Shorts not allowed anywhere except the buffet ?

Just now, papaflamingo said:

As stated the suggested dress is for dining venues.  The rest of the ship is not affected.  Here is the suggested dress copied from Royal Caribbean's website. You can interpret them as you feel comfortable. 

"

"When you’re onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you’ll see, grouped by item.

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.
  • Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed. 
  • Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns. There can be 1-3 formal nights during a sailing and is at the ship’s discretion.

Formal nights:

• 3/4/5 night cruises - usually on Day 2
  • 6 night cruises - usually on day 2 and 5
  • 7 night cruises - are usually on Day 2 and 6
  • Oasis and Allure use Day 2 and 5 on Western itineraries and Day 2 and 6 on Eastern itineraries.
  • For longer cruises - Click Here 
  • Formal Night will not be offered on any of the currently scheduled Empress of the Seas sailings.

Please note that bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner."

Suggested not required/compulsory. This has changed since I began cruising. I will most likely wear nice shorts with boat shoes and a decent shirt on my upcoming cruise where in years past I would have worn khakis, button downs, and nice shoes. 

I wish RCI would just do away with the “suggested” dress.  It would end the  comments from both ends of the spectrum.   I’m old school and would only wear jeans on the first and last day and dress up on formal night.  It would really bother me when other people wouldn’t follow the suggested dress codes but I’m trying to ignore it.   On our last cruise, our table mates defined formal as wearing Hawaiian shirts and no shorts.  I do agree that hats are unacceptable.  We were raised to always take off your hat when entering a room.

• Like 4

I am “old school” too.  I have seen men being asked to take off their baseball caps in the dining room and I appreciate that.  I do think shorts should not be allowed in the dining rooms at dinner.

Quick story — about rules are for everyone else.  A few cruises ago there was a guy in the diamond lounge ranting about people who don’t follow the rules.  He had seen a woman that he believed not to be handicapped taking up some space in the handicapped area of the theater.  He “told her off”.  A bit later he arose from his chair to go to the dining room — wearing shorts.  This was a dining room where it was known that the head waiters would ask gentlemen to change into long pants.  His comment — Oh, I think I’ll be able to get in — I’ll just sneak in.   So an example of rules are for everyone else. 😁  Katherine

Edited by Lady Hudson
  • Like 3

I always thought the "Suggestion" was an example or  suggestion of what clothing is appropriate for each category.  Most on CC don't share my interpretation and  these days on RCCL  it really doesn't matter what anyone wears.  I see a mix  of levels of dress on each cruise.  I see everything from shorts to evening gowns/suites/and an occasional tux on formal night.  Funny,  often I see more formal type dress than is noted on CC.   

M

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Lately we’ve even noticed the staff wearing shorts in the specialty restaurants.

As regular Speciality restaurant patrons sailing in Europe we have never witnessed the staff in shorts,they are always in their waiters uniforms.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

I am “old school” too.  I have seen men being asked to take off their baseball caps in the dining room and I appreciate that.  I do think shorts should not be allowed in the dining rooms at dinner.

Quick story — about rules are for everyone else.  A few cruises ago there was a guy in the diamond lounge ranting about people who don’t follow the rules.  He had seen a woman that he believed not to be handicapped taking up some space in the handicapped area of the theater.  He “told her off”.  A bit later he arose from his chair to go to the dining room — wearing shorts.  This was a dining room where it was known that the head waiters would ask gentlemen to change into long pants.  His comment — Oh, I think I’ll be able to get in — I’ll just sneak in.   So an example of rules are for everyone else. 😁  Katherine

Good story and what a hypocrite he was.

We always dress smartly but that is our way,what anyone else wears is up to them or the maitreD.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

As regular Speciality restaurant patrons sailing in Europe we have never witnessed the staff in shorts,they are always in their waiters uniforms.

I guess they have different standards in Europe.  In the Caribbean we’ve seen them wearing shorts.  This has also been on Oasis class ships which tend to be more casual.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

When we were on Liberty in Nov. I was pleasantly surprised by how folks dressed in the MDR.  No matter what night it was, the majority dressed somewhere near the suggested attire.  Of course there were a few who didn't comply but thankfully everyone around us did. Our one night at Chops every man had on at least a tie or an open collared shirt with blazer.  I prefer eating at places that don't feel like I'm eating at a shopping mall food court.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I prefer eating at places that don't feel like I'm eating at a shopping mall food court.

I guess this is the part that confuses me.  The thing that gives me the feeling i am eating at a shopping mall food court... is the shopping mall, not the other customers.  If half the people were wearing suits I would still feel like I am eating in a shopping mall food court though think it must be business people lunch rush or something.

On a cruise ship... I am on a freaking cruise ship.  The sea doesn't disappear if someone walks in with a baseball cap.  It's also not like the food is some michelin starred 15 course tasting menu.  I think in socal the food would be worthy of like 1.5 - 2 yelp stars.

12 hours ago, hallux said:

The same could be said for those that choose to wear shorts and flip-flops to the main dining room.  Would that attire be allowed in any decent restaurant on land?  I'm talking places that are a step up from chains.

From socal, I don't think any restaurant would throw you out for shorts and flip-flops.  Anyone's money is as good as anyone else's.  Who cares if you saved for a year to afford a nice restaurant or if it's a drop in a bucket of your entertainment expense.  Everyone is paying for the product, everyone's money is as good as everyone else's.

Edited by UnorigionalName
heinous usage of ellipses
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

I guess this is the part that confuses me.  The thing that gives me the feeling i am eating at a shopping mall food court... is the shopping mall, not the other customers.  If half the people were wearing suits I would still feel like I am eating in a shopping mall food court though think it must be business people lunch rush or something.

