for dinner.   the MDR they only get squirrels on formal nights.   although last cruise they were pretty strict on  the no flip flops ever rule.  

4 minutes ago, hallux said:

The sense of self-respect (or lack of) people have these days is appalling!  Shoot - I feel awkward wearing a baseball cap when grabbing a lunch at a rest area on the highway, I would NEVER consider wearing one in a dining venue on a cruise ship (well, MAYBE the Windjammer, because I think I have)

A similar sense of disgust can be applied to what some people wear when getting on a plane.  Even when traveling for personal reasons, I don't feel right in anything less than jeans and a polo.

Maybe I'm old-school?

Yes, you are old school.  Just like the generation above you would be disgusted you don't wear a suite when you fly.  Life is a lot more pleasant when you accept time changes.

• Like 12

6 hours ago, cruise1sttime said:

No they don't keep going back to change. 

Wear whatever you want, whenever you want. 

As long as you're not at the extreme in a wet bathing suit you're likely going to be fine.  

The only people that care are on this website.  Their opinion has a lot of weight in their own homes. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We enjoy dressing up and really do wish the cruise lines would enforce the dress codes.  It is our feeling the cruise lines are afraid to say anything for fear of making a passenger mad. We do not care what others wear, but I wear a long shirt and fancy tops and my husband wears his tux.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, shippmates said:

We enjoy dressing up and really do wish the cruise lines would enforce the dress codes.  It is our feeling the cruise lines are afraid to say anything for fear of making a passenger mad. We do not care what others wear, but I wear a long shirt and fancy tops and my husband wears his tux.  Enjoy your cruise.

If you don't care what other people wear, why do you wish they'd enforce the dress code?  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

If you don't care what other people wear, why do you wish they'd enforce the dress code?  

I guess I am one of the few people that feel rules are made to be followed by everyone.  I do not see rules that say it applies to everyone but you.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, shippmates said:

I guess I am one of the few people that feel rules are made to be followed by everyone.  I do not see rules that say it applies to everyone but you.  

So you're upset not because of what they're wearing, but because they're not following the SUGGESTIONS?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As stated the suggested dress is for dining venues.  The rest of the ship is not affected.  Here is the suggested dress copied from Royal Caribbean's website. You can interpret them as you feel comfortable. 

"

"When you’re onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you’ll see, grouped by item.

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.
  • Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed. 
  • Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns. There can be 1-3 formal nights during a sailing and is at the ship’s discretion.

Formal nights:

• 3/4/5 night cruises - usually on Day 2
  • 6 night cruises - usually on day 2 and 5
  • 7 night cruises - are usually on Day 2 and 6
  • Oasis and Allure use Day 2 and 5 on Western itineraries and Day 2 and 6 on Eastern itineraries.
  • For longer cruises - Click Here 
  • Formal Night will not be offered on any of the currently scheduled Empress of the Seas sailings.

Please note that bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner."

There are many types of dress in the MDR, so wear what you want including shorts and flip flops.  People who are upset about dress code need to realize the world doesn't revolve around them and what they want people to do, say or dress.  I can dress my children the way I want, but I have no control over what others wear, so what does it matter?  Have a great cruise 🙂

Edited by KimPossible1
  • Like 1

Just now, KimPossible1 said:

People who are upset about dress code need to realize the world doesn't revolve around them and what they think and want people to do, say or dress

The same could be said for those that choose to wear shorts and flip-flops to the main dining room.  Would that attire be allowed in any decent restaurant on land?  I'm talking places that are a step up from chains.

• Like 4

Preppy style golf shorts are very different from gym shorts or swim trunks. The former is commonly seen in the MDR aside from formal night. Swim trunks would not be commonly seen. No idea if they would sent you back to change.

My partner throws a sport coat over his best Hawaiian shirt for formal night, gasp. We do enjoy the people watching though and appreciate the efforts of the tux and ballgown folks. You look fabulous! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Maybe I'm old-school?

Well, my "adult" kids will not wear a baseball cap, or walk into the MDR wearing shorts, and flip flops.  Those that believe in the so called "old school" are just people who are "respectful" of themselves and others.  Just like the phrase, recommended dress code, really means, that they are politely telling you to respect the place, and dress in your big boy clothes. Some people think it means, it is optional because they did not directly tell you what you should already know.  (I wear jeans and a polo on flights).

• Like 5