What would you take?

winterblue

Hello Cruisers!

We are setting sail soon, and I would love to hear your advanced packing tips. What do you take from home that makes life on board easier? I have the power strip packed, as well as a water bottle and coffee cup. 

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions....

Winterblue

Don't forget OTC medications. They're expensive on board. I also took 6 LARGE binder clips to clip on the bottom of the shower curtain. This added some weight and length so the curtain stayed inside the shower. Clorox wipes for disinfecting your cabin. 

• Like 2

duck tape! (a smaller roll) It fixes almost anything! Suitcase breaks, ripped clothes, cord repairs, etc. It's come in handy!  Plastic bags for laundry from the last day (swim wear etc, that won;t dry)  I pack my toiletries in large ziploc freezer bags, this prevents spills from leaking all over! I bring a highlighter to mark what I might be interested in on my Fun Times! 

I'm sure there's more!!

Have a blast!!

• A small battery operated candle - romantic on the balcony and a great night light in the bathroom!
  • a large pillow case to use as a laundry sack (in the suitcase under the bed)
  • magnets to put things on the wall or door
  • OTC meds like aspirin
  • multiple phone/IPad chargers and a charging station
  • a collapsible tray to keep small things organized - we throw watches, room keys, pens etc in there.
  • a bag of your favorite candy or snack! Yes, there's lots of food on the ship, but sometimes you just want a handful of MnMs to munch on! 
  • Like 1

I hit up the trial sizes at our local pharmacy. I found the make up wipes I seldom use at home were very handy on the ship! Other products in trial sizes are sometimes useful.

My sea bands were important.

I kept a small notebook in the room to jot down things from my day I wanted to include in my review on CC When I got home.

My own washcloth I could throw away when done. Some people bring old underwear they wear and toss too so it's less to carry home.

Ziplock bags for wet bathing suits on the last day. I also like packing everything for the last day in a ziplock bag and label it in case we are not using the self assist disembark option.

A bag for packing souvenirs.

We have lots of small backpacks with a tie and we love those for excursions.

FLIP FLOPS!!!!!!!

Sunscreen and aspirin.

What happened to the responses in this thread?  I responded a few hours ago with links to other similar threads, and that has disappeared.  I remember seeing the first response saying "make sure your power strip doesn't have a surge protector", and that has disappeared too.

Mods, you deleting responses, or is this a glitchy day?

After 10 cruises, I have started to pack a lot less.  Found out I don't need a lot of the extras.  What I do bring is a "puff" for the shower (works the best with shower gel), conditioner (only shampoo is provided), a set of workout clothes for the gym, a fun lanyard for my sail and sign (found a "pearl" one at hobby lobby, it looked quite nice!), dollar bills for room service and luggage porter tips, slipper/socks for wearing around the cabin.  I stopped bringing a water bottle and coffee cup so I don't have to lug it around  (I purchase a 12 pack of water to be delivered on embarkation day).  Found out we can manage without the power strip (phones charge pretty quickly and I don't travel with other electronics).  I use the provided plastic laundry bags for dirty/wet clothing.  We use the top drawer as our "junk drawer" so don't need another catch all bin.  The steward will provide extra hangers if needed.  I unpack only our regular toiletries and there seems to be enough room in the bathroom for those.  Any "as needed" medications, etc. stay in our carry-on, so no need for the shoe organizer.  

Of course, this is just what works for me.  You need to decide how many extras you will need.  If you are running out of luggage space for the extras, my tips might come in handy.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cali-croozer said:

After 10 cruises, I have started to pack a lot less.  Found out I don't need a lot of the extras.  What I do bring is a "puff" for the shower (works the best with shower gel), conditioner (only shampoo is provided), a set of workout clothes for the gym, a fun lanyard for my sail and sign (found a "pearl" one at hobby lobby, it looked quite nice!), dollar bills for room service and luggage porter tips, slipper/socks for wearing around the cabin.  I stopped bringing a water bottle and coffee cup so I don't have to lug it around  (I purchase a 12 pack of water to be delivered on embarkation day).  Found out we can manage without the power strip (phones charge pretty quickly and I don't travel with other electronics).  I use the provided plastic laundry bags for dirty/wet clothing.  We use the top drawer as our "junk drawer" so don't need another catch all bin.  The steward will provide extra hangers if needed.  I unpack only our regular toiletries and there seems to be enough room in the bathroom for those.  Any "as needed" medications, etc. stay in our carry-on, so no need for the shoe organizer.  

Of course, this is just what works for me.  You need to decide how many extras you will need.  If you are running out of luggage space for the extras, my tips might come in handy.  

