Shorts not allowed anywhere except the buffet ?

Oh dear, I feel I’ve opened a hornets nest, I like to dress up and will, even wearing cocktail dresses on non-formal nights, but as I said everyone to their own, I won’t blink an eye. There are many reasons why people choose to dress or not to dress and that’s entirely up to them. Please live and let live.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, vinob said:

Oh dear, I feel I’ve opened a hornets nest, I like to dress up and will, even wearing cocktail dresses on non-formal nights, but as I said everyone to their own, I won’t blink an eye. There are many reasons why people choose to dress or not to dress and that’s entirely up to them. Please live and let live.

Exactly. 

I think once a person sits down, no one will see their shorts.  On the other hand if some lady is wearing a top and the boobs are hanging out, that might be a distraction.

Seriously I once asked a person who worked in the dining room about dress code, and they actually enjoy seeing a variety and when they have their meetings, they share stories of the strange clothes they have seen.

I think in the end mostly bathing suits and bare feet are a no no.

Cruise lines are competitive and they want people to relax and enjoy themselves.

Also, perhaps another thought is that folks travel with only carry on luggage and therefore pack little variety in clothes.

In the end, to each's own.  But really men's legs and knees at night are kinda of ugly.  And some women as well.  ha ha

3 minutes ago, Carnival4U said:

But a welcome one!

That depends.     A license should be required for public wearing of  tube tops or yoga pants for the ladies,  and bike pants or sleeveless t's for men.   ( I would not be allowed a license for either).

Edited by zdad59

Just  FYI, my DH was asked to change his no sleeve T shirt at breakfast in MDR , which he did go back to  our room and changed into a  regular sleeved T shirt.  No matter what you say,  cloths do have an important role in society, and by you choosing not to go by the suggested  dress code, you are being disrespectful to those that do choose to follow the suggestions.   And yes it offends me to see and then smell the adult male that wore the same T shirt  (unless he bought 9 with the same writing on it) every night to dinner as I passed him in the MDR.  (Don't give me  maybe his luggage didn't make it,  more likely he is one of you that only packs a carry on size of luggage, and choses to wear what he could pack in it.  Change with the times, yes there are many good changes and then there are many things that were better in the years gone by (or before you were born) the good old days as some  would say.  But then this is just my opinion and not that of the majority on this topic.

38 minutes ago, Sunnyside up said:

Just  FYI, my DH was asked to change his no sleeve T shirt at breakfast in MDR , which he did go back to  our room and changed into a  regular sleeved T shirt.  No matter what you say,  cloths do have an important role in society, and by you choosing not to go by the suggested  dress code, you are being disrespectful to those that do choose to follow the suggestions.   And yes it offends me to see and then smell the adult male that wore the same T shirt  (unless he bought 9 with the same writing on it) every night to dinner as I passed him in the MDR.  (Don't give me  maybe his luggage didn't make it,  more likely he is one of you that only packs a carry on size of luggage, and choses to wear what he could pack in it.  Change with the times, yes there are many good changes and then there are many things that were better in the years gone by (or before you were born) the good old days as some  would say.  But then this is just my opinion and not that of the majority on this topic.

Hmmm I only carry a large carry on rolling duffle for a 7 day cruise, and I never repeat clothes with the exception of my pajamas, and my swim trunks. I wouldn't assume that carry on folks don't pack enough, I think some of us are just really good planners/packers. 

• IMO (no doubt someone will put me right), I think that on cruises in the European region you will find lots of people in long pants and dresses in the evening due to cooler climate, however, can totally understand that on Caribbean cruises people want to wear shorts etc on an evening due to humidity, and yes I know MDR and restaurants are air-conditioned but there are lots of the evening activities take place on deck, so shorts make sense. I know the few times we have been to the Caribbean and the sunshine state of Florida we have been greatly affected by the humidity.

11 hours ago, Sunnyside up said:

My hubby also got turned away from breakfast in the dining room for a sleeveless tee. It was actually annoying considering the other dress code violations that were allowed all week long. 

59 minutes ago, RG306 said:

My hubby also got turned away from breakfast in the dining room for a sleeveless tee. It was actually annoying considering the other dress code violations that were allowed all week long. 

No one wants to look at hairy armpits, especially at breakfast. Have a little respect for fellow diners. 

Well that’s pretty presumptuous lol. There couldn’t possibly be anything more disrespectful than a sleeveless shirt on a man, the horror of it all 🙄. My point is was better dressed and more covered up than many of the people in the dining room.  Since it was a port day many people were in swim gear and cover ups. It’s silly that the dress code at breakfast is the only time that gets enforced.