Blue Diamond vs Anderson's?

Barwick Cruiser

Anyone travelled to the Blue Mountains with either or both of these companies and have a preference.  From what I've read they both seem to offer the exact same tour but BD currently has an online booking discount $199 vs 249 with Anderson's.  Big difference for me with two of us going!

Thanks for any insights!

Cathy

If you're interested this is a very, very easy DIY day.   Taxi to train station, train to blue mountains, hop on hop off gives really good information,  our bus driver even got off of the bus & gave narration.  I'd highly recommend including Scenic World in your day (separate ticket)

We booked with Anderson's all day tour of the Blue Mountains last year and at the last minute, they cancelled the tour, without explanation, and wanted to rebook us for the following day but that was the day we were leaving Sydney.  So they arranged for us to tour with AAT King's tours and we had a very enjoyable day.

Thanks everyone!  Sorry matamanoa for your cancellation, that would really upset our plans!!  We are only in Sydney for three nights and one of those days is a Sunday which isn't a day they run the tours.  Once we have our accommodation sorted we'll be booking most likely with Blue Diamond, unless Anderson's is willing to match prices.  We could DIY, as suggested,  but the tours cover quite a few spots and since we've never been before we'll feel better having someone else look after the logistics.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was just researching the same and came across a discount for Andersons via Expedia or Tripadvisor for their all inclusive tour. We won't be there until October, so if you are there before us please let me know which you choose and how you liked it.

We went with Blue Diamond last April and had a wonderful time, so much so I'm doing it again this year.

You should consider bus size.  Blue Diamond (or maybe other smaller buses) will take you to a couple of lookouts that cannot be reached by bigger bus.

Oh yeah....it's windy up there!  Hold onto your hat and kids...one of the "secret" lookouts is not fenced but is safe enough.  I wouldn't go too close to the edge though

Edited by Freckles_51
added info

27 minutes ago, Freckles_51 said:

We went with Blue Diamond last April and had a wonderful time, so much so I'm doing it again this year.

You should consider bus size.  Blue Diamond (or maybe other smaller buses) will take you to a couple of lookouts that cannot be reached by bigger bus.

Oh yeah....it's windy up there!  Hold onto your hat and kids...one of the "secret" lookouts is not fenced but is safe enough.  I wouldn't go too close to the edge though

Thanks!!  Nothing like hearing from someone who actually took the tour!  I do like that BD uses smaller vans rather than the large buses that Anderson's does.  I have a fear of heights so I def won't be going anywhere near the edge of anything lol!!  Of course I'll still be panicking as my husband will try and get as close as he can :classic_rolleyes:

22 hours ago, Married15 said:

I was just researching the same and came across a discount for Andersons via Expedia or Tripadvisor for their all inclusive tour. We won't be there until October, so if you are there before us please let me know which you choose and how you liked it.

I saw a discount via Viator (I think that's who it was) for Blue Diamond.  I like that they have smaller vans rather than the large buses so that's probably who we'll go with but yes, I'll come back and review the tour but we don't go until December so you'll be there first!!

2 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Thanks!!  Nothing like hearing from someone who actually took the tour!  I do like that BD uses smaller vans rather than the large buses that Anderson's does.  I have a fear of heights so I def won't be going anywhere near the edge of anything lol!!  Of course I'll still be panicking as my husband will try and get as close as he can :classic_rolleyes:

Don't worry, you will get breathtaking views without going too close to the edge.  There is  cafe and gift store at Echo Point, worth a quick visit if it isn't busy.  At Scenic World we were given the option of hiking down into the valley or taking the ride.  I took the ride, my friends hiked and had more fun.  A bit of rough terrain going down but I am def going to do that this time around.  Featherdale zoo is compact and there you will be able to get a pic with a koala. There was no lineup when we arrived!  You cannot hold it but you can put your hand on it. You have to pay but worth it since your zoo entry is already included in tour price.  They will give you the pics right away and will also take pics with your own cell phone.  Buy some kangaroo food from the machine in the zoo, the kangaroos love it and you can pet them.  Now I am getting excited for my own trip...lol!