On a cruise ship... I am on a freaking cruise ship.  The sea doesn't disappear if someone walks in with a baseball cap.  It's also not like the food is some michelin starred 15 course tasting menu.  I think in socal the food would be worthy of like 1.5 - 2 yelp stars.

From socal, I don't think any restaurant would throw you out for shorts and flip-flops.  Anyone's money is as good as anyone else's.  Who cares if you saved for a year to afford a nice restaurant or if it's a drop in a bucket of your entertainment expense.  Everyone is paying for the product, everyone's money is as good as everyone else's.

That is pushing it recently.

BTW I agree with everything you said. 

23 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

There are many SoCal restaurants that I have been to that mercilessly enforce their dress code. That you have not been to them doesn't make them disappear.

It ought not to confuse you at all. To me it all seems so simple. Dining isn't always just about the food. The experience plays into the enjoyment for me. The level of service, the degree to which others treat the event as special, the decor of the restaurant, the view and on and on I could catalog.  I understand that everyone isn't going to conform to what my preference is.  It doesn't mean that I don't have the preference or that my preference is in any way invalid. I recognize that each cruiser has free will and the RC doesn't enforce their dress codes and so I will take what I get without a verbal complaint on the ship.  However, that certainly doesn't preclude me from posting on CC and suggesting people upgrade their standard of dress because I feel like that will upgrade everyones experience.

My next cruise we have purchased the unlimited dining package so will only be eating in the specialty restaurants.  We'll see how that affects things.

Edited by Tree_skier

12 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

My partner throws a sport coat over his best Hawaiian shirt for formal night, gasp. We do enjoy the people watching though and appreciate the efforts of the tux and ballgown folks. You look fabulous! 

Exactly what I do.   At this stage in my life, I only wear ties to weddings and funerals.

Personal Opinion to follow.....

• Frankly, I really don't care what people wear to the dining room.   I'm there with my friends and I don't really look at others as they walk in.   To each his own.
  • If you want a high end experience, you may want to look at a high end cruise line, which RCL is not.  I see RCL as the Outback Steakhouse of the Seas.   Too many folks want it to be a Capital Grille or a Morton's, but its just not.  It is a nice cruise line, and in my mind, a certain step up from the McDonalds of the Seas (Carnival).   Even within the RCL family, you have Celebrity which, from what I hear tends to run a little more upscale.   I'll learn more in Feb 2020 when I take my first Celebrity cruise.
  • I have seen people turned away for inappropriate dress at dinner in the MDR.   It's typically pool gear.
  • You'll definitely see shorts in the MDR on embarkation day, because not every has gotten their luggage yet.
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, rbschultz said:

Suggested not required/compulsory. This has changed since I began cruising. I will most likely wear nice shorts with boat shoes and a decent shirt on my upcoming cruise where in years past I would have worn khakis, button downs, and nice shoes. 

what are boat shoes?

13 hours ago, hallux said:

The same could be said for those that choose to wear shorts and flip-flops to the main dining room.  Would that attire be allowed in any decent restaurant on land?  I'm talking places that are a step up from chains.

Honestly these mass market cruise lines are on par with chain restaurants. There is noting up scale about them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

The level of service, the degree to which others treat the event as special, the decor of the restaurant, the view and on and on I could catalog.  

Decor is nice, but same daily.  There is nothing special about MDR formal nights once specialty dining became so prevalent.  It's not the best meal, not the best service by any means.  This is on purpose.  You don't notice waiter frantically rushing around, CONSTANTLY, them trying to sell you specialty dinner WHILE you dine in MDR, taking pics while eating, I guess you've never had staff so busy it takes 20-30-40 minutes to get a water refill?  Nothing about this encourages me to "up" my participation.  90 minutes in a suit and you leave the dining room and exactly zero other events surrounding formal night. 

The cruise line got cheap; this exists for portrait photos and nothing else.  You even get to "Choose 3" like your local neighborhood microwave frozen food chain. 

Anyways here is reality: 

Breakfast; no one cares

Lunch; no one cares

Dinner; no one cares except on this website they shame men for wearing golf shorts.  Ever hear of anyone complaining about women or a woman being turned away?  Nope.  First and last night don't count.  Casual nights don't count.  People only get mad that men won't wear a suit, for no reason, for 90 minutes once or twice a week.  

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 2

Forget the  shoe discussions.  NO ONE cares about what shoes folks  wearing in the dining room.  The only shoe restrictions are for specific sport venues  or tours where you must be in closed toe shoes.  And of course, shoes  (I've seen bedroom shoes, ) must be worn in any  any dining venue. 

M

14 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Decor is nice, but same daily.  There is nothing special about MDR formal nights once specialty dining became so prevalent.  It's not the best meal, not the best service by any means.  This is on purpose.  You don't notice waiter frantically rushing around, CONSTANTLY, them trying to sell you specialty dinner WHILE you dine in MDR, taking pics while eating, I guess you've never had staff so busy it takes 20-30-40 minutes to get a water refill?  Nothing about this encourages me to "up" my participation.  90 minutes in a suit and you leave the dining room and exactly zero other events surrounding formal night. 

The cruise line got cheap; this exists for portrait photos and nothing else.  You even get to "Choose 3" like your local neighborhood microwave frozen food chain. 

Anyways here is reality: 

Breakfast; no one cares

Lunch; no one cares

Dinner; no one cares except on this website they shame men for wearing golf shorts.  Ever hear of anyone complaining about women or a woman being turned away?  Nope.  First and last night don't count.  Casual nights don't count.  People only get mad that men won't wear a suit, for no reason, for 90 minutes once or twice a week.  

I'm just surprised that Royal Caribbean has gone the way of Celebrity with changing the name of formal night. I would be less likely  to dress formally on Royal than on Celebrity 

Edited by Iamcruzin