Shorts not allowed anywhere except the buffet ?

And, I ordered sea bass (they call it something else), so double shame to me!  I do try to never order it, since it is overfished [emoji20]

I would not worry about it. Many different species of fish are served as Sea Bass. And a high percentage of fish served at restaurants and bought at markets are mislabeled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I always go topless on all of our cruises on sea days while lounging around soaking up the rays and suds.  

The intriguing question here is who wrote this response....Dave or Kathy ???

😁😁

5 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Fortunately, no hairy armpits, and I shower daily and wear clean clothes, so I don’t think I was stinky 🙂

A related question: when eating in the MDR, are beads appropriate for my armpit hair braids?  Or, should I go with something less conspicuous?

15 minutes ago, Btank said:

A related question: when eating in the MDR, are beads appropriate for my armpit hair braids?  Or, should I go with something less conspicuous?

Beads are fine if they are nice beads.

• Haha 2

All kidding aside: cruising with my mentally disabled older brother gives me a different perspective on this.  He can and will dress up for formal nights - but only under duress, and not without stress for him.  If formal night falls on a port day when we might have eaten lunch off the ship, then we'll look at a venue such as the buffet.  If it's a sea day when we might have already eaten two buffet meals already... well then, it's the MDR or one of the specialty restaurants.  I always make sure that he's wearing a clean pair of jeans and a clean short-sleeve shirt (he tends to get his shirts dirty during the day).  He'd feel funny if I put on a coat & tie,... I'll dress in slacks and a nice polo shirt so that he doesn't feel too out of place.

If having someone walk by wearing jeans and a casual shirt spoils someone's evening out because they were expecting him to dress up... well, we go on 7 days cruises, so they ought to consider the ~98.8% of their cruise that didn't present them with this paradox.  But, an important part of the cruise for him is the eating - and I enjoy watching him eat good food.

--bruce T.

P. S.  Our last cruise?  On the Celebrity Eclipse.  Nobody said a word about it, and our neighbors at the next table in the MDR enjoyed his company just as much as they did the other nights.

19 hours ago, nelblu said:

You will be, if you really get fancy every night.  Try not to overdo it and wear a hat and white gloves--the old fashioned way.:classic_biggrin:   At least you are not putting down those Pax that do not follow the suggested code.

I actually did wear wrist length black gloves (no hat though) on a Princess cruise for formal evening.  It was fun for me and delighted one of my table mates.

15 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Not only are they clothing optional they also have theme rooms. Use your imagination. No need to hang an upside down pineapple on those charters as  swinging is already implied.

I'm not familiar with these cruises (or lifestyles), but I didn't think clothing optional necessarily had anything to do with swinging or swinging with clothing optional.

6 minutes ago, Btank said:

All kidding aside: cruising with my mentally disabled older brother gives me a different perspective on this.  He can and will dress up for formal nights - but only under duress, and not without stress for him.  If formal night falls on a port day when we might have eaten lunch off the ship, then we'll look at a venue such as the buffet.  If it's a sea day when we might have already eaten two buffet meals already... well then, it's the MDR or one of the specialty restaurants.  I always make sure that he's wearing a clean pair of jeans and a clean short-sleeve shirt (he tends to get his shirts dirty during the day).  He'd feel funny if I put on a coat & tie,... I'll dress in slacks and a nice polo shirt so that he doesn't feel too out of place.

If having someone walk by wearing jeans and a casual shirt spoils someone's evening out because they were expecting him to dress up... well, we go on 7 days cruises, so they ought to consider the ~98.8% of their cruise that didn't present them with this paradox.  But, an important part of the cruise for him is the eating - and I enjoy watching him eat good food.

--bruce T.

P. S.  Our last cruise?  On the Celebrity Eclipse.  Nobody said a word about it, and our neighbors at the next table in the MDR enjoyed his company just as much as they did the other nights.

I suspect clean and respectful of the venue is more important to most than the actual clothing items.  It sounds like you were both reasonably dressed for the occasion and I am glad that you were able to enjoy the meal together.

I consider MDR evening meals to be more like a banquet hall than a restaurant, for both dress and food expectations.  When I think of events at banquet halls what comes to mind are wedding receptions, funeral meals, and holiday or work related functions.  