13 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I saw a discount via Viator (I think that's who it was) for Blue Diamond.  I like that they have smaller vans rather than the large buses so that's probably who we'll go with but yes, I'll come back and review the tour but we don't go until December so you'll be there first!!

Just curious, What was the discount price thru Viator?  I booked direct for $199.

Did you pay $199 AUD? If so, that is $141 USD. I think I was confused seeing the different prices. Some were in AU and some US. I think I will book Blue Diamond as well.  Not only do they have great reviews, I like the fact their van is small.

23 hours ago, Freckles_51 said:

Just curious, What was the discount price thru Viator?  I booked direct for $199.

Actually I was getting my currencies mixed up.  I'll book direct for the $199 Aus price which comes out to about 185CAD.  Viator wants $239 CD which is obviously not a good deal.  Just waiting to hear back about their cancellation policy for booking ahead.   It's a bit confusing to me.  Looks like a great smaller tour tho!

Cathy

5 hours ago, Freckles_51 said:

I paid $199 AUD, I am in Canada and it worked out to be a few $CAD less by the time credit card fee was added.  We will be there in early May.

I'm in Canada as well but will use my no fee credit card for this purchase.  Please come back on here and let us know how you liked the trip and any tips you can offer! Enjoy!!

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2019 at 5:54 PM, Barwick Cruiser said:

I'm in Canada as well but will use my no fee credit card for this purchase.  Please come back on here and let us know how you liked the trip and any tips you can offer! Enjoy!!

Hi, I'm back :-(

Our Blue Diamond tour was just as awesome as last year but slightly different.

Last year we made a toilet/coffee stop at Olympic Park before going on to Echo Point.  This time we were a bit late getting out of Sydney due to construction, so our first stop was at Echo Point where we had 20 minutes which is really not quite enough time if you want to use the facilities, get a coffee, browse the gift shop, as well as enjoy the awesome views. In addition, there were other buses arrived ahead of us whereas last year we were among the first. If you can, hold off on using the facilities or getting coffee until the next stop.

It's just a few minutes drive from there to the Skyway that takes you across the valley to Scenic World where there is a much bigger cafe, bigger gift shop, and where you take the cableway/train down/up.

The hike down into the valley was not offered this year, but it had rained a fair bit in the weeks before we arrived and maybe wasn't safe to hike down.

Scenic World was very busy, a lot more buses there than we had experienced last year.  It was a Saturday, but then we went on a Saturday last year as well, but mid-April.

We took the Cablecar down into the valley, where there are several walks that you can take, I think we did the 2.4km walk.  There are steps to go up near then end of this walk and then the train back up.

There were a few more lookout stops, and lunch at Lapstone Hotel. I think I had chicken parm last year and it was a bit dry so I had fish n chips this time which was better.  It's a good size meal.

Featherdale Zoo was much busier than last year as well.  A group got in just before us so we had a bit of a wait for the Koala pics, but not too long. If you want the pics, ask your driver to get you the $5 coupon before entering the zoo, so the cost of the pic will be $20 for one 6x8, two 4x6 and as well they will take pics with your own camera/phone. You are not allowed to hold the koalas but you stand beside them and can put your hand on the koala for the pic.

If you want to feed kangaroos, pick up a cup of the food at the entrance for $3.  Go to the Kangaroos over in the far corner of the zoo and through the gates.  We went there right after the koala pics, passing by others, and had the kangaroos to ourselves for a while. It's a compact zoo, there was enough time to see everything else afterwards.

The ferry back to Sydney was also a bit different.  Last year it was a private taxi just for our small group, this year it was the public ferry which I thought was better as it's bigger and you can sit outside for better pics.  The bus driver will give you an Opal Card for this ride.  Don't bother trying to use it later or load up more money on it as it's registered to the tour company and in our experience they cancelled it the next day.  We made the mistake of adding money to it and then couldn't use it, but I notified Blue Diamond and they apologized and refunded it without a problem.

It was a great day and I would highly recommend this company.  Whichever one you choose, hope you enjoy your time there.