Sounds like me! :) After 20 cruises on 16 different ships we use a carry on and tote bag each. All the extra 'must haves' from years gone by have gone away. Make do, do without every so-called convenience, and save on the packing. Read all the suggestions, pick what you really NEED, and leave the extras at home. I do use a small square, non-surge box found on Amazon that is much smaller than a full power strip. 

FYI - 20 cruises, 16 ships and have yet to ever need clips on the bottom of a shower curtain. :classic_tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Power strip WITHOUT a surge protector, bubble wrap and packing tape if you like to bring home bottle of alcohol, OTC meds for reflux and headaches.

Basically, pack what you think you need, and then take out half.  Don't worry about shampoo and soap -- the ship provides that.  You don't need a beach towel -- also provided by the ship.

1 hour ago, mdsgu said:

Power strip WITHOUT a surge protector, bubble wrap and packing tape if you like to bring home bottle of alcohol, OTC meds for reflux and headaches.

Basically, pack what you think you need, and then take out half.  Don't worry about shampoo and soap -- the ship provides that.  You don't need a beach towel -- also provided by the ship.

I am picky about my shampoo and conditioner  so that is something I would always pack no matter where I go. But then again I’m a bit high maintenance in that department lol   I always enjoy reading the things people say are a must have and then others say not to take.  😆 it’s kinda interesting to me to see how different people travel and things that are important to us all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mommawo said:

I am picky about my shampoo and conditioner  so that is something I would always pack no matter where I go. But then again I’m a bit high maintenance in that department lol   I always enjoy reading the things people say are a must have and then others say not to take.  😆 it’s kinda interesting to me to see how different people travel and things that are important to us all. 

I'm with you there. With soap, too. Very sensitive skin. 🙂

• Like 1

I have learned to bring these washcloths on my next cruise.  A hot Caribbean day, sunscreen and deet are not a good mix.  With these you can wipe the stickiness off during your excursions, clean hands, faces, tables, etc.  Pair it with a travel stick of deodorant and you’re good to go for hours. 

Also packing cubes made life much simpler.  No need to unpack underwear or pajamas, just slide them in the drawers.  And they took up less space in my suitcase.  I also have the travel toiletry bag by the same compay. I liked that it could hang in the bathroom.  A hanging jewelry organizer was also nice for all the small items.  

A lightweight throw is nice to have on windy sea days.  

https://www.amazon.com/Toiletry-Cosmetic-Accessories-Toiletries-Organizer/dp/B01IHBHCOA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549841513&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=bagail+toiletry+bags&dpPl=1&dpID=51h7rkAljOL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/Packing-Various-Travel-Luggage-Organizers/dp/B01IB8Q9HA

D0AB16B2-13BD-45E3-8AC0-3A2C8F5CE7EB.jpeg

On 2/11/2019 at 3:22 PM, ProgRockCruiser said:

What happened to the responses in this thread?  I responded a few hours ago with links to other similar threads, and that has disappeared.  I remember seeing the first response saying "make sure your power strip doesn't have a surge protector", and that has disappeared too.

Mods, you deleting responses, or is this a glitchy day?

What is the 1st rule of Fight Club?

Edited by NightOne
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2019 at 9:44 AM, winterblue said:

Hello Cruisers!

We are setting sail soon, and I would love to hear your advanced packing tips. What do you take from home that makes life on board easier? I have the power strip packed, as well as a water bottle and coffee cup. 

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions....

Winterblue

Back Scratcher

Tweezers! I will never sail without them again. Stepped on a tiny piece of glass and it went into my heel. Forgot our tweezers and it looked like I was going to have to pay the high medical fee. Luckily, DH located the only tweezer left in the shop. Cost? $24.00!!!!!!!!! It did have a light......... am not complaining though as it was still a lot cheaper than a visit to medical would have cost me LOL!

9 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

We bring a small fan for air circulation in the room.

This is the first thing we make sure we have when leaving for a cruise. Ok, maybe the second thing behind making sure we have our passports.  A small fan makes a big difference in the room if it is on the warmer side. 

This is a good question, but this is what I do before any cruise.

I make a "list" (actually I have made several copies as I travel quite a bit) of everything I want to take on the trip.  It may be a cruise, or just a small trip flying to a destination.  When I get my luggage ready, each item that I am putting in my luggage, I mark that item off of my list.  Normally at the last day of packing, I just have my medicine, something to read, gum, outfit change, and maybe a couple other things, that I just put in my carry-on bag, as they are EASY to get to if necessary.

Edited by beshears
I changed my mine.