On 2/11/2019 at 2:26 AM, cruise1sttime said:

Looking at description of various dining options onboard Allure, looks like shorts are not allowed in most.

However YouTube shows people wearing shorts on the ship. 

Do people keep going to their rooms to change clothes everytime they want to eat ?

Where them everywhere if you want. Rules have changed. Of course some people say you have to dress up but to each their own. I could care less if you are wearing a tank top in main dining room.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:17 PM, Btank said:

All kidding aside: cruising with my mentally disabled older brother gives me a different perspective on this....

I always make sure that he's wearing a clean pair of jeans and a clean short-sleeve shirt (he tends to get his shirts dirty during the day).  He'd feel funny if I put on a coat & tie,... I'll dress in slacks and a nice polo shirt so that he doesn't feel too out of place.

I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again 🙂.... honestly, I just care that people are clean and not stinky 🙂. Kudos to you for cruising with your brother 🙂. Wish I could do a family cruise!   Jealous!

I’ve been on the Allure, Mariner, Liberty, Radiance (2x), and Symphony in June. Outside of the formal nights, I’ve worn a nice pair of shorts with a polo or button down to the MDR and specialty restaurants multiple times. I was far from alone and never felt out of place. Gym shorts, swim trunks, etc., are definitely not appropriate in my humble opinion. I suit up for work five times a week and a vacation where I have to dress up is not a vacation to me. I pay way to much to not dress in what I am comfortable in. Those who claim people in shorts negatively impact their dining experience choose to be miserable and simply need to re-think what should matter and not matter. I for one could care less if someone at the table next to me showed up in a tuxedo or tank top. Wear what you are comfortable wearing during your well deserved and hard earned vacation. Don’t worry about what others think. Enjoy your cruise!

Here is my 2 cents. Mid 40s, and my job is a jeans and t shirt kind of job. 

I refuse use to buy a suit to wear for 2-3 hours a year, and refuse to apologize to the folks that bothers in the MDRs. One cruise I wore a sport coat, but set it on the back of my chair because I was too warm. 

This is what I have worn for my 15 cruises every night in the MDRs. Khaki pants with either a polo shirt or short sleeve button down shirt. 

For me the main dining room experience begins and ends at my table for me. I refuse to let how others dress and act impact my experience, life is too short. We have had great conversations with couples seated next to us on RCCL and Celebrity which can definitely  be a bonus. On Disney, we had some awful table mates, they even made the serving team uncomfortable, but our family still had a grand time:)

Someday I would like to sail Cunard, and if we do I will need to include dress clothes as part of the cruise fare:)

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Here is my 2 cents. Mid 40s, and my job is a jeans and t shirt kind of job. 

I refuse use to buy a suit to wear for 2-3 hours a year, and refuse to apologize to the folks that bothers in the MDRs. One cruise I wore a sport coat, but set it on the back of my chair because I was too warm. 

This is my stand also.  I will be wearing dress pants and blouses. 

My son will have a button down shirt to wear the formal nights with a pair of black dress pants and tie.  On non formal nights he might have on shorts and decent t-shirt.  The way he is growing I don't want to spend money on clothes he will only wear for this short time.  I hope he doesn't outgrow anything else before the cruise.  There are times I could take a pair of pants that fit him the week before and wouldn't fit on the cruise.  He is 12 years old and 5' 10 1/2" (a few weeks ago).

Everyone enjoy their own cruise.

16 hours ago, Jasonmom said:

This is my stand also.  I will be wearing dress pants and blouses. 

My son will have a button down shirt to wear the formal nights with a pair of black dress pants and tie.  On non formal nights he might have on shorts and decent t-shirt.  The way he is growing I don't want to spend money on clothes he will only wear for this short time.  I hope he doesn't outgrow anything else before the cruise.  There are times I could take a pair of pants that fit him the week before and wouldn't fit on the cruise.  He is 12 years old and 5' 10 1/2" (a few weeks ago).

Everyone enjoy their own cruise.

I feel your pain on finding clothes for a growing boy.  We barely found pants that fit for my ultra skinny (26" waist), tall 14 year old at the start of the school year.  Those pants are now starting to show a little ankle and we have a cruise in June.  Maybe I should get him a dress kilt if we can't find a good tailor for alterations.