Drop Off family at Port to return car rental, and rejoin them? How far can they get?

The Fun Researcher

Every cruise we've done as a family, I've dropped off the rest of my family at the cruise port and then I've returned the rental car nearby while they waited for me to return.  They waited outside typically, and didn't go through security or anything.

However, this year I was wondering if they could just get in line and through security before I return from dropping off the rental car?  I'm trying to remember what paperwork is needed to get through security?  I would have my own passport on me, but would I need to print out two copies of our set sail passes so that I can show it to security once I return?  Or does everyone need to be present to get through the scanners at the same time, etc...

It would be nice if they could be inside and waiting and through security and I will just join them after passing through security myself.  Then we can get our seapass cards and stuff together.  Any help on the process would be appreciated.  I should remember this stuff better, but I guess it's just not that memorable for me.  :)

Thanks,

Dan

3 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I would have my own passport on me, but would I need to print out two copies of our set sail passes so that I can show it to security once I return? 

This - you can meet them at the check in line.

Just now, The Fun Researcher said:

Do I need some sort of paperwork to show at security, like a set sail pass?  They will have a copy themselves, but I normally only print out one.

The passport is enough, but the SetSail pass will save you some time - the staff doesn't have to look you up on the manifest. Depending on the ship, you may have an electronic version (SetSail) available as well.

1 minute ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I'll just print two copies of the setsail pass (one to keep with me to simply show security)

Depending on the ship, you may have to print two anyway, they are individualized per person and used to board the ship.

19 minutes ago, lizzy911 said:

Not on RC, but I have often dropped off the car and the rest of my family has boarded the ship while I take the taxi back over to port. They are normally drinking cocktails or swimming when I finally do get on the ship 🙂 

Nice!   I would rather have them do that than wait around for me. 

Dan

I was surprised that at Miami International, they have shuttles to the port for car rentals.  So, you could all return the car to the airport and hop the shuttle to the port together.  I would not be surprised if Fort Lauderdale International has the same setup.

1 minute ago, Rogueperson said:

I was surprised that at Miami International, they have shuttles to the port for car rentals.  So, you could all return the car to the airport and hop the shuttle to the port together.  I would not be surprised if Fort Lauderdale International has the same setup.

Often, it's better to drop off everyone, with bags, and then just one person return the car.  It's usually easier for one person without bags to get on a shuttle than a whole party with bags.  The latter usually means you may have to wait for several shuttles before everyone can get on the same one.

Just now, Shmoo here said:

Often, it's better to drop off everyone, with bags, and then just one person return the car.  It's usually easier for one person without bags to get on a shuttle than a whole party with bags.  The latter usually means you may have to wait for several shuttles before everyone can get on the same one.

True, but the shuttle at Miami is ONLY for car rental customers.  My experience sole experience was a barely 1/2 filled shuttle with plenty of room for luggage for everyone.  A family of four or even six would have had no problem keeping together.  Some may find staying together better than splitting up and others the opposite.  Just throwing out an option if you rent a car.

I was trying to find a hotel with a free shuttle.  I actually found one, but ended up using the car rental one because my wife and I could stay together instead of having to get back to the hotel and then on the shuttle there.

Thank you for the suggestions.  There are seven of us total and I am dropping six off at the terminal and taking the rental back to a local Avis location just about two miles from the Port. They have a return shuttle at that location I believe but I’ve experienced those enough before (and waiting way too long for them to fill it) that I will just Uber back to the terminal to save time.   I’ve done this before in Miami and it worked well. For some reason the rest of our party always just waited for me to return. This time I will just have  them all go ahead 

Dan

No answer here. Just looking at one of my old reviews. Left the house, drove 14 miles to the port, dropped off bags, parked car, proceeded through check-in, went through security, posed for photographer and got on the ship in 50 minutes.